Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Had all the momentum and were flying out there. Moral of the story for the series-their goalie was leaps and bounds better than ours. If we go into next season with Skinner as our starter, Drai will leave, followed by McDavid the next year. They aren’t stupid, they know. And I can’t blame them one bit.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Worst starter on any playoff team and it’s not even close. Absolute garbage. People criticize the D and blame Skinner’s sub .900 on that but I’m gonna go the other way and say the D would get the credit they deserve if they could get a save. This generation’s Dan Cloutier. Pathetic

Last edited:

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
The Oilers scoring don't affect his save percentage...

We're talking about 18 games and he still hasn't broken .900. Very few goalies who have won Stanley Cups since the 80s have numbers that bad. Actually...do any?

Don't think so.... Closest modern one is Darcy Kuemper at .902 with the Avs.
The only other bad goalie that won off the top of my head is Niemi with Chicago, but he was still at .910.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Don't think so.... Closest modern one is Darcy Kuemper at .902 with the Avs.
The only other bad goalie that won off the top of my head is Niemi with Chicago, but he was still at .910.
Skinner has the worst career playoff save percentage of any goalie with 20+ games since the lockout and second worst since 1990. The reason he’s second is because Dan Cloutier is #1.

It blows my mind that people are defending him. Unbelievable. He’s terrible! He has one average game and gets a win and delusional fans are declaring him the second coming of Patrick Roy. I’ve never seen a player so bad get so much support

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Skinner has the worst career playoff save percentage of any goalie with 20+ games since the lockout and second worst since 1990. The reason he’s second is because Dan Cloutier is #1.

It blows my mind that people are defending him. Unbelievable. He’s terrible! He has one average game and gets a win and delusional fans are declaring him the second coming of Patrick Roy. I’ve never seen a player so bad get so much support

hahaha, good old Cloutier...
Ironically after Cloutier, Vancouver may not be a great team over the years, but their ability to pump out Vezina caliber goalies era after era is the only thing they were good at.

Watching Skinner play... he's not even close... Oilers really need a better goalie, or maybe even a better goalie coach if that's the root cause.

mkatcherin00

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

He's a nice guy. Shit playoff goalie though

Reactions: Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just as I thought. This is as far as the Oilers can go with Skinner. With a different goalie, it'd be a different series. With that said, McDrai, RNH, Hyman needs to show up. Also Kane hasn't been healthy. Pairing Nurse with Ceci is a comedy at this point. We couldn't go Nurse-Kulak and Broberg and Ceci like the Dallas series?

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I mean we know what Skinner is as a goalie. He's performing ok by his standards.

We need Mcdavid and Drai to go super human and they didn't.

Unpopular opinion: Play Mcdrai together. Hope they carry the team. Been saying it for far too long.

Reactions: Skate2Stick

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
hahaha, good old Cloutier...
Ironically after Cloutier, Vancouver may not be a great team over the years, but their ability to pump out Vezina caliber goalies era after era is the only thing they were good at.

Watching Skinner play... he's not even close... Oilers really need a better goalie, or maybe even a better goalie coach if that's the root cause.
Literally could not care less about the Cucks in here, bud. Keep that shit on your board.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
2 cups now that not my fault Skinner has costed the Oilers
2 cups??? I'm not a fan of his but he hasn't cost them 2 cups. It would be nice if the big 5 had some goals this series or even a goal last night would have been nice. And last year it was the coach, who couldn't pull him or game plan.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I mean we know what Skinner is as a goalie. He's performing ok by his standards.

We need Mcdavid and Drai to go super human and they didn't.

Unpopular opinion: Play Mcdrai together.
something needs changing.

Shelter Nurse by putting him on Right wing ? Have McJesus play D ? Try to win 1-0 ?

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
The skill difference between the teams goalies is large. It takes the wind out of our sails, and leads to dishartended moral and play. Then we give up a bit. We saw this a few times this year with our team.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country

Seeing all the Skinner apologists is starting to make me despise many Oiler fans more than fans of the Leafs, Flames, or Cansuckers.

They clearly don’t care if we win a cup, they just don’t want to hurt Skinner’s feelings.

We have had two generational talents in McDavid and Draisaitl for 9 seasons now with nothing to
Show for it, and finally there’s a real chance to win it…and these imbeciles will shit on the efforts of the entire team before they can admit one iota of the sheer historic ineptitude of our goalie. I hope they’re trolling. I don’t want to believe that many people can be so oblivious, especially Oiler fans.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Seeing all the Skinner apologists is starting to make me despise many Oiler fans more than fans of the Leafs, Flames, or Cansuckers.

They clearly don’t care if we win a cup, they just don’t want to hurt Skinner’s feelings.

We have had two generational talents in McDavid and Draisaitl for 9 seasons now with nothing to
Show for it, and finally there’s a real chance to win it…and these imbeciles will shit on the efforts of the entire team before they can admit one iota of the sheer historic ineptitude of our goalie. I hope they’re trolling. I don’t want to believe that many people can be so oblivious, especially Oiler fans.

We got further then I ever thought we would with Skinner in net, but I don't see a need to shit on him

He's the 2nd lowest paid starter in the playoffs after Talbot, he's inconsistent but generally is out performing his contract

We're comparing a 2.5m goalie to a 10m goalie in this series

If we want to be mad about it our ire should be directed at Holland and the Campbell contract moreso than Stu imo

We invest a ton of money in forwards and Nurse, they're MIA - when you're making the big bucks you deserve to get heat versus the guy getting paid peanuts

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
We got further then I ever thought we would with Skinner in net, but I don't see a need to shit on him

He's the 2nd lowest paid starter in the playoffs after Talbot, he's inconsistent but generally is out performing his contract

We're comparing a 2.5m goalie to a 10m goalie in this series

If we want to be mad about it our ire should be directed at Holland and the Campbell contract moreso than Stu imo

We invest a ton of money in forwards and Nurse, they're MIA - when you're making the big bucks you deserve to get heat versus the guy getting paid peanuts
that's a great point. Skinner is basically a 2nd year goalie who makes 2.5 a year. To expect him to be even close to Bob is unrealistic. That being said, even average goaltending (.910-ish) would of gave the Oil a shot. Skinner didn't need to be Bob, but he did need to be better, and he wasn't.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Literally could not care less about the Cucks in here, bud. Keep that shit on your board.

Sorry, didn't mean to be offensive. Just being truthful from different perspective from someone that has seen what real good goaltending is, It's nothing like Skinner and only people that would even believe in him hasn't seen good goaltending. If Silovs was in net for you guys, you would have a better chance. It's probably the goalie coach who's turning Vancouver randoms into diamonds.

So I think Edmonton needs to find a different goalie coach.

I know how it feels. I had a whole month to be sad, you guys won fair and square. Good luck on your series!

Reactions: TB12 and Lannes

Lannes

May 5, 2024
The only goalies with worst save percentages in the playoffs are Talbot, Lindgren and Helleybuck. All three played against high octane offenses and were out in the first round. Lindgren's team really had no business in the playoffs at all, and the team in front Helly played liked they didn't want to be there either.

Lannes

May 5, 2024

vs

We never had a chance in this series with these respective goalies in net.

Very on brand for Skinner to be below 900 every game but to save his absolute worst for the most important one.

Yup, like that guy above you. I just had to to stop engaging with him.
It's such a lazy position to take that I find it a bit remarkable anyone can summon the energy to type it out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The only goalies with worst save percentages in the playoffs are Talbot, Lindgren and Helleybuck. All three played against high octane offenses and were out in the first round. Lindgren's team really had no business in the playoffs at all, and the team in front Helly played liked they didn't want to be there either.
Hellybucyk was absolute trash in my viewings of him. He's supposed to be one of the best 3 -4 goalies in the league, good enough to steal some games in the playoffs. Instead, he was a big contributor to the losses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad