Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Outsider, but hard on the bandwagon opinion... I have tried to support Skinner, because he really is a battler and seems like he has the mentality for it in interviews, but I think there's no denying it's a bit of a leaky ship for him in the playoffs and he doesn't rival the other 3 guys left. Most teams don't have better, but unfortunately, at this stage those teams have been weeded out, likely in part because they weren't able to overcome it as well as the Oilers have. It seems hard to deny that this is a legitimate handicap for the Oilers, but he can minimize it by just playing to the ability he does have and stop playing below it in the playoffs. He can give .905 and be more consistent. I don't expect more at this point, but if he can give that, I think it's enough.

As a Senators fan, he's still put up better numbers than anyone we've had in about a decade, other than maybe a short spurt or 2, and there's really only 5-10 really good ones in the league, so its not an easy upgrade to find, and not everyone has a Vezina caliber Silovs waiting in the wings. Seems like some teams are drowning in goalie talent while some struggle year after year.
Rodrigue has been putting better numbers than Silovs in the AHL and they're the same age(7 months apart)

Reactions: Oilhawks

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Rodrigue has been putting better numbers than Silovs in the AHL and they're the same age(7 months apart)
Interesting. Even better from the looks of it. I know nothing about him. Surely, HockeyDB must be wrong and he's not really 158lbs?

I'd consider it if Skinner falters. I really liked that aggressive move by Tocchet. They knew DeSmith had a low ceiling they couldn't win a series with, so why not try out the young guy.

That said, I think Silovs was putting on a bit of an Andrew Hammond show. We'll see if that's who he is long term, but he played amazing imo. Games 1 and 6 obviously hurt his save percentage, but hard to fault him for game 6.

Reactions: Canovin

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
No, people hate on this board because dating back to last playoffs his save percentage has been dreadful. Pulled 3 times against Vegas last year and pulled once in this series and blew 2 other games, almost blowing game 7 as well. And it's not like he has had to stand on his head. He's been very sheltered. He is the reason the last series went 7 games. It should have realistically been a sweep. Of the 4 remaining goalies he's by far the worst. If this dude gets lit up like a Christmas tree against Dallas maybe you will finally realize just how bad he is.
No there is definitely a negative narrative around Skinner. Most of you were so sure he wouldn't see the net again, people couldn't believe that Skinner was really starting game 6 and were calling out everyone who thought so.

Skinner is not very good. He is obviously the worst goalie left in the final 4, but he's better than Pickard.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Any chance Campbell would ever get thrown in or has that ship officially sailed?

Not that I'd have optimism about it, but interesting to see he's brought his save % up so much this yera.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No there is definitely a negative narrative around Skinner. Most of you were so sure he wouldn't see the net again, people couldn't believe that Skinner was really starting game 6 and were calling out everyone who thought so.

Skinner is bot very good. He is obviously the worst goalie left in the final 4, but he's better than Pickard.
It’s funny seeing the guy who downplays an elite player every chance he gets is in here propping up skinner.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No, people hate on this board because dating back to last playoffs his save percentage has been dreadful. Pulled 3 times against Vegas last year and pulled once in this series and blew 2 other games, almost blowing game 7 as well. And it's not like he has had to stand on his head. He's been very sheltered. He is the reason the last series went 7 games. It should have realistically been a sweep. Of the 4 remaining goalies he's by far the worst. If this dude gets lit up like a Christmas tree against Dallas maybe you will finally realize just how bad he is.
Damn, almost as if he was supposed to be being eased into the lineup at this juncture of his career but management hitched their wagon to Campbell instead.

The problem is that somehow, some way, every single goal against is Skinner's fault. And yeah, he is the worst goalie remaining in the playoffs. By a substantial margin. 2 of the remaining teams drafted and developed their goalies while the other paid a kings ransom and finally got their money's worth a year ago.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Any chance Campbell would ever get thrown in or has that ship officially sailed?

Not that I'd have optimism about it, but interesting to see he's brought his save % up so much this yera.

Campbell isn't going to play barring injury. People here will bring up his playoff game against LA last season forever but outside of that he has been a disaster for his entire Oilers tenure. Skinner and Pickard are the guys.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Campbell has sufficiently earned his buyout and he can go vacation in Cancun with whatever genius scouted him.
Lol, fair enough. Hopefully Korpisalo gets a ticket there this summer too. At least Campbell had a reasonable resume to get him that deal I guess, but ya that was a real tough one to take on during contending years.
Campbell isn't going to play barring injury. People here will bring up his playoff game against LA last season forever but outside of that he has been a disaster for his entire Oilers tenure. Skinner and Pickard are the guys.
Ya I remember the game you're referring to. Seems like he's not the solution either way and there's not a lot of rope left anyways.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Maybe if he would have gotten a game at the end of the year, but you just can’t afford to make that gamble when his last game was November 4th

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Damn, almost as if he was supposed to be being eased into the lineup at this juncture of his career but management hitched their wagon to Campbell instead.

The problem is that somehow, some way, every single goal against is Skinner's fault. And yeah, he is the worst goalie remaining in the playoffs. By a substantial margin. 2 of the remaining teams drafted and developed their goalies while the other paid a kings ransom and finally got their money's worth a year ago.
That other team, Florida paid a heavy price under its past management. Bob has been very good last couple of playoffs. But they have also established their Goaltender Excellence Department within an organization that's helped either draft or develop goalies for other teams like Montembeault; Lyons; Levi; and currently repurposing Stolarz. And resetting a pedigree first round Knight in their system.

Skinner beat the odds and over performed expectations within an organization that has not prioritized the goaltending position. But he's now a vulnerability on a team that's played itself into Final Four with well-below sub-par goaltending. He's a critical key for this series as this organization's biggest blunder watches on from the cheap seats.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Skinner is not very good. He is obviously the worst goalie left in the final 4, but he's better than Pickard.
There's no narrative. Skinner is just not very good. Pickard has been better than him. Everything that some of us including myself was saying in the beginning of the season was true and now more people are starting to see it. He should be bailing the team out most nights, not the other way around. The Oilers have to put on a clinic in order for him to face less shots.

Reactions: brentashton

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There's no narrative. Skinner is just not very good. Pickard has been better than him. Everything that some of us including myself was saying in the beginning of the season was true and now more people are starting to see it. He should be bailing the team out most nights, not the other way around. The Oilers have to put on a clinic in order for him to face less shots.
Pickard himself blew a few very winnable games down the stretch. Minnesota and especially Ottawa come to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad