Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I like Broberg a lot and defended him while he started slow in the AHL but he's not worth that cap hit.

Neither is Holloway. I'd let both walk.

Not immediately but if Broberg can become a good 2nd pair defenseman it'll definitely be worth it. And then it would be at a relatively cheap acquisition price.

I've been surprised that many EDM fans don't care all that much for Holloway.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
They aren't both gone in two years. Broberg is gone in a few days. Holloway is the guy that they'll lose again when this deal is up. Oilers can't match on Broberg. Can't afford it. The cap will prevent them from matching.

The idea they trade away a pretty important player in Ceci + a key draft pick to dump him just to resign Broberg is not a forward move either. Ceci's has value at his AAV in the last year of his deal. He was important to the Oilers in the playoffs. He's not someone you can simply replace in UFA in August.
They are both gone, do you want me to give exact dates or something? My opinion is that the clock has started ticking on when they are gone not if, do you agree with that?

Reactions: Fatass

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Imagine being a blues fan and coming to read about the offer sheet and what oil fans think (and other blues fans).

Then arriving to read about Nucks fans feelings about playoffs.lol.

Funny sidenote from all of this.. bro and bouch will be paid roughly the same next year.

Bro was frustrated.. asked for a trade.. didn't get it and now won the lottery. Happy for him.

I've already run out of popcorn.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

IF Edmonton tries to do the Kane LTIR route, I wouldn't be surprised to see the league intervene in some capacity. LTIR was brought up last season and to have a player seemingly go all summer before getting surgery screams cap circumvention.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

IF Edmonton tries to do the Kane LTIR route, I wouldn't be surprised to see the league intervene in some capacity. LTIR was brought up last season and to have a player seemingly go all summer before getting surgery screams cap circumvention.

Doctors have to cross T's and dot I's for LTIR. Kane says he will be ready for training camp, dont know if the LTIR route is possible. Sounds like CBA legalize needs to be clarified.
Doesn't Kane have a NMC?
Yes.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

As much as I'd love to see the Oilers get punished, I hope that scenario doesn't happen. The "woe is me the NHL hates us" Canadian fans are whiny enough as it is without any legitimate reason. I'd rather the league not give them one

Reactions: Voight and Laus723

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
so what's the "correct" and "likeable" way to build a franchise?
There’s no correct way, but likeable, sure.

1) Don’t have a franchise solely based on the power of repeated tanking.

2) Hire smart hockey people that make your franchise better. Holland for example, did a lot of dumb things, but he made some moves I would give him credit for and he inherited a hot mess.

3) Assess the character of the people you’re hiring, regardless of their efficacy.

4) Maybe show your franchise is smart enough to draft beyond the first round, even if they’re not cornerstone players (this might be just me rephrasing #1).

I’m sure most people are here talking hockey because we believe it’s not all just dumb luck. The Oilers are totally proving that wrong, and hiring as many villains as they can in a desperate attempt to keep McDrai happy. It’s not so likeable.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
1723572780344.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Holloway should be matched. That's relatively cheap, and the compensation for losing him isn't high (3rd) enough to let him walk.

He's a physical guy who doesn't lack offensive upside. That's something you don't let walk at a relatively cheap price.
If you don't have the cap space though and you can't pull off a move, you may not have the choice.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
This sounds like some behind the scene revenge by Army. He’s never done this and the players he’s targeting, while good players, seems like purposeful overpays. It’s good entertainment tho.

Reactions: Memento

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If he doesn't need surgery, he'd have to pass a physical to prevent EDM from not placing him on IR.

Sounds like he needs it. As for waiting til the end of summer, can always make the excuse that they tried to rehab it hoping surgery could be avoided, but deemed it necessary after rehab was unsuccessful.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
It's great because it's not just an offer sheet, but two of them for players on the same team. They're clearly designed to put EDM in a tough spot. The offer sheet really is the evil method of player movement. It's like every time one happens it's not just a team trying to acquire a player, it's got some nefarious underhandedness about it.
I think that's basically the only way an offer sheet might not be matched. You have to put the other team in a spot where you assume they have to let the player(s) walk. Otherwise you're kind of just wasting time just to be a dick (which is something I approve of, personally).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think that's basically the only way an offer sheet might not be matched. You have to put the other team in a spot where you assume they have to let the player(s) walk. Otherwise you're kind of just wasting time just to be a dick (which is something I approve of, personally).
I think though the unique thing here is that not many teams put themselves in a spot like the Oilers did where they are already in cap hell and didn’t move out a contract over the summer.
A number of people have said all summer that they were vulnerable to an offer sheet. St. Louis doing the first double offer sheet was really creative imo to take advantage of a team in cap trouble.

Reactions: RORbacon and JKG33

Bond

May 10, 2012
Nah, they will have to address it in the next CBA in a bigger way. I am not an Oilers fan at all but Tampa and Vegas are the ones that need addressing if they go after a team

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This sounds like some behind the scene revenge by Army. He’s never done this and the players he’s targeting, while good players, seems like purposeful overpays. It’s good entertainment tho.

They are purposeful overpays because that is the only way to both get a player to sign an offer sheet and give the team incentive not to match it.

If they offer Broberg 1 year at 2M, he doesn't sign it, and even if he does, Edmonton matches it.

Cap is an asset. This is similar to when teams leverage unused cap space to take on a bad contract packaged with something good. Except in this case the something good is getting a player they maybe value at a 1st for a 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad