Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Well looks like GB lost his job in steel town. Wonder what the wolves have planned....

yes, interesting but GB i think would want both coach and gm. Unless he decides he is ok just to do coaching duties. I think he will be picked up somewhere else, and have a job that he will do both duties.
It will be tough to attract a decent coach to work with this regime and ownership.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Even if the Wolves would be looking for a coaching change, Burnett is not the guy. He hasn't drafted well recently, preaches a boring brand of hockey and hasn't developed anyone recently. Ask long term Oshawa and Belleville people if they would take him back.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Even if the Wolves would be looking for a coaching change, Burnett is not the guy. He hasn't drafted well recently, preaches a boring brand of hockey and hasn't developed anyone recently. Ask long term Oshawa and Belleville people if they would take him back.

But Burnett and Barkley Branch have history as they worked together in Belleville, just saying ;)

billoink

Nov 18, 2013

Very true, how would you like to see Folingo head coach, Bertuzzi assistant.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
yes, interesting but GB i think would want both coach and gm. Unless he decides he is ok just to do coaching duties. I think he will be picked up somewhere else, and have a job that he will do both duties.
It will be tough to attract a decent coach to work with this regime and ownership.

Wasn't suggesting that he come at ALL!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
In my opinion, forget both Burnett and Foligno. We need new blood. A progressive coach that understands the way the game has changed. I agree with what's been said about Burnett and in my mind (as much as Sudbury loves the guy), Foligno is not suited to coach in a developmental league. His use of rookies over the years should speak volumes. Also, the era of tough, goon hockey is over and his style was mired in that. No thanks.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Hoping Lalonde is the real deal.. needs to become that stud Dman which Sudbury is in dire need of.

mobile

Feb 23, 2012
Hoping Lalonde is the real deal.. needs to become that stud Dman which Sudbury is in dire need of.

He is strong however let us not forget we need way more than one good D-man as the last 2 seasons have proven;)

billoink

Nov 18, 2013

How do you pass on Nizhnikov if he will report? His agent has stated he is considering returning to Russia to play in a league just below the KHL. This could just be a Flint thing. Branch has a BIG decision to make, I would not want to make that call. They have talked to Emberson, could that be possible? None of the scouting lists like The Scout or First Round scouting, if you buy into their lists have Lalonde in the top ten which is interesting. I am sure Barkley is on top of things and will make the right pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And, not forget that 16yr old D are unlikely to have a great impact. If the wolves are making several changes on D this coming season, let's hope one is a 17yr old import and another is acquired by trading expendable D, G, and surplus '99 born smallish left handed shooting forwards

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
let us not forget we need way more than one good D-man as the last 2 seasons have proven

Well duh lol of course.. Wolves have holes everywhere.

They have talked to Emberson, could that be possible?

Emberson is the real deal, very impressive player.

And, not forget that 16yr old D are unlikely to have a great impact.

Marc Staal did alright at 16. Doesn't need to have a great impact.. just play some solid steady defense first hockey. Wolves we'll be lucky to make playoffs anyways with current coaching staff.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well duh lol of course.. Wolves have holes everywhere.

Emberson is the real deal, very impressive player.

Marc Staal did alright at 16. Doesn't need to have a great impact.. just play some solid steady defense first hockey. Wolves we'll be lucky to make playoffs anyways with current coaching staff.

Ekblad and Chyckrun did too. And, you could tell Nurse would be good at 16; but, he wasn't a top pairing until his third year. I agree that a lot has to be invested on D. I think Lalonde & Ali (a couple of the 4th & 5th picks to play next year) is enough rookies for one year and a big investment on D.
I am ok with Lalonde (if he warants it - hockey prospects has him @23) if Nizhinkov is threatening to go pro.
I think that if the wolves limit this year's 16yr old rookie class to one or two, they will be a play off team

Last edited:

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Branch makes a minor trade with picks. Sudbury sends a 2016 6th and 12th to Kitchener for a 2018 5th (Saginaw's) and 2018 10th (Oshawa's)

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm hearing Owen Lalonde is confirmed #2 pick for the Wolves. I really like Bahl, i think with time he the best of D corp, with that size and can play PP too. i was pushing for Krill Nizhnikov but I'm sure he doesn't want come up here.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Nizhinkov may fall far if reports on the draft form that he is headed back to Russia are true.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So, Lalonde at #2. the scout ranks him #6; hockey prospects #23.
I'll guess Moskal (probably dependant on amount of ncaa & us-ntdp) with 2nd pick; and Denault & another D with 4th picks.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
So, Lalonde at #2. the scout ranks him #6; hockey prospects #23.
I'll guess Moskal (probably dependant on amount of ncaa & us-ntdp) with 2nd pick; and Denault & another D with 4th picks
For North Bay to take Moskal they would have to use their first round pick. I know for a fact that they really like him. They have no second round, so the Wolves would have to use their second round pick on him if they want him. My guess is that he is long gone by the time the Wolves select in the second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad