Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Wolves would do right if they draft Northern Ontario kids, such as Moskal, Giroux, Denault, D'agostino, Seguin etc

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I know a lot of people seem to be against the wolves taking a defencemen however I don't quite understand why, they have a boatload of young returning forwards. The defence is barren of OHL caliber talent.

They have Wilkie who I thought looked pretty solid, however beyond that there is a pretty big drop. Capobianco was a turn over machine and was lost in his own end. Mayo and Ali will be passable bottom pairing d-men this year. I'd argue Cummins, Meyer and O'Grady would all be in the 10 worst defencemen in the OHL. Adding a european defencemen and Lalonde at the second overall pick could give the team a good look coming into camp.

I'm obviously dreaming as there's no way they ship out Schmalz, Cummins, Meyer among others but I'd love to see a roster resembling the following.

Levin - Lyszczarczyk - Sokolov
Valentini - Pezzetta - OA/Schmalz
Lane - Garagan - Carson
Bulitka - Searles - Pataki

Wilkie - Euro
Lalonde - OA(Or Capobianco failing a trade)
Ali - Mayo

Timpano/Bowman
McGrath

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I know a lot of people seem to be against the wolves taking a defencemen however I don't quite understand why, they have a boatload of young returning forwards. The defence is barren of OHL caliber talent.

They have Wilkie who I thought looked pretty solid, however beyond that there is a pretty big drop. Capobianco was a turn over machine and was lost in his own end. Mayo and Ali will be passable bottom pairing d-men this year. I'd argue Cummins, Meyer and O'Grady would all be in the 10 worst defencemen in the OHL. Adding a european defencemen and Lalonde at the second overall pick could give the team a good look coming into camp.

I'm obviously dreaming as there's no way they ship out Schmalz, Cummins, Meyer among others but I'd love to see a roster resembling the following.

Lane - Garagan - Carson

Wilkie - Euro
Ali - Mayo

Timpano/Bowman
McGrath

BB has to do some magic, looking at that lineup its going to be another long season.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
BB has to do some magic, looking at that lineup its going to be another long season.

I don't disgaree, the only only brightside is they would continue to be one of the youngest teams in the OHL. The wolves need to hit a draft out of the park and hire some real coaches if they ever want it to change.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Lane - Garagan - Carson

Wilkie - Euro
Ali - Mayo

Timpano/Bowman
McGrath

O'Grady is developing well, IMO; even if I'm wrong about that, he is going no where. Assuming the wolves draft Lalonde and import D, I think Meyer, Wilkie, and Batison will not make the cut.
Capobianco/O'Grady (Capo traded in Jan?)
Import/Mayo
Ali/Lalonde
Cummins
Maybe, Timpano or Bowman; Lane or Garagan; & Meyer, Wilkie, Batison, Cummins can return enough to trade for a very good '98 or '97 D. There are still Searles & Moniz that are unsigned and uncommitted to a school. Time is running out for them.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Lalonde officially a Wolf now. Looks and sounds like rebuilding the defense is the priority for the Wolves. I would expect three new bodies this year with Cummins, Meyer, Bastasin and Mayo on bubble. Hopefully they can get at least one local player this draft.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Lalonde officially a Wolf now. Looks and sounds like rebuilding the defense is the priority for the Wolves. I would expect three new bodies this year with Cummins, Meyer, Bastasin and Mayo on bubble. Hopefully they can get at least one local player this draft.

Are any of the local kids projected to go in the first five rounds?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I can say that Moskal and Giroux will almost certainly be drafted, goalie Lamour likely, Lavallee potentially as he played in Austria last year. There are a few other local forwards and a defenseman in the mix as well.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Are you kidding me Moskal not good enough for the Wolves but plenty good enough for London.P

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Are you kidding me Moskal not good enough for the Wolves but plenty good enough for London.P

thats why we have a general manager down south scouting apparently lol. Apparently our second pick should be decent but if even go with local boy Moskal.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Not good enough for the wolves i guess. Good for him to get drafted to a real OHL franchise, and not one trying to ice a team full of 5'9" forwards.

Would hazard a guess he indicated he would not play here, only thing I could imagine. Hope Branch does see something special in Gihula broken collar bone and all. Time will tell if having your GM staying south is a good thing? I am all for it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Giroulx to Saginaw @#44. Good for him too. The spirit should be real good in a couple of years.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm ok with Branch staying down south too. Smith was at every local midget game anyway

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm ok with Branch staying down south too. Smith was at every local midget game anyway

at the end the day a lot of the cream of the crop players dictate where they go. Look at Nizhinkov, no way he should slip to Steelheads, what does that tell you? So what benefits if BB is down there when players won't come up waste of time. There were a lot of better players that could take over Lalonde in my IMO.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Gihula is a scoring machine, in 2014-15 as a bantam aaa 47 goals 51 a 68pm in 64 games. Last year was on a similar pace before breaking his collar bone, came back for playoffs 9 games 7 goals with 17 helpers We beat London to the draw on this one. Branch scores big time.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Sorry Cub how many games have you watched Lalonde play?

i have seen highlights of him I'm sure he is a decent pick, i believe Connor Roberts, Krill Niiznikov, Akil Thomas would be my picks over him.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Love to see the Wolves go with a flyer with the next pick, how about Emberson? fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad