Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

Jan 13, 2023
You wish he could have had that first one since it was the first shot, but that's a cross-ice play executed by the top line of the best team in the Eastern Conference. Not that it would have mattered anyway.

Regardless, Skinner's come a long way since the Vancouver series, and proved a lot of doubters wrong (myself included).

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
I don't get the Skinner hate. Based on his contract and based on who he is he played a pretty good game. B + performance

Skinner is not Bobrovsky. If you want or think the team needs an elite goalie that's on management, not Skinner.
The diffrence between Bob and Skins is about 7,5 million in cap hit per year....Just sayin'....

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
You wish he could have had that first one since it was the first shot, but that's a cross-ice play executed by the top line of the best team in the Eastern Conference. Not that it would have mattered anyway.

Regardless, Skinner's come a long way since the Vancouver series, and proved a lot of doubters wrong (myself included).
True, my only problem with it is it was more or less a guaranteed pass and Skinner was late to read the play and move laterally which is a knock on his game in general.

Reactions: Lannes

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I have been really tough on Skinner in these playoffs but I couldn't fault him for either goal in game 1. I mean it would be nice if he could bail out the Oilers a little more often like the goalies on the other teams have been but it's tough to win if you don't score any goals.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Neither goal was on Skinner but when Bob is making 18 high danger saves in a game you have to be perfect as a team.
Team played well enough considering they're getting used to Florida's play style, and agreed that Skinner actually had a solid game overall. Yeah, needs to make a big save, but overall they just capitalized on their chances.

We need to figure out Bob in a massive way tonight.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
To be completely honest: .896 after 18 games is terrible. That's a big enough sample size to conclude that Stuart Skinner is not a starting goaltender. Period. He was great in the Dallas series, but you have to be consistently good, and his average after 18 games shows that he is, more often than not, not good. He faced far fewer high danger chances than Bob in those two games and has been vastly outplayed.

As for the Skinner stans bragging about his great play in the Dallas series and saying that they were always right about him being great, well, you aren't very wise and I honestly hate to say I told you so. I really, really wanted to be wrong about Skinner. I am more disappointed in myself for having so much faith in him after the Dallas series, because he's more than proven throughout the playoffs that he's not reliable and can't play well for more than two consecutive games.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To be completely honest: .896 after 18 games is terrible. That's a big enough sample size to conclude that Stuart Skinner is not a starting goaltender. Period. He was great in the Dallas series, but you have to be consistently good, and his average after 18 games shows that he is, more often than not, not good. He faced far fewer high danger chances than Bob in those two games and has been vastly outplayed.

As for the Skinner stans bragging about his great play in the Dallas series and saying that they were always right about him being great, well, you aren't very wise and I honestly hate to say I told you so. I really, really wanted to be wrong about Skinner. I am more disappointed in myself for having so much faith in him after the Dallas series, because he's more than proven throughout the playoffs that he's not reliable and can't play well for more than two consecutive games.
Whatever. I want him to play incredibly well tonight and going forward. We need him to somehow make a few incredible saves that are not expected as well as all the ordinary ones. As well as our forwards starting to honk on Bobo and giving him a rough ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Whatever. I want him to play incredibly well tonight and going forward. We need him to somehow make a few incredible saves that are not expected as well as all the ordinary ones. As well as starting to honk on Bobo and giving him a rough ride.

Everyone wants that. And I would rather he play incredibly well tomorrow night ;)

Reactions: Macheteops

mkatcherin00

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

I want an upgrade over him

You need a guy who can steal you even a few games over a year.

Whatever. I want him to play incredibly well tonight and going forward. We need him to somehow make a few incredible saves that are not expected as well as all the ordinary ones. As well as starting to honk on Bobo and giving him a rough ride.
Skinner doesn't do this though. Even by luck. He doesnt make those big saves he shouldn't.

Even after we took lead last game Florida almost Ties it up quickly and Skinner is like 4 feet way out of position. Guy just misses the open net.

I swear he doesn't even get lucky. Game 2 Dallas gwg off oiler

Last game gwg off of chsrmin mcloed.

These goals all just go in

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I want an upgrade over him

You need a guy who can steal you even a few games over a year.

Skinner doesn't do this though. Even by luck. He doesnt make those big saves he shouldn't.

Even after we took lead last game Florida almost Ties it up quickly and Skinner is like 4 feet way out of position. Guy just misses the open net.

I swear he doesn't even get lucky. Game 2 Dallas gwg off oiler

Last game gwg off of chsrmin mcloed.

These goals all just go in
You're not getting an upgrade this week, or next week so get over it. He's who we have, right now.

mkatcherin00

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
You're not getting an upgrade this week, or next week so get over it. He's who we have, right now.
Dude, I am talking about next year. We are not serious if he continues to be our starter next year.

OR

Go make your dcore better somehow. One or the other.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers scoring don't affect his save percentage...

We're talking about 18 games and he still hasn't broken .900. Very few goalies who have won Stanley Cups since the 80s have numbers that bad. Actually...do any?
If he had a 900 sv% right now we'd still be down 2-0 in the series.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Or we go into overtime 0-0 and an Oiler scores.
They had 60 minutes to produce a goal, and in 120 minutes the Oilers have produced one measly goal. The Oilers forwards should not have the same goal total as their goalie after two games.

Besides, even taking your fictional scenario into account if the Panthers still scored in OT the result is the same. The only difference is Skinner has a slightly better sv% with the same number of wins in the series: Zero. One goal in two games isn't going to win you anything no matter who your goalie is.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
They had 60 minutes to produce a goal, and in 120 minutes the Oilers have produced one measly goal. The Oilers forwards should not have the same goal total as their goalie after two games.

Besides, even taking your fictional scenario into account if the Panthers still scored in OT the result is the same. The only difference is Skinner has a slightly better sv% with the same number of wins in the series: Zero. One goal in two games isn't going to win you anything no matter who your goalie is.

Why not just give up then and put any idiot in net. Clearly it doesn't matter... Why are you guys so eager to throw the entire team under the bus before you put at least some blame on the guy we have in goal with historically poor numbers?

You don't know what would happen to the momentum of the team if they made it into overtime. We do know, however, that with one of the lowest save percentages of any goalie in the last 30 years to get this far, Skinner gives us a much lower chance of actually winning.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why not just give up then and put any idiot in net. Clearly it doesn't matter... Why are you guys so eager to throw the entire team under the bus before you put at least some blame on the guy we have in goal with historically poor numbers?

You don't know what would happen to the momentum of the team if they made it into overtime. We do know, however, that with one of the lowest save percentages of any goalie in the last 30 years to get this far, Skinner gives us a much lower chance of actually winning.
You can't win games where you don't score goals. There isn't a team in history that's won a single game where they got shutout. Hypothetical scenarios are meaningless, but if you want to go into that there's a discussion to be had about the guy they signed to be the starter. They didn't get to overtime because they failed to score. That's the reality of the situation. Their 5 on 5 offense is non-existent, their power play has dried up and they're simply not generating anything. Hell they were lucky to win game 6 against Dallas considering how they've been completely ineffective at 5 on 5 for 4 straight games now.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Guys will jump through so many hoops and do so much mental gymnastics to defend a guy with a sub-.900 career (and this playoff) save percentage. Unreal. Skinner is garbage. This team is obviously great to be able to drag him to a final but the party stops here.

Campbell and Pickard should be dressed for game 4.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad