Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Marner might remind everyone of the same. We do this every year people why does everyone have scrambles in the brain.
Because then that must mean the ending will be the same. If the process is the same, the players are the same, the results are the same

Game 7 loss in the first round

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Jeebuzz cripes no way Matthews should wear that, no way, no how, no siree bob, uh-uh not our AM34, innocent as a new born lamb weeing in a stream. There's surely someone else to blame, hmmm let me think?

YEAH, THATS IT. THATS GOTTA BE IT! Mitch Marner that's the guy!
That's going to be the golden rule this year; no matter what, bad things are ALWAYS Marner's fault. /s

Reactions: Craig Button

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But this year the sky really is falling.

It will be hilarious watching Winnipeg fans lose their minds when they lose to the Leafs on Monday. You know the Leafs are winning that game for the pure entertainment value of watching the rest of Canada seethe.

I think our next win is vs the Kraken.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Berube said he’s happy to get the point and they had good looks in OT…..but we hear constantly from his pals in the hockey media that he’s soooo different then Keefe.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
For me our PP is the single biggest issue right now.
We got shutdown last season against the elite teams in our division, then Boston badly shut it down in the playoffs and now this.
It just doesn't make any sense that a PP with one of the greatest goal scorers ever, two 90+ point players in MM/WN and a solid net front guy in Tavares, can get shutdown for any length of time. I posted a stat a few days ago, that in our last 32 playoff games, we're only scoring at a 15% rate which is pathetic.
With the PP it seems like we can't even get set up properly half the time when they so often have difficultly just gaining the zone and getting set up to at least try and score. Also it seems like they're not capable of generating chances that can actually give a goalie a hard time.

Far too often even when they can get the shot on net its usually a relatively easy save for the goalie. They need to be more unpredictable and get the goalie off balance and moving so that they can't be ready to make an easy save. In fact I'd say that's they're problem in general which is why they're having a hard time scoring. The Matthews tying goal is the kind of play we need more of that catches goalies off guard and makes it harder for them to make a save.

Reactions: weems

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
He was getting pressured, and in the moment he decided to make the pass Marner turned. That’s what I saw in the overhead replay, and that’s why I’m posting these thoughts. You welcome to disagree, but im sure the overhead replay they showed on cbc will be available soon.

My response here was to the posters suggesting he just decided to give up the puck like that for no rhyme or reason. Those other two mistakes were much much worse, which is why I single them out. A guy mishandles a puck with time, and the other falls in the ozone. But those will go forgotten because leaf fans will berate their captain for this. If any of our other lines are on we win this in regulation.
Sorry that isn't pressure, it's 3 on 3 in OT he had all kinds of space and time. You don't pass the puck in that situation without knowing where it's going and who it's going to. You look before your pass, they teach you this stuff at the Atom level. You can make all the lame excuses you want, that was a terrible play.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
You realize Matthews was out the end of his shift and the Bruins were fresh and we just got the puck back. He wasn't skating away from anyone and everyone on the ice should be aware of this and support him back there instead of leaving him on his own so they could make the simple short passes until they are in a better position to make the change. It was a dumb pass but there's 3 guys on the ice and they left a tired guy out to dry all by himself while they were thinking offence.
He didn't need to skate away from anyone. Most likely if he goes behind the net, the Bruins player isn't going to chase him and even if he does, Matthews is facing up the ice and he can see where he's passing and can make a long pass to a teammate before getting off the ice himself. Pretty simple.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
With the PP it seems like we can't even get set up properly half the time when they so often have difficultly just gaining the zone and getting set up to at least try and score. Also it seems like they're not capable of generating chances that can actually give a goalie a hard time.

Far too often even when they can get the shot on net its usually a relatively easy save for the goalie. They need to be more unpredictable and get the goalie off balance and moving so that they can't be ready to make an easy save. In fact I'd say that's they're problem in general which is why they're having a hard time scoring. The Matthews tying goal is the kind of play we need more of that catches goalies off guard and makes it harder for them to make a save.
The problem with the PP for quite a while is 1) They have trouble entering the zone and 2) When they manage to enter the zone, the puck inevitably goes to Tavares and the play dies. He's still strong close to the net, but the Leafs keep having him take passes from the others to help set up and he loses the puck 99% of the time.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
MY PP cure. The opposition has three if not four guys right at the blue line expecting the drop pass and our guys are met immediately at the blue line, tight quarters. There's all that empty space behind the defenders. For the next little while. JT out. Knies in. Dump the puck and tell Knies to retrieve the puck and get in front of the net. Game on.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Its everyone else fault, not Matthews with the no look pass. Yet another all talk no action coach.
That’s what you got from ‘everyone’s mistake’? He’s not going to grill AM for the loss, like others will. They’ll look at everything they can fix. AM doesn’t need to be singled out by his coach here. This was a mistake, he knows it.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Easy now .. he's getting looks (shots and chances are really high) but is shooting 8%, half his career average.

He'll be fine.
The looks are certainly there! He's missing the net and has had a few bad breaks (Parayko skate for example).

I would not be shocked though if he ends up in the 40's.

New season.

Same miserable posters.
They can't fire/trade us!! We persevere. For better and worse lol

Reactions: BallardEra

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
1- a system doesn't take a month to instal, we will probably really start to see Berube impact like after christmas...

2-Matthews/Marner/Rielly did a mistake but they are the only reason with Stolarz why we've got a game tonight...Without them, wouldn't look better than last 2

3- Leafs need better pp ( maybe time to split the core on pp... and secondary scoring... Holmberg 1 assist, robertson 1 goal ( in a blowout lost when the gane was already over)... Not sure if A.Nylander, Steeves, Hirvonen, Grebenkin or Tveberg by exemple would be worst right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad