Proposal: Stoner (maybe small retention) 3rd round (maybe 2nd) for 7th or future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Based on what you said

You'd give up Stoner a 2nd and another pick like a 4th or 5th for a 7th?

Would you do Hunwick and a 6th

For Stoner a 2nd and a 4th?

If Hunwick was involved I wouldn't give up the 4th also, I would probably do the original deal you proposed though.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As a Ducks fan, I'd do this. Leafs get the 2nd rounder back from the Andersen deal, Ducks get to unload Stoner's contract. The Ducks-Leafs trades put together would look like this:

Andersen
Stoner
Conditional 2017 pick

for

2016 1st (Sam Steel)
Bernier (no cap retention)
Hunwick

I'd do it.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Which is what should've been done right away. Still time to set it right though.

It may not have been an option at the time. Toronto has Horton and Robidas in the roster, which currently puts them about $700k OVER the cap ceiling, even though we helped them out by taking Bernier's $4.15 million cap hit.

When Horton and Robidas go back to LTIR, Leafs get the cap space needed to make a hypothetical Stoner + 2nd for Hunwick swap happen. I don't recall what the exact date is, but I'd say it's during the pre-season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It may not have been an option at the time. Toronto has Horton and Robidas in the roster, which currently puts them about $700k OVER the cap ceiling, even though we helped them out by taking Bernier's $4.15 million cap hit.

When Horton and Robidas go back to LTIR, Leafs get the cap space needed to make a hypothetical Stoner + 2nd for Hunwick swap happen. I don't recall what the exact date is, but I'd say it's during the pre-season.

Thats not how LTIR works. Best to get as close to Horton+Robidas' salary above the cap now. https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Would the Ducks entertain a deal something like

Stoner (no retention) + Montour for Edm 3rd + a W prospect like Slepshyev, Moroz, Platzer, McPhee

Ducks seem to have a log jam of young defenseman, would Murray rather deal one of them instead of a 2nd?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Stoner (no retention) + Montour for Edm 3rd + a W prospect like Slepshyev, Moroz, Platzer, McPhee

Ducks seem to have a log jam of young defenseman, would Murray rather deal one of them instead of a 2nd?

We are not making a deal to give Oilers a defenseman like Montour. Montour > 2nd round pick no way would we trade Montour over a 2nd rounder.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
We are not making a deal to give Oilers a defenseman like Montour. Montour > 2nd round pick no way would we trade Montour over a 2nd rounder.

Cogliano Getzlaf Perry
3-8.25-8.625
Ritchie Kesler Silfverberg
1.627-6.875-3.75
Raymond Rakell Garbutt
0.675-?-0.9
Thompson Vermette Boll
1.6-1.75-0.9
Wagner

Lindholm Vatanen
?-4.875
Fowler Bieksa
4-4
Despres Manson
3.7-0.825
Stoner Holzer
3.25-0.7

Gibson Bernier
2.3-4.15

Total

If Lindholm is a 7 mil per player, Ducks cannot afford to sign Rakell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pitlick, Osterle, Laleggia, 2016 3rd, 2017 2nd
FOR
Stoner, Rackell, Montour

Cogliano Getzlaf Perry
3-8.25-8.625
1.627-6.875-3.75
? Vermette Garbutt
1-1.75-0.9
Boll Thompson Pitlick
0.9-1.6-0.725
Raymond Wagner
0.675-0.637

Lindholm Vatanen
7-4.875
Fowler Bieksa
4-4
Despres Manson
3.7-0.825
Holzer

Gibson Bernier
2.3-4.15

Total

Ducks fans will no doubt hate this trade but I don't see them being able to keep everyone and stay under the cap. They can't afford to even take on cheaper players unless Lindholm signs a massive discount or a cheap bridge.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Cogliano Getzlaf Perry
3-8.25-8.625
1.627-6.875-3.75
Raymond Rakell Garbutt
0.675-?-0.9
Thompson Vermette Boll
1.6-1.75-0.9
Wagner

Lindholm Vatanen
?-4.875
Fowler Bieksa
4-4
Despres Manson
3.7-0.825
Stoner Holzer
3.25-0.7

Gibson Bernier
2.3-4.15

Total

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That doesn't mean that paying to get rid of Stoner is the only option.

BM won't part with his young NHL ready talent for short term gain, he's stated it publicly multiple times. I don't see why that shouldn't apply to cap dumps any less than it does to trade rentals. If the price needed to move Stoner exceeds a B level piece like Ottawa's 2nd or Marcus Pettersson, I really don't see BM going down that road.

Move a guy like Despres for next to nothing if you have to, trade Fowler for a young forward...there are certainly ways to save money without handing a blue chip RHD to a divisional team. I wouldn't hold your breath.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Cogliano Getzlaf Perry
3-8.25-8.625
1.627-6.875-3.75
Raymond Rakell Garbutt
0.675-?-0.9
Thompson Vermette Boll
1.6-1.75-0.9
Wagner

Lindholm Vatanen
?-4.875
Fowler Bieksa
4-4
Despres Manson
3.7-0.825
Stoner Holzer
3.25-0.7

Gibson Bernier
2.3-4.15

Total

FOR
Stoner, Rackell, Montour

Cogliano Getzlaf Perry
3-8.25-8.625
1.627-6.875-3.75
? Vermette Garbutt
1-1.75-0.9
Boll Thompson Pitlick
0.9-1.6-0.725
Raymond Wagner
0.675-0.637

Lindholm Vatanen
7-4.875
Fowler Bieksa
4-4
Despres Manson
3.7-0.825
Holzer

Gibson Bernier
2.3-4.15

Total

Ducks fans will no doubt hate this trade but I don't see them being able to keep everyone and stay under the cap. They can't afford to even take on cheaper players unless Lindholm signs a massive discount or a cheap bridge.
You're still in here with this **** lmao

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
That doesn't mean that paying to get rid of Stoner is the only option.

BM won't part with his young NHL ready talent for short term gain, he's stated it publicly multiple times. I don't see why that shouldn't apply to cap dumps any less than it does to trade rentals. If the price needed to move Stoner exceeds a B level piece like Ottawa's 2nd or Marcus Pettersson, I really don't see BM going down that road.

Move a guy like Despres for next to nothing if you have to, trade Fowler for a young forward...there are certainly ways to save money without handing a blue chip RHD to a divisional team. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Either way, Ducks are getting worse.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Ducks are going to have to sacrifice somewhere. The Ducks will be worse on paper next season.

Ok but no one is giving up a defensemen who put up almost a PPG in his rookie AHL season and a young 2c just to dump a contract. Ducks get back a bunch of **** in return lmao so bad

mytduxfan*

Ducks are going to have to sacrifice somewhere. The Ducks will be worse on paper next season.

Only if we believe your assumption that Lindholm will get 7M. He could quite as easily sign a bridge deal. BM may also have a lot more cap to work with this year. You just don't know, do you?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If it makes you feel better go right ahead and think that. Wasn't the point of your argument to try and justify that awful trade offer though? So that's your final point, we should trade a young blue chip RHD to a divisional opponent, because we are going to get worse no matter what.... Still doesn't really make much sense, does it?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
JVR@50%+ Hunwick for Fowler, Stoner, 1st rd pick

Fowler and JVR are pretty close in value. the 50% retention bumps the stoner dump from a 2nd to a 1st, and anaheim gets a cheap vet dman as well. ducks save nearly 4 mil in cap, and 3.55 mil in real $. leafs use their financial might to grab another decent pick

mytduxfan*

Fowler and JVR are pretty close in value. the 50% retention bumps the stoner dump from a 2nd to a 1st, and anaheim gets a cheap vet dman as well. ducks save nearly 4 mil in cap, and 3.55 mil in real $. leafs use their financial might to grab another decent pick

Don't hate, but I'm against moving our 1st unless it's absolutely necessary. In dumping Stoner, we have no need for the 50% retention on JVR.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Ok but no one is giving up a defensemen who put up almost a PPG in his rookie AHL season and a young 2c just to dump a contract. Ducks get back a bunch of **** in return lmao so bad

The way I saw the value, taking on Stoner gives Montour. Montour had a good offensive season but that is far from guaranteeing him success in the NHL; Schultz was on pace to set offensive records in the AHL but has not come close to that in the NHL.

Only if we believe your assumption that Lindholm will get 7M. He could quite as easily sign a bridge deal. BM may also have a lot more cap to work with this year. You just don't know, do you?

I said in another post unless Lindholm signs at a massive discount or bridge.

If it makes you feel better go right ahead and think that. Wasn't the point of your argument to try and justify that awful trade offer though? So that's your final point, we should trade a young blue chip RHD to a divisional opponent, because we are going to get worse no matter what.... Still doesn't really make much sense, does it?

I wouldn't say Montour is an elite/blue chip prospect. He's a good one but his offence comes at the expense of his defence according to THN.

Is Anaheim still a budget team? Even if Lindholm signs for 4 million and Rakell 2 the Ducks are STILL over the cap, not even mentioning the budget.

The Ducks should just trade Lindholm since they cannot afford him. :)

mytduxfan*

The way I saw the value, taking on Stoner gives Montour. Montour had a good offensive season but that is far from guaranteeing him success in the NHL; Schultz was on pace to set offensive records in the AHL but has not come close to that in the NHL.

I wouldn't say Montour is an elite/blue chip prospect. He's a good one but his offence comes at the expense of his defence according to THN.

Is Anaheim still a budget team? Even if Lindholm signs for 4 million and Rakell 2 the Ducks are STILL over the cap, not even mentioning the budget.

Keep dreaming. Montour has the value of a blue chip prospects at this point. He's a quality player, with all the stats on him saying so.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I'd do this.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Not nearly enough for a prospect with the kind of upside Montour has. Even to dump Stoner's salary.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Offensive RHD are premium assets, whether or not you consider him blue chip or not, he has the value of a blue chip prospect.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Or we could not trade our best winger until we know what Marner and Nylander can do

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Not trading a 1st round pick to unload Stoner.

Cogliano Getzlaf Perry
3-8.25-8.625
1.627-6.875-3.75
Raymond Rakell Garbutt
0.675-?-0.9
Thompson Vermette Boll
1.6-1.75-0.9
Wagner

Lindholm Vatanen
?-4.875
Fowler Bieksa
4-4
Despres Manson
3.7-0.825
Stoner Holzer
3.25-0.7

Gibson Bernier
2.3-4.15

Total

FOR
Stoner, Rackell, Montour

Cogliano Getzlaf Perry
3-8.25-8.625
1.627-6.875-3.75
? Vermette Garbutt
1-1.75-0.9
Boll Thompson Pitlick
0.9-1.6-0.725
Raymond Wagner
0.675-0.637

Lindholm Vatanen
7-4.875
Fowler Bieksa
4-4
Despres Manson
3.7-0.825
Holzer

Gibson Bernier
2.3-4.15

Total

Rakell is better then any of those pieces as is Montour we are not trading the two best piecea to unload Stoner 2 year contract and get back 2 defenseman we don't need and want and a 24 year old forward who barley has done anything in the NHL and some picks.

We are not going to trade Montour to our division rival Oilers. We are not going to trade our best young forward. Just terrible terrible terrible totally unrealistic.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

How can we eat that much salary?
We get rid of 3 million and add almost 10 million I don't think Horton on LTIR can cover that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad