Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is there any chance a different team would pay the same pick compensation or higher in a trade for one of these guys? If Edmonton can't afford the caps pace to match the offer sheets they can still just match and then instantly trade one of the players.
No. The Oilers would have to keep him for a year.

The question I'm really curious about is if the Oilers could trade him now. I assume also no, like the one year starts when the offer sheet is signed

Reactions: banks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe Utah can be paid enough to take Nurse and send us that Weber LTIR

Just throwing this out into the Universe to see what happens....
No no no
We need to stop fantasizing about moving Nurse. He has a full NMC. He's best friends with the core players

Imo make the space with our expensive spare parts. Kulak, Ceci. Play with fewer skaters. Make the Kane LTIR drag on

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Playoffs got them overpaid
I was talking about Broberg benefiting by the Oilers winning and advancing in the playoffs without him on the ice, totally different. Also I think Zadorov had a great playoff and increased his value, Lindholm I cant say the same for, also they only won one playoff series, so winning didnt get either of them paid.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Holloway was only getting 9 - 11 minutes of time in Edmonton and being passed over in Edmonton with the signings of Skinner and Arvidsson. It's hard to say what the internal issues were there for him to sign elsewhere.
$2.6 million dollars more over two years is a pretty good reason. He already missed almost an entire year of hockey due to a wrist injury, and had to have two surgeries to get healed enough to play again. He probably understands that a long NHL career isn't promised to him.
Holloway played 6 games at C in the NHL last year and 15/18 games in the AHL at Center.
Yeah. He hasn't been an NHL center, and mostly not in the AHL either. I don't specifically recall the games he was listed as center for the Oilers, but I suspect he was just taking center shifts on the fly. He only had 47 faceoffs in 38 games compared to Hamblin's 160 in 31 games averaging 8 minutes per night.

Holloway did play center in college, but the NHL is a different beast. Second line center on any team this season seems like a pretty giant leap of faith.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Is there any chance a different team would pay the same pick compensation or higher in a trade for one of these guys? If Edmonton can't afford the caps pace to match the offer sheets they can still just match and then instantly trade one of the players.
If a team matches an offer sheet, they can't trade that player for a calendar year. Oilers could match and trade someone else to get under the cap if that is what they think is the best move.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Problem with those offers to stars is I think the other team just matches. I mean if Bouchard has a big year then Edmonton probably doesn’t have a problem paying him $700k more than Nurse.
Teams generally sign their top tier RFAs before their last year of contract expires anyway.

They tend to just wait on RFAS without arb rights because they gain negotiating power the closer to camp it gets.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Well sorry but these kids were barely getting playing time. Edm foolishly spent their cap on free agents then expect them to gwt peanuts nope. Armstrong gave gops contracts and they will be getting 15 20 mins of playing time.
Armstrong will look pretty foolish if he gives them playing time regardless of results. Other players might not mind if Klefbom is $3 million overpaid, but they won't be happy at all if he's getting 20 minutes per night and not earning it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

You cannot trade an offer sheeted player for 1 year if you match. They can stomach it for this year and trade him next year when they need the money for Drai and Bouchard.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Desharnais is a rarity, usually by age 25 if you're still in the AHL, that's curtains for you, to score a multi-year garunteed NHL contract ... I doubt that would happen unless he was on a high profile team like the Oilers.

Broberg .. this dude has played like maybe 10 good NHL games in his career and was floundering in the AHL just a few months ago, lol. Gets a 2 year $4+ million contract based on that.

Then there's Ryan McLeod who returned the Oilers a guy who was a top 10 draft pick.

There definitely is an inflationary effect going on here.

If a team is drafting late good to offer sheet a RFA. I don't know about these two because they not top players and it creates bad feelings. The money Blues paid them could got quite other assets. Not sure if it's worth future trouble. Oilers going to be gunning for them over non-top players.

But for a star player it's better to offer sheet a top player at 23 than give same money to 30 UFA. You get them all through their top years. Way more production. Could trade them near end of contract recoup what you gave up. Or trade another player they replaced. As opposed to signing a 30 year old UFA where you get them for couple good years, couple so-so years and 3 bad years where the contract is unmovable boat anchor.

Hypothetical of course, but next summer, say a team like Montreal looking for top pairing right D to play ahead of Reinbacher and Mailloux. Bouchard 24 years old, could be any other RFA. Habs have 20 million in caproom. With Price coming off in '26, Gallagher and Anderson the next summer. Their core is locked up long term reasonable. Suzuki, Guhle, Slaf, Caufield they all signed to 2030 or so. Demidov be on ELC until '28. Habs safe for future caproom to do it. Habs offer sheet Bouchard 10 million for 7 years?? They should be drafting 20s or so. Oilers hard pressed to match. Montreal give up 2 firsts, a 2nd and 3rd. Habs already have extra first with Florida pick, extra 2nd with Pitt choice. Montreal should get a 3rd at deadline for Dvorak. They got the extra picks not to miss a beat. Savard retained should fetch a future first.
If OS contract is more than 5 years, you divide total comp by 5, so turns into a $14m AAV and that's 4 1st round DPs in compensation. Add in a $10m cap hit isn’t enough of premium to make the Oil not match IMO. That might actually be a discount..

If OS matched can't trade a player for 1 year.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
$2.6 million dollars more over two years is a pretty good reason. He already missed almost an entire year of hockey due to a wrist injury, and had to have two surgeries to get healed enough to play again. He probably understands that a long NHL career isn't promised to him.

Yeah. He hasn't been an NHL center, and mostly not in the AHL either. I don't specifically recall the games he was listed as center for the Oilers, but I suspect he was just taking center shifts on the fly. He only had 47 faceoffs in 38 games compared to Hamblin's 160 in 31 games averaging 8 minutes per night.

Holloway did play center in college, but the NHL is a different beast. Second line center on any team this season seems like a pretty giant leap of faith.
According to lineups on their Twitter, he was playing center for Bakersfield this season. Maybe that factored into his decision, if the Blues offered him a shot at the 3rd line center role. I'd agree anyone slotting him in for a 2nd line center role is just setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I think they can’t be traded for one year after the offer sheet? Could be wrong on that

Edit: lol I see this has been addressed

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Desharnais is a rarity, usually by age 25 if you're still in the AHL, that's curtains for you, to score a multi-year garunteed NHL contract ... I doubt that would happen unless he was on a high profile team like the Oilers.

Broberg .. this dude has played like maybe 10 good NHL games in his career and was floundering in the AHL just a few months ago, lol. Gets a 2 year $4+ million contract based on that.

Then there's Ryan McLeod who returned the Oilers a guy who was a top 10 draft pick.

There definitely is an inflationary effect going on here.

Desharnais is just a bottom-pairing FA defenseman, not sure what's different there. Broberg is sort of the prototype offer-sheet candidate ... he's young, has draft pedigree, and plays a premium position ... these are the types of guys teams bank on upside with offer sheets typically at around that age. His playoffs obviously helped, but he's at the age that someone will bet on the upside if they can get the asset on their terms.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009

OK, sorry to be pedantic but my OCD can't take this chart anymore.

There, I fixed it.
Cap Friendly.jpg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hypothetical of course, but next summer, say a team like Montreal looking for top pairing right D to play ahead of Reinbacher and Mailloux. Bouchard 24 years old, could be any other RFA. Habs have 20 million in caproom. With Price coming off in '26, Gallagher and Anderson the next summer. Their core is locked up long term reasonable. Suzuki, Guhle, Slaf, Caufield they all signed to 2030 or so. Demidov be on ELC until '28. Habs safe for future caproom to do it. Habs offer sheet Bouchard 10 million for 7 years?? They should be drafting 20s or so. Oilers hard pressed to match. Montreal give up 2 firsts, a 2nd and 3rd. Habs already have extra first with Florida pick, extra 2nd with Pitt choice. Montreal should get a 3rd at deadline for Dvorak. They got the extra picks not to miss a beat. Savard retained should fetch a future first.
$10.7 mill give or take is the number that nets 4 first rounders. $8.6 to $10.7 is 2 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd.

Either way, it would then be the 26 and 27 drafts at least. In which 26 is the McKenna draft.

So, you're putting the cart way before the horse here for the Habs. They need to show that they can get out of the bottom 5 of the NHL standings, and even the bottom 11 in 24/25.
Plus, ask which of TB, Fla, Bos, Tor that made the PO will Montreal beat out, as well as Buf, Det, Ott as well in 25/26? Metro division has NYR, NJ, Car with NYI along with aging Pit/Was, and rebuilding Phi and unknown what Waddell will do with CBS over these next 2 seasons.

So, this 24/25 season will go a long ways in showing where the Habs are.

Plus, be wary as Mon has a bunch of young D prospects that would look at the Bouchard deal and want to get paid, or be potentially poached if cap space isn't available to prevent an OS their way.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
No matter what happens, Armstrong will still need to make some more moves. Blues are currently at 51 contracts (max 50) so will need to move at least one out (three if EDM doesn't match the offer sheets).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad