Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
This is why I don't get this from Holloway.

St.Louis doesn't have the star power EDM does, but they are deep. Buch, Kyrou, Neighbours, Saad, Joseph, Texier; which winger is Holloway knocking out of the top 9? They've also got Toropchenko and Kapanen as other wingers pushing for icetime.

Edmonton at least has the motivation to plan around him as he's a former 1st rounder and they've sunk several years into developing him. In St. Louis? He's a guy they paid a 3rd for and is spare depth.

I think the Blues - if he isn't re-signed by Edmonton, of course - would likely use Holloway as a middle-six center (if I'm not mistaken, which I very well might be, he was used as a center in the AHL, was he not?), push Faksa down a line. Here's what I would do (I know the Blues wouldn't.):

Zachary Bolduc - Robert Thomas - Jordan Kyrou
Pavel Buchnevich - Dylan Holloway - Jake Neighbours
Brandon Saad - Alexandre Texier - Brayden Schenn
Alexei Toropchenko - Radek Faksa - Mathieu Joseph

Nathan Walker, Oskar Sundqvist (gladly firing Kapanen's ass into the sun).

Nick Leddy - Colton Parayko
Philip Broberg - Justin Faulk
Ryan Suter/Pierre-Olivier Joseph - Matt Kessel

Pierre-Olivier Joseph/Ryan Suter (Perunovich and Tucker are JAGs who will likely be waiver-wired if Broberg is signed. Probably wouldn't get anything for them, but we'll see.)

Jordan Binnington
Joel Hofer

If players like Zach Dean, Jimmy Snuggerud, Dalibor Dvorsky, and some of the other the various younger defensemen in the system (Michael Buchinger being the most likely, but also Leo Loof, Marc-Andre Gaudet, maybe Arseni Koromyslov, if he comes over), Vadim Zherenko (our top goalie prospect) etc. prove themselves exceptional this year, the Blues could easily recoup some of the draft picks we've lost by trading players like Saad (who is a very good candidate to be moved this year), Faksa (to a contender), Suter (if a contender wants him at the deadline), maybe one or both of the Josephs (definitely options, particularly Mathieu), and/or maybe even Binnington when Hofer takes the reins and Zherenko proves that he no longer belongs in the AHL.

Krug obviously has zero value and no place here, but his contract's coming off the books in 2026 when we'll have to pay our guys. Eventually, Lindstein and Jiricek are going to take Leddy's and Faulk's spots, respectively (who come off the books in 2026 and 2027 - again, respectively), and maybe we pay someone to take Schenn's contract off our books years later when Stenberg comes over.

Then the lines would look somewhat like this after the trade deadline (assuming everyone hits. Yes, I know it won't happen, shhh...):

Jake Neighbours - Robert Thomas - Jordan Kyrou
Pavel Buchnevich - Dalibor Dvorsky - Jimmy Snuggerud
Zachary Bolduc - Dylan Holloway - Brayden Schenn
Alexandre Texier - Zach Dean - Alexei Toropchenko

Nathan Walker, Oskar Sundqvist.

Philip Broberg - Matt Kessel
Michael Buchinger - Justin Faulk

Pierre-Olivier Joseph (if not traded)

Joel Hofer/Vadim Zherenko

That's a young group that I think could easily make the playoffs as a taste for what's to come or at least come very close - and the best part is that a lot of the money owed to the free agents will clear and we'll be able to sign our main younger RFA players next year (Hofer, Neighbours, maybe, just maybe Toropchenko, but we have Juraj Pekarcik waiting in the wings anyway), and we already have a solid amount of cap space anyway. So that's a long-term contract for Hofer and a fairly decent bridge for Neighbours.

I love this move because if Broberg lives up to his draft slot and what he did in the playoffs, we've got our number one, all situations left-handed defenseman again that we would likely go ham on re-signing. If we get Holloway, that's an obvious bonus.

Last edited:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
You've posted this so many times, and I've responded a number of times as well. This is the last time.

Kane LTIR - 5.125M
J. Brown Minors - 1M
Roster player trade - Cody Ceci or Brett Kulak are the likely candidates, most fans would prefer Ceci. This would bring them 2.75M - 3.25M
TOTAL - 8.875M - 9.375M

It leaves us with the issue of how to fit Kane after he is ready to come off LTIR, but it would make us compliant with a full roster.

I don't expect we match Broberg's deal, and if we don't, we will be 2,644,624 over the salary cap. We can get under by putting Kane on LTIR.
Don’t waste your time, he’s not worth it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One thing about making a Cup Final, all of the sudden other GMs think all your players are gold, lol.

Desharnais was a career AHLer 18 months ago, at the trade deadline people were saying Broberg couldn't even return a 2nd rounder, McLeod was a marginal player, Holloway had an mediocre 9 points in 38 games, etc. etc.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
One thing about making a Cup Final, all of the sudden other GMs think all your players are gold, lol.

Desharnais was a career AHLer 18 months ago, at the trade deadline people were saying Broberg couldn't even return a 2nd rounder, McLeod was a marginal player, Holloway had an mediocre 9 points in 38 games, etc. etc.

Weird comparison. Desharnais was a 28-year-old bottom-pairing UFA who is being paid as a bottom-pairing defenseman. Broberg is a 23-year-old RFA, which is typical offer-sheet territory.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I don’t think making the Cup finals had anything to do with it. Both are former first round picks who really haven’t been given a great opportunity in the NHL in part because of injuries.
I mean looking at the other side before the offer sheets many Oiler fans had Broberg slotted into the second pairing and were high on Holloway as a third line speedy winger with upside.
Now many are saying it’s no big loss if they don’t match.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Weird comparison. Desharnais was a 28-year-old bottom-pairing UFA who is being paid as a bottom-pairing defenseman. Broberg is a 23-year-old RFA, which is typical offer-sheet territory.

Desharnais is a rarity, usually by age 25 if you're still in the AHL, that's curtains for you, to score a multi-year garunteed NHL contract ... I doubt that would happen unless he was on a high profile team like the Oilers.

Broberg .. this dude has played like maybe 10 good NHL games in his career and was floundering in the AHL just a few months ago, lol. Gets a 2 year $4+ million contract based on that.

Then there's Ryan McLeod who returned the Oilers a guy who was a top 10 draft pick.

There definitely is an inflationary effect going on here.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
That's a young group that I think could easily make the playoffs as a taste for what's to come or at least come very close

I love this move because if Broberg lives up to his draft slot and what he did in the playoffs, we've got our number one, all situations left-handed defenseman again that we would likely go ham on re-signing. If we get Holloway, that's an obvious bonus.
Holloway hasn't played any center at the NHL level, and the book is still out on whether he will have the offence to play consistently in the top six. He played about half of his playoff minutes with Leon last year and his ES scoring/60 was tied for 9th on the team for forwards. Holloway had a few good games, but his production despite playing with one of the league's best centers was just ok. Similar to guys like Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and Foegele. Expecting the Blues to be a playoff contender with him as the second line center seems pretty optimistic. He has good size and motor so I think he'll for sure be a lock as a bottom six player, but he still needs work on positioning and puck management, and his offence might end up coming up short.

I'm not sure what you saw Broberg do in the playoffs, but he was solidly a third pair guy in terms of usage. He had some Zadorov effect. Oilers shot 13% with him on the ice, and his personal shooting percentage was 33%. He did not look like an all situations number 1 guy to me. I think he can become a top four guy, but would expect some growing pains this year for sure if he is thrust into that role full time. . He has some of the same issues as Nurse. Outstanding physical tools but has occasional erratic decision making.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think the Blues - if he isn't re-signed by Edmonton, of course - would likely use Holloway as a middle-six center (if I'm not mistaken, which I very well might be, he was used as a center in the AHL, was he not?), push Faksa down a line. Here's what I would do (I know the Blues wouldn't.):

Zachary Bolduc - Robert Thomas - Jordan Kyrou
Pavel Buchnevich - Dylan Holloway - Jake Neighbours
Brandon Saad - Alexandre Texier - Brayden Schenn
Alexei Toropchenko - Radek Faksa - Mathieu Joseph

Nathan Walker, Oskar Sundqvist (gladly firing Kapanen's ass into the sun).

Philip Broberg - Justin Faulk
Ryan Suter/Pierre-Olivier Joseph - Matt Kessel

Pierre-Olivier Joseph/Ryan Suter (Perunovich and Tucker are JAGs who will likely be waiver-wired if Broberg is signed. Probably wouldn't get anything for them, but we'll see.)

Jordan Binnington
Joel Hofer

If players like Zach Dean, Jimmy Snuggerud, Dalibor Dvorsky, and some of the other the various younger defensemen in the system (Michael Buchinger being the most likely, but also Leo Loof, Marc-Andre Gaudet, maybe Arseni Koromyslov, if he comes over), Vadim Zherenko (our top goalie prospect) etc. prove themselves exceptional this year, the Blues could easily recoup some of the draft picks we've lost by trading players like Saad (who is a very good candidate to be moved this year), Faksa (to a contender), Suter (if a contender wants him at the deadline), maybe one or both of the Josephs (definitely options, particularly Mathieu), and/or maybe even Binnington when Hofer takes the reins and Zherenko proves that he no longer belongs in the AHL.

Krug obviously has zero value and no place here, but his contract's coming off the books in 2026 when we'll have to pay our guys. Eventually, Lindstein and Jiricek are going to take Leddy's and Faulk's spots, respectively (who come off the books in 2026 and 2027 - again, respectively), and maybe we pay someone to take Schenn's contract off our books years later when Stenberg comes over.

Then the lines would look somewhat like this after the trade deadline (assuming everyone hits. Yes, I know it won't happen, shhh...):

Jake Neighbours - Robert Thomas - Jordan Kyrou
Pavel Buchnevich - Dalibor Dvorsky - Jimmy Snuggerud
Zachary Bolduc - Dylan Holloway - Brayden Schenn
Alexandre Texier - Zach Dean - Alexei Toropchenko

Nathan Walker, Oskar Sundqvist.

Philip Broberg - Matt Kessel
Michael Buchinger - Justin Faulk

Pierre-Olivier Joseph (if not traded)

Joel Hofer/Vadim Zherenko

That's a young group that I think could easily make the playoffs as a taste for what's to come or at least come very close - and the best part is that a lot of the money owed to the free agents will clear and we'll be able to sign our main younger RFA players next year (Hofer, Neighbours, maybe, just maybe Toropchenko, but we have Juraj Pekarcik waiting in the wings anyway), and we already have a solid amount of cap space anyway. So that's a long-term contract for Hofer and a fairly decent bridge for Neighbours.

The Oil have been a team dying for centre depth behind McDavid and Drai, and didn't project Holloway to fill that need. Even when Henrique was injuried and McLeod was struggling vs. Vancouver in the second round there was never a thought to move Holloway to centre.

You're dealing with someone with peak upside similar to Brandon Saad or Alex Killorn. A useful top 6 complementary piece? Definitely! A true #2 or even #3 centre? Magic 8 ball says not to bet on it. There's a reason why the Oil prioritized re-signing Henrique this offseason.
Though odds are he's more of a Warren Foegele middle six tweener vs. a Saad or Kilorn.

On Broberg, his playoff boxcars are a bit deceiving (specifically the +8). He looked good on the 3rd pairing with Kulak and Ceci, but him and Nurse still got leaned on and dominated from a possesion pov when he moved up (but that was a massive upgrade from the tire fire that was Nurse with Ceci or Vinny).

For comparison, both PO Joseph and Perunovich have had more NHL success and even Perunovich has been better (boxcar-wise) in the AHL.

Broberg has upside, but it's more in the smooth skating, top 4, Brain Dumoulin/Noah Hanifin/Ryan McDonagh "minute eater, but master of nothing"-type if things go well, not a true #1. But there's also still a decent chance his upside is closer to a Jusso Valimaki, Brett Kulak, Mike Reilly, PO Joseph "can play 4 top, but better served on the 3rd pair"-type. That's the risk St. Louis is taking here.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If a team is drafting late good to offer sheet a RFA. I don't know about these two because they not top players and it creates bad feelings. The money Blues paid them could got quite other assets. Not sure if it's worth future trouble. Oilers going to be gunning for them over non-top players.

But for a star player it's better to offer sheet a top player at 23 than give same money to 30 UFA. You get them all through their top years. Way more production. Could trade them near end of contract recoup what you gave up. Or trade another player they replaced. As opposed to signing a 30 year old UFA where you get them for couple good years, couple so-so years and 3 bad years where the contract is unmovable boat anchor.

Hypothetical of course, but next summer, say a team like Montreal looking for top pairing right D to play ahead of Reinbacher and Mailloux. Bouchard 24 years old, could be any other RFA. Habs have 20 million in caproom. With Price coming off in '26, Gallagher and Anderson the next summer. Their core is locked up long term reasonable. Suzuki, Guhle, Slaf, Caufield they all signed to 2030 or so. Demidov be on ELC until '28. Habs safe for future caproom to do it. Habs offer sheet Bouchard 10 million for 7 years?? They should be drafting 20s or so. Oilers hard pressed to match. Montreal give up 2 firsts, a 2nd and 3rd. Habs already have extra first with Florida pick, extra 2nd with Pitt choice. Montreal should get a 3rd at deadline for Dvorak. They got the extra picks not to miss a beat. Savard retained should fetch a future first.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If a team is drafting late good to offer sheet a RFA. I don't know about these two because they not top players and it creates bad feelings. The money Blues paid them could got quite other assets. Not sure if it's worth future trouble. Oilers going to be gunning for them over non-top players.

But for a star player it's better to offer sheet a top player at 23 than give same money to 30 UFA. You get them all through their top years. Way more production. Could trade them near end of contract recoup what you gave up. Or trade another player they replaced. As opposed to signing a 30 year old UFA where you get them for couple good years, couple so-so years and 3 bad years where the contract is unmovable boat anchor.

Hypothetical of course, but next summer, say a team like Montreal looking for top pairing right D to play ahead of Reinbacher and Mailloux. Bouchard 24 years old, could be any other RFA. Habs have 20 million in caproom. With Price coming off in '26, Gallagher and Anderson the next summer. Their core is locked up long term reasonable. Suzuki, Guhle, Slaf, Caufield they all signed to 2030 or so. Demidov be on ELC until '28. Habs safe for future caproom to do it. Habs offer sheet Bouchard 10 million for 7 years?? They should be drafting 20s or so. Oilers hard pressed to match. Montreal give up 2 firsts, a 2nd and 3rd. Habs already have extra first with Florida pick, extra 2nd with Pitt choice. Montreal should get a 3rd at deadline for Dvorak. They got the extra picks not to miss a beat. Savard retained should fetch a future first.
Problem with those offers to stars is I think the other team just matches. I mean if Bouchard has a big year then Edmonton probably doesn’t have a problem paying him $700k more than Nurse.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
This is why I don't get this from Holloway.

St.Louis doesn't have the star power EDM does, but they are deep. Buch, Kyrou, Neighbours, Saad, Joseph, Texier; which winger is Holloway knocking out of the top 9? They've also got Toropchenko and Kapanen as other wingers pushing for icetime.

Edmonton at least has the motivation to plan around him as he's a former 1st rounder and they've sunk several years into developing him. In St. Louis? He's a guy they paid a 3rd for and is spare depth.
Holloway was only getting 9 - 11 minutes of time in Edmonton and being passed over in Edmonton with the signings of Skinner and Arvidsson. It's hard to say what the internal issues were there for him to sign elsewhere.

Texier should only be a 4th liner at this point so there are only 7 guaranteed "Top 9" spots right now. Bolduc, Dean, and Snuggerud could challenge for a spot but Blues can afford to be patient with them. Faksa could be 3rd or 4th line along with Toropchenko, Walker, Kapanen, and Sundqvist.

Saad
Holloway hasn't played any center at the NHL level, and the book is still out on whether he will have the offence to play consistently in the top six. He played about half of his playoff minutes with Leon last year and his ES scoring/60 was tied for 9th on the team for forwards. Holloway had a few good games, but his production despite playing with one of the league's best centers was just ok. Similar to guys like Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and Foegele. Expecting the Blues to be a playoff contender with him as the second line center seems pretty optimistic. He has good size and motor so I think he'll for sure be a lock as a bottom six player, but he still needs work on positioning and puck management, and his offence might end up coming up short.

I'm not sure what you saw Broberg do in the playoffs, but he was solidly a third pair guy in terms of usage. He had some Zadorov effect. Oilers shot 13% with him on the ice, and his personal shooting percentage was 33%. He did not look like an all situations number 1 guy to me. I think he can become a top four guy, but would expect some growing pains this year for sure if he is thrust into that role full time. . He has some of the same issues as Nurse. Outstanding physical tools but has occasional erratic decision making.
Holloway played 6 games at C in the NHL last year and 15/18 games in the AHL at Center.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Montreal would give up four 1st round picks for Bouchard in your example here of $10m x 7 years.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Is there any chance a different team would pay the same pick compensation or higher in a trade for one of these guys? If Edmonton can't afford the caps pace to match the offer sheets they can still just match and then instantly trade one of the players.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Maybe Utah can be paid enough to take Nurse and send us that Weber LTIR or Pittsburgh Nurse + pick for Graves? Just throwing this out into the Universe to see what happens....

Last edited:

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Yes. I do.

Rising tides elevate all ships.
Well sorry but these kids were barely getting playing time. Edm foolishly spent their cap on free agents then expect them to gwt peanuts nope. Armstrong gave gops contracts and they will be getting 15 20 mins of playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad