Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Losing to the Bruins sucks.

Stolarz does not suck.

Losing to the Bruins sucks.

Matthews….. no comment but the dog says woof.

Marner, hopefully starting to shake the chronic boat brain that plagues him at the start of every season due to excessive Sea-Doo cottage summer fun every year. Some nice passes, and won’t even mention his brainless decison to pass when he had an open net…..

Hoping they show up with pride against Winnipeg but it’s clear nothing has changed with this crew.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I am not sure you know what a 'tough break' is.

Stolarz and Marner were great. Knies scored and was okay. Matthews was fine. Big goal but not great otherwise imo.
Teach me random internet poster.
You don’t have to agree with what I call it, that’s fine, but I think you get my general point. And if you don’t, that’s fine too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like the leafs organization just doesn’t know how to utilize the talent that they have and it all fails spectacularly.
Matthews will be this gpg forward that wins the gold against a Nylander led team Sweden that bested tournament leader in scorer Mitch Marner in the semis. I hate being a leaf fan.

I actually feel pretty good that Canada's center depth will slice and dice the on-paper advantage the Americans have.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Matthews is overrated. Time and time again he’s proven this but fans still pretend like he’s in the same class as these other superstars.

Berube’s comments post game were disappointing. I expected a difference response from him.
Coach is losing the battle of wills. Core Fore must prevail. Berube will be absorbed into the body; Marc Savard has already vanished.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Teach me random internet poster.
You don’t have to agree with what I call it, that’s fine, but I think you get my general point. And if you don’t, that’s fine too.
I don't feel you are interested in learning based on your attitude, you know best right?

Fact of the matter is, the team was not good, and were lucky to get a point. That we can agree on I am sure ;-)

Cheers.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Marner was hesitating at the bench and Matthews didn’t look up, No idea where the defenseman was but it was certainly not helping. Like Berube said everyone was at fault

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
If the others guys wanted a change they could easily yell that out for Matthews to hold the puck. They see him with his back turned to center ice and skate up to the Bruins blueline is just players who are only concerned about their offensive numbers.
Sure communication could've been better, but if you're the player with the puck its your responsibility to make sure your pass is going to a teammate rather than simply throwing it across the ice to no one. Its not really that hard to hold onto the puck and skate behind your own net and wait and if the Bruins player wants to chase you there, then just skate out and you're looking up the ice and can make a proper pass rather than a blind one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews is overrated. Time and time again he’s proven this but fans still pretend like he’s in the same class as these other superstars.

Berube’s comments post game were disappointing. I expected a difference response from him.

Matthews trajectory is definitely not where you want it to be.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
All Matthews had to do was shield the puck and go behind the net. If little rat Marchand follows maybe you just have to complete the turn and reassess. If he peels off you just hold the puck for the line change like any 6th defenseman.
Hell he could’ve iced it if he thought Marchand was pressuring too much and he wasn’t going to get back in time, or take it to the corner and wait for others to arrive or something

THE ONE THING YOU CANT DO IS THROW A PIZZA UP THE ICE TO A 2 ON 1

People blaming Rielly are out to lunch. It’s 3 on 3 OT, Matthews is the last man back so he’s up giving him an option…too bad matthews goes full braindead

It’s plays like this, mismanagement of the puck, and forgetting attention to details that hold us back from winning the division

Starts from the captain

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sure communication could've been better, but if you're the player with the puck its your responsibility to make sure your pass is going to a teammate rather than simply throwing it across the ice to no one. Its not really that hard to hold onto the puck and skate behind your own net and wait and if the Bruins player wants to chase you there, then just skate out and you're looking up the ice and can make a proper pass rather than a blind one.

He's also being pestered by a 5'8" 38 year old so if in an emergency he had to go behind the net and get pinned on the boards the situation is still manageable before reinforcements arrive. Or you just backhand it down the right wing wall and hope you don't get an icing.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Yeah that's it! It's everybody else's fault
If you actually read posts and watch the replay you’ll see 34 is the main problem but having 2 guys past center ice is also a problem. Nobody is letting Matthews off the hook he made a piss poor decision that was the direct cause of the goal but Rielly and Marner not even being in the picture is part of the overall issue.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Dubas' lap dog does have something interesting to say...

I’m not really worried about making the playoffs, I’ll believe they make it until game 82 is over and we aren’t sitting in a playoff spot

What I’m worried about is the same 100-110 point team coming third to play Boston or florida and getting our asses handed to us.

Why not for once, start string, keep strong, finish string and get the division/presidents trophy and get an easier matchup that you can hopefully win and build some confidence and go into round 2 playing a beaten up and battered Florida/boston

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hell he could’ve iced it if he thought Marchand was pressuring too much and he wasn’t going to get back in time, or take it to the corner and wait for others to arrive or something

THE ONE THING YOU CANT DO IS THROW A PIZZA UP THE ICE TO A 2 ON 1

People blaming Rielly are out to lunch. It’s 3 on 3 OT, Matthews is the last man back so he’s up giving him an option…too bad matthews goes full braindead

It’s plays like this, mismanagement of the puck, and forgetting attention to details that hold us back from winning the division

Starts from the captain

Rielly doesn't deserve any blame there, but I could see another defenseman electing not to do the belly flop and could have been in a better spot to defend the ensuing chaos. But Rielly panics so what can you do.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He's also being pestered by a 5'8" 38 year old so if in an emergency he had to go behind the net and get pinned on the boards the situation is still manageable before reinforcements arrive. Or you just backhand it down the right wing wall and hope you don't get an icing.

He could have fed to back to Stolie who had a clearer view to either head man the puck up the ice or just freeze is and start with a fresh line.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
You realize Matthews was out the end of his shift and the Bruins were fresh and we just got the puck back. He wasn't skating away from anyone and everyone on the ice should be aware of this and support him back there instead of leaving him on his own so they could make the simple short passes until they are in a better position to make the change. It was a dumb pass but there's 3 guys on the ice and they left a tired guy out to dry all by himself while they were thinking offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad