Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Hands up if you predicted the pk was gonna be exposed this year.

Not much to say except Tanev and Rielly were disappointing. Nylander and Matthews were disappointing too. The whole damn team was disappointing.

Looks like Berube is playing good cop/bad cop.

Except he's taking on the role of both parts. One game he's yelling at Matthews on the bench. The next he's covering for Matthews after a boneheaded giveaway cost them the game.

I fail to see how that was anyone's fault but the greatest player in Leafs history.

Marc Savard should be fired effective immediately. Whatever it is they're supposed to be doing on the power play clearly isn't working. At this point I think they'd be better off just setting up in the 1-3-1 looking for one timers.

The saddest thing is that penalty kill is probably even worse.
Everytime they focus on Savard he looks lost to me. Quickly working away on the iPad. Dude you don’t need to replay every PP they all have the same mistakes.

Maybe it’s your concussions from the past but October/24 looks the exact as Feb/Mar/ April 24.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Everytime they focus on Savard he looks lost to me. Quickly working away on the iPad. Dude you don’t need to replay every PP they all have the same mistakes.

Maybe it’s your concussions from the past but October/24 looks the exact as Feb/Mar/ April 24.

I'm not even sure what they're trying to accomplish on the special teams anymore.

The penalty kill is a complete write off. It looks like some sort of hybrid between the 1-2-1 Diamond and the Wedge+1. Except the players are too far apart with a tendency to chase the puck carrier.

Then they throw a guy like Matthews out there and it's the perfect storm for a bigger let down than the last time I got naked.

The power play is just more of the same old, same old, with problems on the entry with the drop back pass and seemingly no secondary entry method. Then when in the zone they struggle to get into formation, whatever the hell that's even supposed to look like, and are not taking advantage of the one timer afforded by Matthews shot. I'm not a coach and I'm certainly not an expert, just a fan with a big mouth and access to the internet, but if I can see what some of the problems are why can't Savard?

And if Savard can see what the problems are why isn't he fixing them?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Bad giveaway. Marner poor communication was just as much as fault as well. It’s early still and get over it.
Only an idiot would blame marner for that goal
Jesus I know most of you dislike him but that’s ridiculous
He was by a large margin the best player on the ice in this game
Not only got points but his commitment to defense is the best of any forward on the team
That post is something else

Reactions: ACC1224

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
RDT_20241027_0746486834125866706336101.jpg

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I didn't love the fact that Berube loaded up ice time for Marner and Matthews. 26 and 23 minutes, respectively. Far more than any other forwards. They can't be doing that after only 9 games, or these guys are going to be overworked by the end of the season. Hopefully this was just a one-off.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Mathew’s showing real captain leadership so far this year. Nylander continually reverting to stupid shinny hockey antics on a regular basis does not inspire. On the bright side I thought Myers looked solid in his season debut, that’s another nail in Lilly’s coffin……..

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I'm not even sure what they're trying to accomplish on the special teams anymore.

The penalty kill is a complete write off. It looks like some sort of hybrid between the 1-2-1 Diamond and the Wedge+1. Except the players are too far apart with a tendency to chase the puck carrier.

Then they throw a guy like Matthews out there and it's the perfect storm for a bigger let down than the last time I got naked.

The power play is just more of the same old, same old, with problems on the entry with the drop back pass and seemingly no secondary entry method. Then when in the zone they struggle to get into formation, whatever the hell that's even supposed to look like, and are not taking advantage of the one timer afforded by Matthews shot. I'm not a coach and I'm certainly not an expert, just a fan with a big mouth and access to the internet, but if I can see what some of the problems are why can't Savard?

And if Savard can see what the problems are why isn't he fixing them?
They play a Raptors O when òn the PP. The constant buzzing around at the blueline is so dangerous. I get the flow, but the rewards are few.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Stolarz the brightest light on this team this season so far. Giving the Leafs good goaltending to give them a chance to win on most nights. Knies has looked really good too and I constantly see him battling hard on the ice and chipping in with some offense as well.

Outside of those two, everyone else has been up and down in their play and I still don't understand why their powerplay SUCKS SO MUCH!??!?! How is that even possible with the players we have?? Some of the games we lost should've been wins if they could ever score worth a damn on the PP.

Seriously I think this team needs some major trades to change things up. There's just something not right with the core of this team and as hard as we've tried to make it work the past several years, its just not the right mix of players. Most of them are likable guys, but its time to end this version of the Leafs and ship out a big name player or two and really change things up.
Welcome to 2019

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad