Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and contend for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

Coming after rumours of Drai and Mcdavid leaning towards team friendly deals...
Oilers haven't given him much NHL time in his ELC while they had bad D. Who's to say he doesn't believe he will even get a chance to play with McDavid. Now he gets offered over 9M over 2 years...that's a team that will guarantee play him.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Would be epic of dubas goes full circle and Oilers pay the pens to take on a contract to clear cap so they can match.

1.Get STL 2nd rounder to take on Hayes.

2.Give back St.louis 2nd rounder with interest so they can offer sheet oilers players, puting them in a bad spot.

3. Let Oilers pay to get out of the bad spot pens got paid to create

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Ceci and kulak have no trade value. If you need to trade them teams are gonna bend you over and ask for a first with them
I think Kulak easily fetches a 3rd, maybe a 2nd as he did 2 years ago at TDL. He is a very good 3rd pair guy on a reasonable contract. Even with pressure to trade they should easily find a taker without having to pay to trade him, but when you see walman needed a sweetener, anything can happen…

That being said, I don t see how EDM can keep both except if Kane goes LTIR.

Reactions: Bgav

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
4.5M for Broberg? Ouch. He's shown flashes that he could be a top 4 defenseman, especially in the playoffs, but its only been that - flashes. I don't see how Edmonton can match that even if they could find the cap space, it just seems excessive. Holloway's is an overpay as well, as offer sheets always are, but it would be easier to manage him at 2.3 than Broberg at 4.6.

A 2nd for Broberg would probably be fair value if the Oilers were trying to move him via trade. I don't think a 3rd is enough for Holloway. I think if I'm Edmonton and I can make the cap space work, I let Broberg go and match Holloway's offer sheet.

NHL needs to investigate Kane Injury situation. Why is he delaying surgery etc
It wouldn't be the first time a player delayed surgery and tried to rehab an injury, only to discover that rehabbing the injury wasn't working.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Awesome, don't see enough offer sheets & I like these both for STL.

If Broberg picks up where he left off in the playoffs this could be a steal of a move assuming they get him. I imagine Holloway is more likely for EDM to keep.
I like Broberg a lot and defended him while he started slow in the AHL but he's not worth that cap hit.

Neither is Holloway. I'd let both walk.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Now the Kane to ltir news yesterday makes more sense. Edmonton likely knew this was coming.

I don’t understand signing an offer sheet unless you’re 100% sure your current team isn’t going to match which in this case the way the deals are structured, Edmonton is almost assuredly going to begrudgingly match.

You’re on a team that’s trying to win the Cup and has veterans leaving money on the table and you go and sign a deal that far exceeds your performance/trendline and maximizes how badly it screws your team over. Great way to ensure everyone in the room hates you. I’m sure it won’t be awkward for them at all.

Would you take your teammates respect but make much less? Or take the money but your teammates hate you? I choose money, boss.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and contend for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

Please.

If a competing company to yours offered you a life-changing, guaranteed raise and you knew there was likely a 0% chance you were ever getting that much from your current employer, you’d do the exact same thing. Just like any other sane person would.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ceci and kulak have no trade value. If you need to trade them teams are gonna bend you over and ask for a first with them
I disagree big time. Kulak plays up to his contract, and exceeds it in the playoffs. As per Ceci, I'll just put it this way - Matt Dumba just signed for a higher cap hit, after a season where he looked atrocious. Right shot D go for a premium, I would be suprised if no teams would take Ceci at his cap hit given what other RD sign for every summer. Plus, he only has a year left.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Now the Kane to ltir news yesterday makes more sense. Edmonton likely knew this was coming.

I don’t understand signing an offer sheet unless you’re 100% sure your current team isn’t going to match which in this case the way the deals are structured, Edmonton is almost assuredly going to begrudgingly match.

You’re on a team that’s trying to win the Cup and has veterans leaving money on the table and you go and sign a deal that far exceeds your performance/trendline and maximizes how badly it screws your team over. Great way to ensure everyone in the room hates you. I’m sure it won’t be awkward for them at all.
Newsflash: this is not how it works. Every player wants other players, especially their teammates, to get paid. It's up to the GM to construct a cup-calibre team, not up to the players to take massive discounts and give up money if they have the chance to grab it.

Guess what the Oilers and their locker room can do to offset these deals? Sign Draisaitl to another long term deal for less than 10M per. And if he won't do it, would the fans and the other players hate him too?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Oilers should have tried to make cap room before these offer sheets came out. Trying to dump someone like Ceci now is going to cost more because teams know the Oilers are up against a deadline.

I don't see any way they match Broberg - especially because it's a two-year deal. Next year they'll need to squeeze in Drai and Bouchard. I can't see them also fitting in $4M+ for Broberg.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Easier to leave money on the table when you’ve earned a lot already. Hard to blame a guy for going for this big of an offer.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Would you take your teammates respect but make much less? Or take the money but your teammates hate you? I choose money, boss.
Yeah, you can't blame the players here. Neither are superstars, and the window to earn money as an NHL player is relatively short - most players only get one or two good contracts before their time is up. These guys are now guaranteed at least 4.6 and 9M, respectively. You can't criticize them for taking a payday, in my opinion.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Well if I was poor and didn’t believe in myself, or if I was playing on a terrible team, I’d take the money all day.

But if I had already made over 5M from my elc and I was finding my way on a team that has a legit shot at winning the Cup, and I knew the chances are pretty good that at 23 I’ve still got some good earning years in front of me, If probably take a cheap 1-2 year deal because chances are good I might never be this close to winning again. I’d rather make a little less overall and maximize my chance of winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad