Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The market rate is what someone else is willing to pay, so these actually are their market rates.
Not really. I doubt there is a second team out there willing to pay 4.5 mil for Broberg.

Yes. Someone did pay him that price. But this an outlier. This is a one time thing that won’t set a market price that D with 89 games are worth 4.5.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Just walk from them. Holloway has an immediate replacement in savoie in the minors.
Maybe. But Savoie is 5'9, weights 175 pounds and has 6 whole AHL games under his belt. He's 20. That isn't the right profile for a bottom six guy and it's defintely not the right profile for a bottom six guy in the playoffs when hitting goes way up and refs stop calling penalites that help skilled, slippery players like him in the regular season.

Holloway has playoff size and speed to play in the middle six. PK and the like. The Oilers depth players were really impressive in the playoffs. Guys like Foegele that were all over the forecheck and board battles. Holloway fits that profile way better than Savoie, who is more of your 2nd liner (when he's developed, which he isn't).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They can do what they want, it doesn't change the fact they have harmed their teammates and I don't want them back.

For one year to win a cup I absolutely would, especially when the difference is 2m instead on 1 for a year or 4m instead of 2. At some point you have to realize this is bigger than money, and if money is all they want they can get lost.
You are talking about literally 100% increase on their salaries. These aren't guys with 100+ million in career earnings. This is "set myself up for life" money.

Get your bags dudes.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
AS an Oiler fan I will toss out a conspiracy out there

1) This is the NHL old boys club doing it due to how the OIlers handled the HOlland situation
2) Bowman signing
I can guarantee you if anything the old boys club would be thrilled Bowman got a job. They're likely pissed at how the situation went down.

Point 1 could make sense but even that I doubt. This is about trying to cripple a "contender" and acquire two good players

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Maybe. But Savoie is 5'9, weights 175 pounds and has 6 whole AHL games under his belt. He's 20. That isn't the right profile for a bottom six guy and it's defintely not the right profile for a bottom six guy in the playoffs when hitting goes way up and refs stop calling penalites that help skilled, slippery players like him in the regular season.

Holloway has playoff size and speed to play in the middle six. PK and the like. The Oilers depth players were really impressive in the playoffs. Guys like Foegele that were all over the forecheck and board battles. Holloway fits that profile way better than Savoie, who is more of your 2nd liner (when he's developed, which he isn't).
I guess we will see right?

Holloway wasn’t that impressive and got hurt easily and lot.

It’s funny to see people praising these players now when everyone thought they were junk on the oilers.

Neither players showed they were game breakers.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Holloway will get matched, Broberg won't. 4.5m for a guy that had a tiny glimpse of being a middle pair dman is crazy. STL desperate to make sure they fight for 8th I guess, congrats.

It’s funny to see people praising these players now when everyone thought they were junk on the oilers.

Holloway showed plenty of gamebreaking moments in the playoffs. He also has versatility to play wing or centre. You don't lose 1st round picks coming into their own to offer sheets. Horrible asset management.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
If the team was counting on bringing the band back together, maybe they shouldn't have signed Jeff Skinner and Victor Arvidsson to a combined $7M?
I certainly wouldn't have forecasted Broberg making 4.5 million this year in a bring them back scenario.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They can do what they want, it doesn't change the fact they have harmed their teammates and I don't want them back.

For one year to win a cup I absolutely would, especially when the difference is 2m instead on 1 for a year or 4m instead of 2. At some point you have to realize this is bigger than money, and if money is all they want they can get lost.
Should Draisatl take a one year deal at well below what he could make?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

And on the other side, it’s funny to see some Oiler fans call them junk when both players were being praised and pencilled into key roles next year and in the future.

Realistically I think it’s fair to say that both players showed some upside but especially for Broberg we needed a bigger sample size. That said, if St. Louis gets both for a second and third I think that’s a decent gamble even taking into account the excessive cap hit for 2 years.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
AS an Oiler fan I will toss out a conspiracy out there

1) This is the NHL old boys club doing it due to how the OIlers handled the HOlland situation
2) Bowman signing
Holland was done dirty for sure. Not re signing him was the right move though. But bringing Jackson in to oversee him and report to the owner was a little disrespectful.

Bowman. Well. You won’t find much sympathy for his hiring here from me

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I can guarantee you if anything the old boys club would be thrilled Bowman got a job. They're likely pissed at how the situation went down.

Point 1 could make sense but even that I doubt. This is about trying to cripple a "contender" and acquire two good players
Not buying any conspiracies, but offer sheeting two complementary players (granted, with upside) doesn’t cripple a contender though.

The core that carried the team to the finals remains intact (assuming Drai resigns).

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I'm not praising anyone. I'm just saying Holloway profiles better for the middle six/3rd line role he was in than Savoie will next season.

I watched every Oiler playoff game and Holloway flashed a solid amount and his size/speed and forecheck were noticeable. He's not all that skilled, but you'd see his movement and puck handling abilities at times. He's pretty brave with where he takes the puck. And he does bring a few elements to playoff games that are playoff ready. He's 6'1 and 205 lbs. He's a different player than Savoie. And you're depth forwards were quite good in the playoffs IMO. Foegele was great. Brown played well, Holloway was solid. Janmark was awesome.

Savoie isn't one of those types of players at all. But those guys were well suited for the playoff hockey they just played at a high level.

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Every guy in that room knew how close they were to a cup, anyone jeopardizing that goal should be axed from the team IMO. I would take the picks for both of them, they signed those with complete awareness of how this hurts the chances of their teammates.
I mean if I'm Holloway and the leaders on this team are giving me shit, all I have to do is stare blankly in Nurses direction.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
They'll accept on Holloway and let Broberg go, which I think is the right call.

Broberg is just Edmonton's version of Holtz, top 10 pick, looks good in the minors, but mostly looks like hot garbage in the NHL. Maybe he puts it together and carves out a real NHL future, but I don't think Edmonton should be paying that much to find out with their current team makeup.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Hoping edmontons lets them both walk, compensation is low but both are fringe nhl players, not what cup contenders want

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I've seen a ton of people refer to Savoie as a Holloway replacement, but Savoie is a very different player, and one that might need some AHL time due to his size. I don't think Savoie is tagged for the same role as Holloway either.
Not only that but some of our contingent have been penciling Holloway in as some cheap replacement for a couple years now and it only really just happened.

People banking on prospects to just step in and replace NHL roster players are out to lunch imo. Especially Oiler fans. They should know better.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Tampa just let Stamkos walk after 16 seasons despite a PPG+ season.

If it's a business for the teams, it's a business for the players too. And that's fine.
you and I don't sit in those locker rooms. It is a business but the Oilers needed each of these guys to sign one year deals on the low and they both did the exact opposite.

To assume this won't have repercussions in that organization is.. IMO... unrealistic.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Not buying any conspiracies, but offer sheeting two complementary players (granted, with upside) doesn’t cripple a contender though.

The core that carried the team to the finals remains intact (assuming Drai resigns).
Yea the core is intact for now, but a team that already has a thin prospect/pick pool losing two recent 1st rd picks is a big blow. That defense was already atrocious with Broberg expected to take on a bigger role. Holloway hurts too, especially when he plays a playoff style and Skinner certainly doesn't

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
I mean if I'm Holloway and the leaders on this team are giving me shit, all I have to do is stare blankly in Nurses direction.
Nurse needs to play better, I am one of his biggest supporters and for no reason he should have fallen off a cliff since his contract was signed. Ive seen Nurse play dependable hockey, I just hope he is able to figure out how to do it again or for the good of the team he will have to be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad