Stutzle or Byfield

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Coming from a Byfield fanboy, I can say that he plays nothing at all like Lindros. Unfortunately.

People dont realize that even for his size, Lindros was freakishly strong. He was a generational athlete for his sport in that he was just a cut above everyone else in terms of size and power, like Shaq was for the NBA. And above all else, Lindros was a mean SOB. He was a one man wrecking crew, it was filthy to watch.
Who would you compare Byfield to?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Who would you compare Byfield to?

In the same vein as Kopitar/E. Staal, with flashes of Malkin.

Not Lindros though. Not even Joe Thornton or Getzlaf in terms of style for a big #1 centermen. I think I gave the right ones above.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
In the same vein as Kopitar/E. Stall, with flashes of Malkin.

Not Lindros though. Not even Joe Thornton or Getzlaf in terms of style for big #1 centermen. I think I gave the right ones above.
show me where you mentioned who he plays like/comparables here

Coming from a Byfield fanboy, I can say that he plays nothing at all like Lindros. Unfortunately.

People dont realize that even for his size, Lindros was freakishly strong. He was a generational athlete for his sport in that he was just a cut above everyone else in terms of size and power, like Shaq was for the NBA. And above all else, Lindros was a mean SOB. He was a one man wrecking crew, it was filthy to watch.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah.

First of all, Stützle's smaller and weaker, I doubt that's in question. But what I see as "puck control" is stick skills and hands, which to me aren't even close and clearly in favor of Stützle. Byfield looks clumsy with the puck if anything.

Then this habit you mentioned. Slowing the play down and maintaining possession in that manner can be a good and high hockey IQ move, it depends on all the individual situations and the system. Actually, it often signifies a more mature way of processing the game at least in my opinion.

To me Stützle processes the game extremely fast and makes lightning quick, smart decisions that aren't immediately obvious. Haven't seen this with Byfield at all, actually.

I agree with you on slickness of hands goes to Stutzle hand down (pun). I feel Byfield's puck control is better though because he protects the puck so well and he's less likely to have it slip off his stick under pressure. Seems more of a definition difference between that one eh?

For offensive IQ, Stutzle seems to need the game slowed down to make things work imo, when he leaves the zone with the puck on his stick on the already larger international ice... thats concerning to me. Seems a fair assessment difference between us though for sure.

We disagree but you have good points for sure

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
I´m not saying I would go with Byfield down the line but this could be interesting yet...

Byfield is another example with such tall players like him you just have to be patient and he´s still far from a finished product. He has already shown that he can be an impactful player even in the playoffs, he scored 20 goals, 55 points and was +19. And he will only get better - in contrast with Stutzle who had a down year and scored 21 goals less than year before.

2022/23: Stutzle 39 goals / Byfield 3 goals
2023/24: Stutzle 18 goals / Byfield 20 goals

Yes, it´s probably still Stutzle but the gap is definitely shrinking.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I´m not saying I would go with Byfield down the line but this could be interesting yet...

Byfield is another example with such tall players like him you just have to be patient and he´s still far from a finished product. He has already shown that he can be an impactful player even in the playoffs, he scored 20 goals, 55 points and was +19. And he will only get better - in contrast with Stutzle who had a down year and scored 21 goals less than year before.

Stutzle’s bad wrist all year significantly affected his ability to shoot.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Sure, but Stutzle career high is still 19G higher, and the gap gets much larger when you add in assists.

Byfield still have a long way to go to catch Stutzle

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Voting Stutzle just based on what’s been demonstrated so far but it’s really a toss up going forward IMO. Looking forward to seeing Byfield kick it into another gear, could be a pretty unique player.

Reactions: Martinez89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad