Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Frankly, no I don’t think he was especially good. For a rivalry game, coming off last years playoff elimination and a rough week you’d expect the highest paid player in the game to dominate.

Sure he set up the Knies goal on a little drive play but it was pretty tepid stuff for 55 minutes or whatever before that tying goal. Came to life in OT and had the blood back in the legs, controlled things. Otherwise, it’s just not enough.
I think they lost as a team tonight and your frustration is misdirected but to each their own.. And I think Matthews can play better sure but I don't think he was the reason we lost tonight, even though he was the reason we lost tonight.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think they lost as a team tonight and your frustration is misdirected but to each their own.. And I think Matthews can play better sure but I don't think he was the reason we lost tonight, even though he was the reason we lost tonight.

No other Leaf was responsible for OT other than Matthews.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

More accurate. ;)

Game tying goal and then the OT goal

toronto-mike-brown.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ClarkSittler

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
If that was me making the boneheaded play instead of Matthews you'd all be saying it looks like whatever I had in the second intermission in the washroom to keep me going just wore off.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Not saying it wasn’t a mistake, but there is a bit of bad luck there. These guys are are making split second plays out there. He sees his man going to where he expects him to be, he didn’t see him at the bench.

All I’m saying is that this is one of those tough mistakes. He’ll own it, but this shouldn’t be the focus of the game. Our top line and Stolarz carried us today.
That play had no luck involved imo. It was a terrible read and decision.

It was a major impact mistake, like the other two that ended up in our net (McMann and Nylander). Three of their goals were basically given to them... you cannot win like that.

Stolarz was excellent.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Did realize it was broken but get your a$$ to the bench then. He didn’t exactly put his head down and skate

Still think Matthews just made a boneheaded decision. He had time. He was tired and just made a brain dead decision. Nothing really to do with Marner. Leafs were holding possession the entire OT. No reason for Matthews to rush that play.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Self inflicted loss:

First Boston goal bonehead penalty by McCabe
Second goal McMann loses easy pass
Third goal Nylander shit show
Fourth goal Matthews gift to Boston

Too many stupid penalties, terrible PP again, many stupid plays by McCabe and Rielly, effort insufficient.

Oh, and we’ll beat Winnipeg on Monday cause at this point, this team does things this way. We’ve seen this movie before.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's the curse of the Leafs.

My luck, I will be on my deathbed watching Leafs in the Cup Finals on a TV in the hospital, Leafs win Game Seven in OT. I expire five minutes before the GWG.

Sports. A blessing (especially to play and stay active) and a curse.

• Haha
Reactions: BallardEra

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Clearly it would be a disaster if they end up in 20th place overall or whatever, but we all know that isn't going to happen. People just like to moan for the sake of moaning.
Yeah it's not like they have anything to moan about the team has had so much success these last 20 years. :rolleyes:

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Of course he wasn’t, but that won’t matter to some fans.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No trade clauses or not, our Leafs management should make the entire core available for trade just to embarrass them.

These players just keep embarrassing our organization, and us as Leafs Nation. Enough is enough !!!

JMHO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's too bad that the Matthews screw up was the game ending goal. I would have loved to watch Berube going ballistic on Matthews on the bench after that one.

If Berube was saving his nuclear bomb for a special occasion tonight might be the night.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Ok so not bad break, but you get what I mean. He thought the player was going to be there, and in that moment the other player decided to turn to the bench. This wasn’t some Hail Mary prayer pass like some are making it seem. It was an unfortunate sequence.
Do you not remember if you broke you stick and headed for the bench, you made your teammates aware you were gone

Ad

Ad

Ad