Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Personally winning a Stanley Cup would be worth every cent to me. Not everybody will agree with that and that's fine, but championships are immortal.
1723580280383.gif

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I would assume so. At least on the potential they both have. If I recall, St. Louis isn't strong on defense, especially with Krug out all season. So betting on a young defenseman like Broberg for a second is an easy win. If he works out, that's an absolute steal. If he doesn't, oh well, it's only a middle range second.

A third for Holloway is nothing. Although, I'd be surprised if Edmonton didn't match that offer sheet.

Oiler fans this is hockey no hard feelings. If you paired bronerg with parayko or a healthy faulk or even mathew kessel he will have a stable partner. If he grows then parayko i think would be the guy we put him with since parayko is defense first

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
I still think it's weird how Armstrong has been an almost perfect GM, yet he insisted on slamming their window of contention shut by doing everything in his power to dump Pietrangelo. That'll always be a black mark on an otherwise great tenure
lol cute people still think pietrangelo wanted to re-sign with the Blues. it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Great, they don't want to be here then we shouldn't want them here simple as that.
I want them both here to be honest. Those two along with healthy faulk and neighbors bolduc with addition of our of season signings is gonna make blues a dark horse

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Matching Broberg is a big risk. He is not worth that contract and if he does not show much improvement you are stuck badly overpaying him 4.5m for 2 seasons. He will have no trade value, and you will end up losing him for nothing when you don't qualify him as an RFA in 2 seasons anyway. Might not be worth it for a team trying to win to take that risk.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Nurse, Ceci, Campbell, Brown, Kane... all contracts that Holloway has seen get signed thatre now hurting the Oilers. That's far more impactful than the one or two guys who signed at discounts. If I'm Holloway I'm looking at those overpayments and wanting to secure my bag too, especially when $2.85 is a fair contract.

It's also a helluva lot easier for guys like Skinner and Perry to take discounts when they've each made $50m+ in their careers.

And Holloway has opted to contribute to the problem of overpaying players relative to their actual performance. He's also sacrificing future income by actively choosing to play with Robert Thomas over Connor McDavid. Broberg is a lot more understandable- that's an insane overpay- but Holloway has thrown away a very straight forward path to both personal and professional success with this move. It could easily go down as an all-time NHL bag fumble, especially if the Oilers win it all this year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Maybe a way of GMs showing they dont respect Bowman ? 🤷‍♂️
Nah no one in the league cares about Bowman. If anything they would view it as a plus since someone can ultimately f*** the whole thing up and still get a job at the end. No idea why people think the OBC that runs the NHL would dislike Bowman, the poster boy for nepotism and mediocre retread.

This is just a team with space to burn trying to pick up some players they've identified as having growth potential, for the cost of expiring cap. No idea why theyre betting more heavily on Broberg. Dudes closest comparable is like Jamie Drysdale who's shown considerably better in his 60 extra games at this level and signed for half the price and one extra year. Lmao.

The only downside I see to this as an Oiler fan is the risk that the Oilers will Oiler by not being able to walk away from a substandard defenseman because hes moderately tall and skates well. Take the 2nd and run every single day of the week. This is a player that couldn't beat out VD for a spot despite VD having some of the most sheltered minutes in the league.

Holloway isn't quite 2.8, but at least he's not coming in at some insane 2x+ his intrinsic value, so you can at least justify it. Someone needs to get fired if we match this Broberg contract.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And I know Edmonton fans are upset about it and that's why some are saying we'll offersheet Neighbours next summer as retaliation. With what cap though, they have Draisaitl and Bouchard extensions to worry about. If Draisaitl walks, then they can do it, but they have bigger issues in that scenario.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Never understood why more teams dont do this and why this is such a high level of discourse among the fans and NHL circles.

Some NHL "codes" makes no sense. This is an actual thing the NHL cap sheet allows. Like why not use it.

In no other sports league, would this matter

Reactions: Hansman

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
And Holloway has opted to contribute to the problem of overpaying players relative to their actual performance. He's also sacrificing future income by actively choosing to play with Robert Thomas over Connor McDavid. Broberg is a lot more understandable- that's an insane overpay- but Holloway has thrown away a very straight forward path to both personal and professional success with this move. It could easily go down as an all-time NHL bag fumble, especially if the Oilers win it all this year.
I disagree that he’s thrown away a straightforward path to personal and professional success. The Oilers have about a 20% chance at a cup realistically. What he’s done is sign an offer that he feels gives him a chance for both those things plus some financial security and also allows the Oilers to match if they have faith in him.

Reactions: JKG33

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Broberg was an 8th defenseman most of the season playing in the AHL was he good in the playoffs yes he was but he also had fresh legs against battle-fatigued teams is he worth 4.6 million nope. The Oilers can use that 2nd at the trade deadline for a much better dman for a playoff run, cut ties. Holloway is ready to break out that could be a bargain contract, that one will be matched

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I disagree that he’s thrown away a straightforward path to personal and professional success. The Oilers have about a 20% chance at a cup realistically. What he’s done is sign an offer that he feels gives him a chance for both those things plus some financial security and also allows the Oilers to match if they have faith in him.

But it doesn't, not really. No rational person could or would believe there's more points and thus dollar bills to be had lining up next to Thomas or Schenn vs. McDrai, and no rational person is choosing St. Louis over Edmonton as a Cup favorite the next two years.

It's a numbingly ignorant miscalculation on his and his agent's part, and I hope it blows up in both of their faces.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ha!! Pretty sure they tendered offer sheets to thise two Edmonton players as a F you to the team for hiring that bum Bowman.

If Biwman wasn't the GM thise offer sheets wouldn't have been tendered.

I love it!
Lol if you think that or a gm thinks that then you are an idiot. You don’t make moves like the broberg one just to give fu.

Reactions: Dakine and JKG33

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
But it doesn't, not really. No rational person could or would believe there's more points and thus dollar bills to be had lining up next to Thomas or Schenn vs. McDrai, and no rational person is choosing St. Louis over Edmonton as a Cup favorite the next two years.

It's a numbingly ignorant miscalculation on his and his agent's part, and I hope it blows up in both of their faces.
Again I disagree. It’s a shrewd move on his agents part to get that kind of money. If Edmonton doesn’t match he goes to a solid organization that clearly wants him. If the Oilers match he gets to stay on the team and he gets a vote of confidence from management who see him as a valuable player.
While I think Edmonton having a better shot at the cup is a legitimate point it’s still not greater than 20% or so. Most young players would jump at this offer. An incredibly smart move on his part.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Broberg was an 8th defenseman most of the season playing in the AHL was he good in the playoffs yes he was but he also had fresh legs against battle-fatigued teams is he worth 4.6 million nope. The Oilers can use that 2nd at the trade deadline for a much better dman for a playoff run, cut ties. Holloway is ready to break out that could be a bargain contract, that one will be matched

Agree

I've always been high on Broberg. I liked the pick at the time. I liked how raw he was and how much growth there could be. I like what he's done in the minors. And I do think he has some room to grow into a top guy in the NHL.

But we simply can't match him at 4.5 right now. Can't be done.. won't be done.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
As an Oilers fan I'm glad they did this . It's smart and it's in the rules it should be done more

I say toss Holloway and match bro tho

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
When the average career for players is maybe around 5 years, you can't pass up the chance to make hay while the sun shines.

You could reasonably argue a star signing a 2nd big deal could/should take less "for the good of the team", but I can't fathom holding it against a young player taking likely 2x the money they would get otherwise. It is possible one or neither of these kids gets a bigger deal than this in 2 years. whether they stay or go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad