Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I feel like the leafs organization just doesn’t know how to utilize the talent that they have and it all fails spectacularly.
Matthews will be this gpg forward that wins the gold against a Nylander led team Sweden that bested tournament leader in scorer Mitch Marner in the semis. I hate being a leaf fan.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Stolarz the brightest light on this team this season so far. Giving the Leafs good goaltending to give them a chance to win on most nights. Knies has looked really good too and I constantly see him battling hard on the ice and chipping in with some offense as well.

Outside of those two, everyone else has been up and down in their play and I still don't understand why their powerplay SUCKS SO MUCH!??!?! How is that even possible with the players we have?? Some of the games we lost should've been wins if they could ever score worth a damn on the PP.

Seriously I think this team needs some major trades to change things up. There's just something not right with the core of this team and as hard as we've tried to make it work the past several years, its just not the right mix of players. Most of them are likable guys, but its time to end this version of the Leafs and ship out a big name player or two and really change things up.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Everyone can see what happened there, sometimes there is no point in piling on. Nothing wrong with a coach deflecting for his captain.
Yes but the coach shouldn’t be making excuses for a 13.25 million dollar player.
He needs to start coming down hard on this group, real Old Testament biblical like

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
This team will never win when it counts with five soft players making over 61% of the salary cap. For those thinking they should re-sign Marner or Tavares give your head a shake. They’re part of the problem. Not the solution. It’s too bad the other three have full NMC’s because I don’t see them leading the team to a cup either. They just don’t have what it takes.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Matthews is overrated. Time and time again he’s proven this but fans still pretend like he’s in the same class as these other superstars.

Berube’s comments post game were disappointing. I expected a difference response from him.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
He does a weird shuffle that makes it look like he's turning back into the play, but it shouldn't have mattered for Matthews either way
It’s a bad play Matthews it’s on him. But if Matthews thinks turning back into the play but then turns away that’s why 34 side what he did. Should he have looked again yes. That’s on Matthews.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Watch the replay it’ll help explain why he didn’t have an option. His partner in crime half assed went to the bench. Rielly was also at the bruins blueline.
I watched the overhead replay and it looked like Matthews could've easily just taken the puck behind the net and waited for the other guys to finish their change before passing the puck. Don't understand why he felt the need to pass the puck like that.

Oh well as long as it doesn't become a regular occurence I'm not going to hold it against him forever.

Reactions: wingman75

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Split second? He had all day, did you actually watch the game? I don't think he intentionally gave it away at all, he made a terrible play, it wasn't a bad break as you referred to it. Glad you finally acknowledged that.

Just because our 2nd line made mistakes doesn't mean you can't point out Matthews error too.

The loss is far from his fault, but that was a ridiculous play to make in Overtime.
He was getting pressured, and in the moment he decided to make the pass Marner turned. That’s what I saw in the overhead replay, and that’s why I’m posting these thoughts. You welcome to disagree, but im sure the overhead replay they showed on cbc will be available soon.

My response here was to the posters suggesting he just decided to give up the puck like that for no rhyme or reason. Those other two mistakes were much much worse, which is why I single them out. A guy mishandles a puck with time, and the other falls in the ozone. But those will go forgotten because leaf fans will berate their captain for this. If any of our other lines are on we win this in regulation.

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
There is ALWAYS an option other than giving the puck to the other team. Ice it, skate with it, flip it... anything other than what he did. It was a bad read. Big mistake.
If you read my other posts I said he should have wasted high and hard off the glass.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Bruins beat the Leafs in Game 7 of last year's playoffs, you'd think with a new coach and captain they'd show up and show Boston things will be different this year. Yeah not this organization, same old Leafs year after year.
You would have thought they would have shown up against their coach's former team and they didn't then either. They core 4 have the talent just they lack heart and the will to win on a consistent basis.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Well I gotta say at least Sportsnet did the right thing and gave 34 the 2nd Star for a generally listless often out of position and shooting 4 of 5 pucks wide
His ability to not hit the net is something. We all assume he'll course correct... He's had 5-6 shots this season that were guaranteed goals last season, but nothingburgers this season.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How can you even have an ounce of hope with this team? How many more years of proof that you need that they are just a bunch of overrated, overpaid, heartless, passionless and embarrassment of a team?

God bless you that you always have this optimism about this team, but either you need glasses or just need a great old dose of reality. This team has never had it nor will it ever. Not with the make up of this team. They think they are the shit when they haven't done f*** all.

When people are saying they start slow in October, thats the norm, they'll play better next month, how can anyone be ok with that? I want a team that is hungry and serious from beginning until the end. Why can't we have that? Why do we make up so much excuses for these players? Overpaid ones at that.

These players are not serious or actually don't give a f*** because if they did, this would be a team that would be hungry to prove everyone wrong that they are not just a bunch of overrated players that got paid. It's the same old story every f***ing year to start and it will be the same story in the playoffs, that they were "just right there" and lose the first round. It's a joke.
This team is going to end up with 100+ points again. It's not going to finish 22nd overall.

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I watched the overhead replay and it looked like Matthews could've easily just taken the puck behind the net and waited for the other guys to finish their change before passing the puck. Don't understand why he felt the need to pass the puck like that.

Oh well as long as it doesn't become a regular occurence I'm not going to hold it against him forever.
Well Matthews OT habits haven’t been very good the last couple of years. From long extended shifts to bad decisions this isn’t his first one.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Stolarz the brightest light on this team this season so far. Giving the Leafs good goaltending to give them a chance to win on most nights. Knies has looked really good too and I constantly see him battling hard on the ice and chipping in with some offense as well.

Outside of those two, everyone else has been up and down in their play and I still don't understand why their powerplay SUCKS SO MUCH!??!?! How is that even possible with the players we have?? Some of the games we lost should've been wins if they could ever score worth a damn on the PP.

Seriously I think this team needs some major trades to change things up. There's just something not right with the core of this team and as hard as we've tried to make it work the past several years, its just not the right mix of players. Most of them are likable guys, but its time to end this version of the Leafs and ship out a big name player or two and really change things up.

For me our PP is the single biggest issue right now.
We got shutdown last season against the elite teams in our division, then Boston badly shut it down in the playoffs and now this.
It just doesn't make any sense that a PP with one of the greatest goal scorers ever, two 90+ point players in MM/WN and a solid net front guy in Tavares, can get shutdown for any length of time. I posted a stat a few days ago, that in our last 32 playoff games, we're only scoring at a 15% rate which is pathetic.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
He was getting pressured, and in the moment he decided to make the pass Marner turned. That’s what I saw in the overhead replay, and that’s why I’m posting these thoughts. You welcome to disagree, but im sure the overhead replay they showed on cbc will be available soon.

My response here was to the posters suggesting he just decided to give up the puck like that for no rhyme or reason. Those other two mistakes were much much worse, which is why I single them out. A guy mishandles a puck with time, and the other falls in the ozone. But those will go forgotten because leaf fans will berate their captain for this. If any of our other lines are on we win this in regulation.
Ha ha, actually, those were more bad breaks than this one. This was worse imo because it was a conscious decision. The other two were lazy and an actual bad break.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

If the others guys wanted a change they could easily yell that out for Matthews to hold the puck. They see him with his back turned to center ice and skate up to the Bruins blueline is just players who are only concerned about their offensive numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad