Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Second line got taken advantage by the Bruins 3rd and 4th. No secondary scoring today, that was the difference.

Tough break in OT, but highly questionable decision to put Matthews and Marner out there, they had already out so long. Then again, our other lines were dog shit.

Another solid game from Stolarz. Marner was amazing tonight.
That wasn't a tough break, that was a boneheaded play. One of the worst giveaways I've ever seen.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Auston Matthews was great tonight.

Auston Matthews also blew this f***ing game.

Somebody needs to explain to me what the f*** he was even trying to do because there was NOBODY there.

And even if you say he was trying to pass it to Marner which is what I suspect he was trying to do that's still stupid because Marner didn't have a stick.

What the f*** was he doing?

WHY

FOR THE PURPOSE OF WHAT?

That no look hero pass to the open wing was the kind of dumb only Alex Galchenyuk could muster, as in you have to dig pretty deep to pull something so un-NHL. I don't need the temporary heroics of the game tying goal if I can't trust my superstar knowing he's capable of that kind of major malfunction under light pressure.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
That wasn't a tough break, that was a boneheaded play. One of the worst giveaways I've ever seen.
Sure it was, they showed the replay from above. Matthews likely thought Marner would be there, but Marner turned to the bench in that same moment. Doubt he knew he didn’t have his stick.

Reactions: ACC1224

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
Matthews just went from hero to zero in less than 5 minutes tonight. Scored the tying Goal very late in the 3rd and has a direct assist on the bruins winning goal in overtime. He folded under pressure and made a stupid and unforced pass at critical time.

Other than that he had a pass on the knies goal based on a swarming drive play to the net. Knies found an opening in the scramble around the net and scored.

What a Careless and stupid giveaway by him.

Stolarz should be exempt of any blame tonight. He kept the leafs alive in this game. He was Beyond reproach

Marner great performance 3 assists

Knies solid one goal tonight

Tanev/McCabe pairing on defense was rock solid

The third line has been good too

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
This was a decent all around effort ruined by a few rookie mistakes.

Second goal, McMann bobbles the pass.

Third Willy was looking for the 10 on technical merit and took an edge.

Winner...just what the f*** was that, AM?!

It's palatable after two bad losses (I don't think they played horrible against the Blues but they got pounded), but I'm concerned because there was nothing in their first 6 games to indicate this breakdown.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Sure it was, they showed the replay from above. Matthews thought Marner would be there but he turned to the bench in that same moment. Doubt he knew he didn’t have his stick.
It's your job to be aware of what is going on out there. Idiotic play. No excuses. Bad breaks are not decisions. He will own that.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It would be nice to see some accountability for all the stars. Not just Matthews but if Marner plays like shit he should face that too. Doesn’t help Nylander was missing tonight either

The organization decided to elevate Auston Matthews in the offseason after a very controversial playoffs and with that elevated responsibility he will also be held to a higher standard. And he's failing at everything.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
That no look hero pass to the open wing was the kind of dumb only Alex Galchenyuk could muster, as in you have to dig pretty deep to pull something so un-NHL. I don't need the temporary heroics of the game tying goal if I can't trust my superstar knowing he's capable of that kind of major malfunction under light pressure.
There could have been a miscommunication on the ice at that moment we don't know. That type of play isn't very characteristic I would say. If not then it's a mistake yes. And he did just tie the game and overall had a good game no?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Lots of struggle these last few to muster any sort of sustainable forecheck/pressure/attack and they seem to lack any decent structure in the o-zone to generate 2nd or 3rd chances

Reactions: Rocker13

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Atlantic Division has been a complete shitshow to start the season LOL

1729995159566.png

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
There could have been a miscommunication on the ice at that moment we don't know. That type of play isn't very characteristic I would say. If not then it's a mistake yes. And he did just tie the game and overall had a good game no?
He was decent. Couple good moments, but overall he was very blah I would say. That mistake, and it was a mistake, a bonehead one at that, needlessly gave the game away.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It's your job to be aware of what is going on out there. Idiotic play. No excuses. Bad breaks are not decisions. He will own that.

Ok so not bad break, but you get what I mean. He thought the player was going to be there, and in that moment the other player decided to turn to the bench. This wasn’t some Hail Mary prayer pass like some are making it seem. It was an unfortunate sequence.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Sure it was, they showed the replay from above. Matthews likely thought Marner would be there, but Marner turned to the bench in that same moment. Doubt he knew he didn’t have his stick.
You don't throw the puck away because you thought someone was going to be there, it's your responsibility to know where your teammates are before passing them the puck. I bet you though Galchenyuk's giveaway in the playoffs against Montreal was a bad break too right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad