Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's October It's not the time to standings watch, especially since if you look at the Atlantic as a whole It's been awful.

Nobody is running away with the Atlantic at this point.

In fact if you look at the east as a whole, only the Rangers and surprisingly the Capitals are truly playing well.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
He didn't need to skate away from anyone. Most likely if he goes behind the net, the Bruins player isn't going to chase him and even if he does, Matthews is facing up the ice and he can see where he's passing and can make a long pass to a teammate before getting off the ice himself. Pretty simple.
He does though. A tired skater on the ice the defender is gonna put pressure on them and chase them because they won't have the legs left to break a way from them. This is something our team has always done over the years and we wonder why so many breakaways or 2 on 1s happen and it's because as soon as we get the puck everyone starts to take off. Bieksa did a good job pointing it out on that Brazeau goal I believe where McMann couldn't handle a pass. Myers got the puck and Benoit and everyone else started to take off up the ice. The person carrying the puck should never be your last line of defence and should always have support from someone. Marner should've turned back and been where that pass went and if he told Matthews he was going to change then Matthews is an idiot.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Robertson needs to sit.

He's supposed to be a depth scorer, he has ONE goal in 9 games and it was completely worthless because it came in a 6-2 loss.

I don't know what's happened to him but he's been totally worthless

Reactions: Kurtz

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Robertson needs to sit.

He's supposed to be a depth scorer, he has ONE goal in 9 games and it was completely worthless because it came in a 6-2 loss.

I don't know what's happened to him but he's been totally worthless
The Hart trophy winner of the pre season. Yet another prime example of why I put zero, zero stock into preseason. Good or bad.

Reactions: Kurtz

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
For anyone who has ever played sports gimme a break. 34 saw 16 open. Made a safe pass at the exact time 16 decided to change. Looks awful but it happens.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
For anyone who has ever played sports gimme a break. 34 saw 16 open. Made a safe pass at the exact time 16 decided to change. Looks awful but it happens.

That is all on Matthews.
you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Berube is at fault too for keeping a dead tired Matthews on the ice.

Watch the play again

Keep your eye on Matthews and see how little he is doing because he is dead tired

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Seems like he’s already walking on eggshells in that case because the fellas don’t respond positively to hard coaching.
Exactly. So nothing has changed despite the constant Berube praise from his buddies in the media. Berube’s quote about Matthews gaffe on the OT goal is clearly from someone who is walking on eggshells and is terrified of upsetting Auston. He went out of his way to avoid putting responsibility on Matthews.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
If he didn't lose the game, how much longer do we think Matthews' shift was going to be?

Berube is a complete dumbass for keeping Matthews on the ice to take that face off.

Matthews was visibly tired after his 20 second shift and should not have taken the face off at 3:21 in OT.

but Matthews played like crap during his shift.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
He does though. A tired skater on the ice the defender is gonna put pressure on them and chase them because they won't have the legs left to break a way from them. This is something our team has always done over the years and we wonder why so many breakaways or 2 on 1s happen and it's because as soon as we get the puck everyone starts to take off. Bieksa did a good job pointing it out on that Brazeau goal I believe where McMann couldn't handle a pass. Myers got the puck and Benoit and everyone else started to take off up the ice. The person carrying the puck should never be your last line of defence and should always have support from someone. Marner should've turned back and been where that pass went and if he told Matthews he was going to change then Matthews is an idiot.
I don't disagree with some of the points you raise, however on this particular play in OT, Matthews was only shadowed by the Bruins player who was a few feet away from him and wasn't even being checked by him or anything. You can clearly see that in the overhead video someone else posted.

If Matthews had simply skated behind the net he almost certainly would have been fine because again the Bruins player likely wouldn't have followed him and even if he did, it would give Matthews a chance to face the right direction, have clear vision of the ice and then he could've made a long pass to a teammate either at center ice or cross ice where there was no Bruins player.

This wasn't a case where Matthews was heavily pressured and had a player draped all over him and he made a bad play. This was a complete unforced error.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I’m just… floored that Matthews threw it away like that. He was having a huge Captain game; comeback goal, working hard and leading from the front all game. And then, whatever the f*** that was to throw it all away.

He’s fully institutionalized at this point, the Leaf rot is a part of him now. This start to his captaincy is inauspicious to say the least, and the end of the big four era inches closer.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Berube caught yelling at Matthews on the bench last game, not happy with the way he and the whole team was playing. Finally, a coach that won't put up with the b.s. from these players any more. We all LOVED it.

Then tonight after Matthews' game-ending screw up, Berube says 'we have to support him more and it was just a mistake' lol... quite the 180.

Some one hauled Craig into the office and let him know that's not the way we do it here???

As someone here pointed out, Berube will be absorbed into this MLSE system and become just another cog in the wheel. No one can make a difference here, the Rogers machine will swallow up anyone who goes against their grain.

The "core 4" sell regular season tickets.

That's all that matters in this city of hockey. If they lose all 82 games but still sell out all their seats, Rogers prevails and no changes shall be made.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Someone mentioned it, the 2nd goal was reminiscent of a goal JVR scored against us in the playoffs last year. It involved Edmundson heading up ice to join the rush.. why? Why is a defensive d man busting it to blow the zone?

Similar with Benoit tonight. McMann has to handle a puck on the RW,, he's a left shot. So even if he collects it clean he would benefit from Benoit activating, but below him . McMann doesn't handle it and Benoit is high and wide.. why? What is Simon Benoit going to do on the rush there?

That feels like coaching to me.. so figure it the f*** out..

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
In regulation, I thought Matthews was the best player on either team. Dominating the puck, he was sick on Knies’ goal, and obviously tying it up late in the 3rd. But then … WTF was that in OT?!? Absolutely brutal turnover, threw the game away on a totally unforced error. Yeah he was gassed, but as an NHLer you have to dig deep and still make decent plays when it’s OT, that was insanely lazy.

Stolarz and Marner were good all game, OEL and Rielly too.

Other than that … not good.

Last edited:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Leaf fans have heard that Boston goal song more often than the Bruins fans themselves

On a more serious note, only 12 pages on this topic? Isn't in normally 30, 40 or 50+ ??

Leafs nation finally becoming disinterested? Focusing their attention elsewhere?

We all know this message forum is used by professionals and those in charge to see where Leafs popularity and interest is at. They absolutely 100% monitor this site to compile their statistics and measure Leafs popularity and fans' opinions, etc... and just 12 pages on a Saturday night is maybe the lowest I've seen in years!

...Leaf fans finally tuning out?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Hands up if you predicted the pk was gonna be exposed this year.

Not much to say except Tanev and Rielly were disappointing. Nylander and Matthews were disappointing too. The whole damn team was disappointing.

Looks like Berube is playing good cop/bad cop.

Except he's taking on the role of both parts. One game he's yelling at Matthews on the bench. The next he's covering for Matthews after a boneheaded giveaway cost them the game.

I fail to see how that was anyone's fault but the greatest player in Leafs history.

Marc Savard should be fired effective immediately. Whatever it is they're supposed to be doing on the power play clearly isn't working. At this point I think they'd be better off just setting up in the 1-3-1 looking for one timers.

The saddest thing is that penalty kill is probably even worse.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
On to the next one. There will be pain this year.

Coach is losing the battle of wills. Core Fore must prevail. Berube will be absorbed into the body; Marc Savard has already vanished.
It's a long f***ing season my guy. The fact that shit games are happening now is probably a good thing IMHO

henryasteroidlionnet

May 4, 2024
That was an awful giveaway by Matthews. What was he thinking?? How can you make a pass like that deep in your zone in OT with the game on the line? Unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad