Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I was just going off what a Kitchener reporter put out on Twitter saying it usually would open on the Saturday. Guess it was wrong, sorry
Typically the date is June 1st but with the memorial Cup going to June 2nd and a ' buffer" day for the league officials to get back to the office after festivities I've heard it is June 4th, Tuesday. Typically it runs until June 30th and then shuts back down for July for vacation time.

Also usually not that many players moved in June with OA's and players wanting to be being the usual participants.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Where was this written ? Rumor, fact, or made up? re: SHL KHL
I read it here this weekend. I have no idea if there is any truth to Delic and Musty not wanting to return to the wolves. I can believe McCoy does not want to be and that some of the wolves do not want him back.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I read it here this weekend. I have no idea if there is any truth to Delic and Musty not wanting to return to the wolves. I can believe McCoy does not want to be and that some of the wolves do not want him back.
You've been around long enough not to believe some of the things written here by some dirty..

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You've been around long enough not to believe some of the things written here by some dirty..
There was emotion attached to that post so it might not be 100% accurate, but it just takes one disgruntled player and an agent with an ego to match Papineau and things can snowball.
I think the wolves would have a formidable top six with Delic and Musty, and one that would be more likely to play a 2-way game.

Reactions: WE ARE WOLVES

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Why would some of the Wolves not want McCoy back?

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
McCoy needs to stay at least to the trade deadline. McCoy has to lead the culture change among teammates. This team needs to rid themselves of all the negativity on the bench towards coaches and teammates. If the disrespectful behaviour really exists, it’s gotta stop or be stamped out. At no level of hockey can you have a winning team when a player disrespect a coach in front of the teammates. Publicly the Wolves players state how close they are as a group. Really? How can this be?

Reactions: NorthernBridge7

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Why would some of the Wolves not want McCoy back?
He was the big get at the deadline, the one with the title expeience that made no real effort to be an influence. I think he would have had arrived with enough respect to offer insight on the bench or stare down a star not making an honest defensive effort. Instead he was seen with his head hanging and facial expressions of a beaten player.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
McCoy needs to stay at least to the trade deadline. McCoy has to lead the culture change among teammates. This team needs to rid themselves of all the negativity on the bench towards coaches and teammates. If the disrespectful behaviour really exists, it’s gotta stop or be stamped out. At no level of hockey can you have a winning team when a player disrespect a coach in front of the teammates. Publicly the Wolves players state how close they are as a group. Really? How can this be?
Wolves need a coach worthy of respect.

Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Never with the amount of control the GM has, may as well put him behind the bench

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
He was the big get at the deadline, the one with the title expeience that made no real effort to be an influence. I think he would have had arrived with enough respect to offer insight on the bench or stare down a star not making an honest defensive effort. Instead he was seen with his head hanging and facial expressions of a beaten player.

I'm glad you're watching him so intently and not the other players who are mouthing off to the coaches, yelling at their teammates on the bench and having hissy fits on the ice

There has been more than a few instances of him having to be the guy to tell some players to tone it down or not behave in a certain way but when its not being reinforced by the adults in the room and some of the other players wearing letters, its difficult to do that every day. McCoy did as much as he possibly could with this group on and off the ice, he never gave up, he always did the right thing on the ice for the situation. If some players want him out (big if) its because he's not putting up with some of their behaviour. If he is one of the players staying, which is unlikely at this point, I immediately make him captain.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
McCoy is just not the guy.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm glad you're watching him so intently and not the other players who are mouthing off to the coaches, yelling at their teammates on the bench and having hissy fits on the ice

There has been more than a few instances of him having to be the guy to tell some players to tone it down or not behave in a certain way but when its not being reinforced by the adults in the room and some of the other players wearing letters, its difficult to do that every day. McCoy did as much as he possibly could with this group on and off the ice, he never gave up, he always did the right thing on the ice for the situation. If some players want him out (big if) its because he's not putting up with some of their behaviour. If he is one of the players staying, which is unlikely at this point, I immediately make him captain.
It really seems that you also believe a player with leadership qualities was needed. Maybe instead of VanVliet and Giroux, a player like Punnet should have been brought in. If he was not heard, he certainly would have been felt in practice.
McCoy allowed it to be seen that he was a beaten player.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
It really seems that you also believe a player with leadership qualities was needed. Maybe instead of VanVliet and Giroux, a player like Punnet should have been brought in. If he was not heard, he certainly would have been felt in practice.
Beating a dead horse here, but the Van Vliet trade in particular should be a fierable offence.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Either Punnett or Mayer would have been good pickups and more helpful to the many good character kids on the team. Let's say that McCoy gave off that impression which is generally not in his overall makeup, is it his fault or is it the fault of the environment that the adults created?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Hopefully our Gm watched the Memorial Cup and was schooled on what significant moves all four teams made to reach the big show. Goaltending was the most important position when it came down to the final. Teams that believed they had a shot went all in they did not sit on the fence with there finger up there A,,,, clueless of what to do. Did we truly have a shot? I believe so, unfortunately are Gm did not have the same faith and did not go all in, he did not even sell off. This so called Gm believed our goaltending was not an issue and went forward acquiring a couple players and in the process gave away a lot. Do you think Kmac and especially the players were behind these moves when everyone was expecting a Goalie who could make a difference. This Gm should have known way before the deadline goaltending would sink us as he watched how this issue deflated our team as many games were lost by week goals and leads that turned into losses. Two more years with this guy? For Gods sake Dario get a clue, put your friendship on the back burner, think of your team, think of your fans don't leave your investment in the hands of a builder who has proven he can not build.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Either Punnett or Mayer would have been good pickups and more helpful to the many good character kids on the team. Let's say that McCoy gave off that impression which is generally not in his overall makeup, is it his fault or is it the fault of the environment that the adults created?
Just saying he is just not ‘the guy’.
Good player, good young man that could fit on a team with a leadership group in place; sure.
I would say the big 3 (combined) were too big for the team, and there was not enough character in the room to change the environment. The adults could have chosen Anania over Goyette as captain, but I think the bigger issue is the big 3 placed a bigger priority on big numbers than team success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's possible 'the guy' might not exist. Depending on the existing culture, it may be too steep a hill to climb.

Just speaking theoretically, as I have no knowledge from inside the room.
A player had to step up and make the offensive leaders accountable. If the rest did not back him up, begin the fire sale.
I was around for some harsh stuff said between teammates. I had one nearly take my head off in practice for not showing up all the time. It worked out for the best most of the time. It did not work out for a couple of non-conformists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad