Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He will be getting big minutes with st louis. Just admit you are upset that he chose whats best for him and his family vs whats best for edm oilers and his mismanagement

Honestly, I've got no issue when a player chooses to chase the bag.

I like Holloway a ton, but there's a reason he was likely starting on the 4th line in Edmonton. He's not irreplaceable. (Hell, if you want to hear from the petty side of me, I'm happy this finally (near) guarantees that Lavoie gets a deserved shot in Edmonton)

With Broberg it's clear as day to see why he signed: 3 to 4 times the money the Oil could offer and a gifted spot in the top 4 on his natural left side.

Holloway on the other hand? I can easily see him end up in a Kostin-in-Detroit situation due to St. Louis' depth.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Well lets do some lines

Buch thomas neighbors
Saad schenn kyrou
Hollaway texier bolduc
Joseph faksa torps

Leddy parayko
Broberg faulk
Suter? Kessel

I know Texier, Joseph and Faksa are new, but i couldn’t tell you shit about them.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

I like Holloway a ton, but there's a reason he was likely starting on the 4th line in Edmonton. He's not irreplaceable. (Hell, if you want to hear from the petty side of me, I'm happy this finally (near) guarantees that Lavoie gets a deserved shot in Edmonton)

With Broberg it's clear as day to see why he signed: 3 to 4 times the money the Oil could offer and a gifted spot in the top 4 on his natural left side.

Holloway on the other hand? I can easily see him end up in a Kostin-in-Detroit situation due to St. Louis' depth.
He will be our third line lw.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I know Texier, Joseph and Faksa are new, but i couldn’t tell you shit about them.
Texier 30 pt center lets dean go down to ahl and develop his game.
Joseph 27 year old 30 pt right winger
Faksa
20 30 career point center use to be fast. 6'3"

Last edited by a moderator:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Nah, Holloway is really young and was great in the AHL. Id love to have him on the Avs.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He will be our third line lw.

Ehh...

Well lets do some lines

Buch thomas neighbors
Saad schenn kyrou
Hollaway texier bolduc
Joseph faksa torps

Leddy parayko
Broberg faulk
Suter? Kessel

If the Oil had added Joseph or Torp (ignoring the cap), there's a decent chance it'd have likely come at the expense of Holloway's spot (especially once Kane is healthy). Holloway has upside, but at the moment those two are superior players.

It's the same feeling I have with Broberg. Yeah there's a lot of upside there, but he's not a league above someone like POJ, whom the Blues signed for under a mil.

Reactions: Mike Liut

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Blues doing the one thing I wish more teams did, by announcing their offer sheets.

I'm still convinced there's a ton of offer sheets we never hear about, every summer, because they fall through.

I’ll bet there are zero unsigned offer sheets every summer. Teams only write up offer sheets after the RFA player has already agreed to contract terms.

I’m sure there are many prospective contacts from teams asking if a player would be interested in an offer sheet that never proceed further.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I’ll bet there are zero unsigned offer sheets every summer. Teams only write up offer sheets after the RFA player has already agreed to contract terms.

I’m sure there are many prospective contacts from teams asking if a player would be interested in an offer sheet that never proceed further.
I really wonder how much in depth talk there is between player x and team y. I get that a team can talk to an agent and be told dont bother, but how much talk actually happens over unsigned RFAs.

993c76e3-c939-457b-90d0-231685505f1d_text.gif

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Broberg is 100% gone. I could see Holloway staying but really, EDM has options to replace those two.
View attachment 901070
View attachment 901071

Dermott and Lindstrom catch my eye as replacements for Broberg's role. It's a pity Kylington last week as he would have been a nice fit too.

Though there's not a ton up front; maybe Martin if they want a proper enforcer/fighter while Kane is out. But I think it's more likely they wait until guys are on waivers and snag a speedy centre (at under half of Holloway's cap hit) to put between Lavoie and Perry on the 4th line.

Last edited:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
They can go 10% over the cap in the summer. They just have to sort out the problem before the season starts. They also have Josh Brown showing as a main roster player at 1M when he is easily a guy we could slide through waivers and bury the hit on, if they have to.
What’s the scouting report on Brown? Asking for a friend…

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The players in the Oilers dressing room don't need to be reminded that their fellow players are actual people, with responsibilities, families, and a short window to maximise their earnings as an athlete. More than a few of those guys played with Klefbom, who fortunately for him, had signed a nice contract before his career ended unexpectedly.

The Oilers dressing room understands. It's fans that need constant reminder that the players are people first, not commodities.

This.

The idea that there are players in the room that would be upset with another man looking to maximize their earnings is just silly and I'd go further and call any player upset here an idiot.

It's like being mad at Draisaitl for getting 13+ on his next deal. I'd bet everyone in the room will applaud that.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
A weird way for Holloway to get that is by actively choosing not to play with the two best players in the game during key RFA years, thereby hurting his point totals and future earning potential.

And now he's stuck on a bottom feeder that lacks starpower. No winning, and no bigger paychecks because he won't be scoring much more than what he is already. That doesn't sound like a perfect decision at all.
the copium from you has been the highlight of the thread.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This.

The idea that there are players in the room that would be upset with another man looking to maximize their earnings is just silly and I'd go further and call any player upset here an idiot.

It's like being mad at Draisaitl for getting 13+ on his next deal. I'd bet everyone in the room will applaud that.
Do you really expect all the players to applaud one dude taking everything and forcing other players to theoretically barely scrape by in comparison or just go to another team? Being a team sport doesn't only apply to on ice.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Do you really expect all the players to applaud one dude taking everything and forcing other players to theoretically barely scrape by in comparison or just go to another team? Being a team sport doesn't only apply to on ice.

Yes. I do.

Rising tides elevate all ships.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I really wonder how much in depth talk there is between player x and team y. I get that a team can talk to an agent and be told dont bother, but how much talk actually happens over unsigned RFAs.

993c76e3-c939-457b-90d0-231685505f1d_text.gif

You’d think if the agents and GMs are doing their jobs properly there’s a good bit of discussion.

On the other hand it’s rarely worth putting together an offer sheet you know the other team is going to comfortably match. Now you the opposing GM have simply done the other GMs negotiation work for them. Theres an inherent requirement to overpay players on an offer sheet, which might have fallout on your own team when negotiating other player contracts and/or managing the salary cap in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad