Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Rodrigue has been putting better numbers than Silovs in the AHL and they're the same age(7 months apart)

I think Rodrigue has a good chance of being the best goalie the Oilers have drafted in a very long time. Not a high bar to clear, but still

Reactions: Canovin

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Rodrigue has a good chance of being the best goalie the Oilers have drafted in a very long time. Not a high bar to clear, but still
Rodrigue is close to 9 months older than Silovs.
Considering that he is an RFA in 2025/26 you have to think that his time to be on an NHL roster is likely next season. They need to know what they have before he becomes an RFA.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Rodrigue is close to 9 months older than Silovs.
Considering that he is an RFA in 2025/26 you have to think that his time to be on an NHL roster is likely next season. They need to know what they have before he becomes an RFA.

Canucks only played Silovs because they had to (at least initially). Rodrigue should have got some game time this season but they were chasing results until the end so that made it impossible. Need to give him a shot next season no matter what

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
There's no narrative. Skinner is just not very good. Pickard has been better than him. Everything that some of us including myself was saying in the beginning of the season was true and now more people are starting to see it. He should be bailing the team out most nights, not the other way around. The Oilers have to put on a clinic in order for him to face less shots.
Oh I agree that he's not great.

I just think he's better than Pickard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Canucks only played Silovs because they had to (at least initially). Rodrigue should have got some game time this season but they were chasing results until the end so that made it impossible. Need to give him a shot next season no matter what
Pickard is a UFA next season...he is nice insurance though so I expect the team to sign him on a 2 way deal for cheap. Rodrigue could be the backup.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Because you lack any credibility here.

You've shown your hand.
Bro i've literally come on here and called things ahead of time. Henrique, Skinner starting, Mcdavid, the fact they were done at the deadline.

I've done the exact same thing on the Tampa board. I have sources.

You guys literally can't handle the fact I don't think Bouchard is "Elite" (it's not even unreasonable)

You don't have to be immature and come after me on different threads.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Big Skinner fan. Still called for him to be pulled versus Van. Was impressed Knob did it. Came back played good in that series. Good enough to win 2 huge games and get the team to round 3.

Ottinger is in another class than Skinner to date, but Ottinger has been mortal appearing this year. Regular and post season. He played very well in game one...

... and got completely outplayed by Skinner. Major props. Stole this game imo. So many storylines PK, McDavid Draisaitl Bouchard Hyman, the list goes on but it was Skinner being the biggest factor IMO. That's 2 games, one in LA series, and now this one he stole wins for. Hope he can keep it up.

It's great to see such growth. Such a young goalie. It will be very interesting to see how good he can get. Great bounce back since being pulled.

A very interesting stat was mentioned by Gazdig during the intermission. He get substantially better the more shots he faces... I found that very interesting and also really explains his struggles against Vancouver.

Reactions: RattsSSV

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Massive difference for Skinner was that he didn't fall into holding himself within his positional box. He's done it time and time again, where he'll play the position and almost give up on anything that falls outside of it.

Tonight, he was open limbs, ready to explode and react. He was exactly what we needed.

Also, Nurse just needs to jump at every shot coming out way these days. Every deflection he makes in front of our own net ends up horribly.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
This is a bit misleading. He didn't hire a goalie coach. He hired a Certified High-Performance Exercise Kinesiologist. Adam Francilia works with lots of NHL goalies.
It still points to the question of why he needed to hire him?

Seems like everyone that Schwartz touches needs a little extra help.

He's been in the org for 10 years and justifiably everyone wonders why he's survived multiple gm and head coach changes.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Bro i've literally come on here and called things ahead of time. Henrique, Skinner starting, Mcdavid, the fact they were done at the deadline.

I've done the exact same thing on the Tampa board. I have sources.

You guys literally can't handle the fact I don't think Bouchard is "Elite" (it's not even unreasonable)

You don't have to be immature and come after me on different threads.

As for Skinner, if he plays NHL average, the Oilers and in excellent shape.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
It still points to the question of why he needed to hire him?

Seems like everyone that Schwartz touches needs a little extra help.

He's been in the org for 10 years and justifiably everyone wonders why he's survived multiple gm and head coach changes.

Because Schwartz isn't a Kinesiologist. Because Adam Francilia understands how the body moves and how to retrain it to move more efficiently for a goaltender. Adam has trained a handful of goalies that have been part of the oilers system. I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz suggested that he hire Francilia.

Lots of top goaltenders go to him for supplemental training, that doesn't make their goalie coaches bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad