Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Only thing I hate about this is that Broberg was very steady in the playoffs.
He had a weird calming presence and looking at it now, he wasn't a minus player in any game in the playoffs.

Shitty, but that's on our shitty management.

I f***ing hope so.
So thats 5mil where is the other2.5

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Lets try this say you sign both are 7.3 over cap tell me how to fix this who to trade. Cause kane isnt on ltir
Evander Kane
Kane has been dealing with a hip issue but there has not yet been a decision on whether or not he'll need surgery, Jason Gregor of Sports 1440 Edmonton reports.

Sooooooo shoot
I clearly said that if St. Louis had only offersheeted ONE of them instead of both that Edmonton would have easily matched. They won't get both, at least I don't think so, and I think they know that.

And yes, Kane is having surgery. It's 100% happening.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lets try this say you sign both are 7.3 over cap tell me how to fix this who to trade. Cause kane isnt on ltir
Evander Kane
Kane has been dealing with a hip issue but there has not yet been a decision on whether or not he'll need surgery, Jason Gregor of Sports 1440 Edmonton reports.

Sooooooo shoot
If Kane can go on LTIR before the season starts, it brings the Oilers pretty close. Just over 1M if they send down J. Brown. But that still leaves a trade necessary between now and the regular season starting.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
These are roughly the figures I was expecting. The move was to trade Cody Ceci early in the offseason for a draft pick and split that money between Broberg/Holloway without much fuss.

Yeah, it's mismanagement, EDM thought they were going to squeeze the RFA pair, bail themselves out with a Kane LTIR and kick the can down the road midseason?
Ceci is a big RHD that has playoff experience on a one year deal. Oilers should probably put him on waivers right now and watch him get claimed. he would. A smart team with cap space would realize they can trade him at 50% retained for... say a 2nd or 3rd round pick in Feb 2025.

Frees up his AAV tomorrow. You guys have no leverage to trade him this week and get much if anything. So waive him.

That said... Ceci played pretty well for the Oilers in the playoffs. Losing him is a lot like losing Broberg. It fills one hole, but creates another of the same size. At RHD no less so a hard one to backfill. Losing a Kulak isn't without consequence either.

St Louis put y'all in a bind.

That pass Ceci made in game 7 vs the Panthers was an amazing play. Losing him doesn't make the Oilers better based on what y'all have behind him or on the farm. And you'd still need to make other roster moves too.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Has there ever been an instance where a team purposefully offer sheets a ridiculous amount to their rivals best player?
Just for shits and giggles? Probably not.

People have to realize, that "offer sheet" and "tendering an offer sheet to a player" are a bit misleading. Some people look at it like a contract offer. No, this is an actual signed contract. One of the teams is on hook for it, and the player is tied to it. So you need to be ready to go through with it, both regarding the actual contract and the compensation to the other team.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
No idea. This is Bowman's job not mine :laugh:
Yeah not a fun situation for bowman to step into. I hear other gms have angst against him not sure why but if true cant help. Plus noone is foinf to help edm out of this poor playinf its gonna hurt a bit

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Ceci is a big RHD that has playoff experience on a one year deal. Oilers should probably put him on waivers right now and watch him get claimed. he would. A smart team with cap space would realize they can trade him at 50% retained for... say a 2nd or 3rd round pick in Feb 2025.

Frees up his AAV tomorrow. You guys have no leverage to trade him this week and get much if anything. So waive him.

That said... Ceci played pretty well for the Oilers in the playoffs. Losing him is a lot like losing Broberg. It fills one hole, but creates another of the same size. At RHD no less so a hard one to backfill. Losing a Kulak isn't without consequence either.

St Louis put y'all in a bind.

That pass Ceci made in game 7 vs the Panthers was an amazing play. Losing him doesn't make the Oilers better based on what y'all have behind him or on the farm. And you'd still need to make other roster moves too.
Ceci is clutch Mr. Game 7, but it also shows a lot about his ability and what the coach thinks of him when they demote him to the third pairing and put Broberg, who had barely any NHL experience, and was playing on his off side, over both Ceci and Kulak.

I'm of the position that if it's Broberg or Ceci you take Broberg all day. I don't think that is a controversial opinion. Ceci and Nurse cost us Game 1 of the cup final and nearly cost us the Vancouver series as well.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Just for shits and giggles? Probably not.

People have to realize, that "offer sheet" and "tendering an offer sheet to a player" are a bit misleading. Some people look at it like a contract offer. No, this is an actual signed contract. One of the teams is on hook for it, and the player is tied to it. So you need to be ready to go through with it, both regarding the actual contract and the compensation to the other team.
Yes blues retaliated vancouver when they targeted david backes. But armstrong always locks up his rfas before this can happen. Larry pleu was the one caught slipping on backes

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Name those pieces that get you 7mil i am interested in your opinion
You've posted this so many times, and I've responded a number of times as well. This is the last time.

Kane LTIR - 5.125M
J. Brown Minors - 1M
Roster player trade - Cody Ceci or Brett Kulak are the likely candidates, most fans would prefer Ceci. This would bring them 2.75M - 3.25M
TOTAL - 8.875M - 9.375M

It leaves us with the issue of how to fit Kane after he is ready to come off LTIR, but it would make us compliant with a full roster.

I don't expect we match Broberg's deal, and if we don't, we will be 2,644,624 over the salary cap. We can get under by putting Kane on LTIR.

Reactions: dukeofjive

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Had no clue that happened as I wasn't even alive lol
other teams' GMs like Harry Sinden of the Bruins who bootlicked rich owners were apoplectic that the Blues were trying to use free agency rules that were written with no intention of being used

between Curt Flood and the Blues, St Louis fans have seen a lot of challenge to the power balance between owners and players in professional sports that has benefitted sports fans in general

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think other GMs will make a Ceci or Kulak trade easy on Edmonton. How many picks are they will to give up in cap dump trades? It's not a comfortable spot for them to be in.

Reactions: Robtom18

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Oil cap problems solved...

1) Buyout Mr. Nurse. (look at those savings the next 2 years.)

ffsIBK1.png

2) Using all the power and leverage that is the Hockey Mecca of Edmonton, and Connor Mcdavid, lobby the league to bring back Amnesty Buyouts.

3) Get Uncle Gary to allow retroactive enforcement amnesty buyout on Nurse.

What teams are looking to hire a GM :naughty: ?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oil cap problems solved...

1) Buyout Mr. Nurse. (look at those savings the next 2 years.)

ffsIBK1.png

2) Using all the power and leverage that is the Hockey Mecca of Edmonton, and Connor Mcdavid, lobby the league to bring back Amnesty Buyouts.

3) Get Uncle Gary to allow retroactive enforcement amnesty buyout on Nurse.

What teams are looking to hire a GM :naughty: ?
This is actually interesting. Friedman mentioned on the podcast that the Blues wanted to wait to make the offer sheets official until Edmonton couldn't do anything in arbitration, which would've triggered another buyout window for them, making it easier to free up cap space.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It seems kind of easy for Pitts to return the picks back to St. Louis
I mean we had to give them a 3rd for a 5th to do it. And they are in the East, so it's not like these moves have much impact on them. Teams will make the move with proper incentive, but I imagine dumping Kulak or Ceci will be a tad more expensive than a normal cap dump.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
These are roughly the figures I was expecting. The move was to trade Cody Ceci early in the offseason for a draft pick and split that money between Broberg/Holloway without much fuss.

Yeah, it's mismanagement, EDM thought they were going to squeeze the RFA pair, bail themselves out with a Kane LTIR and kick the can down the road midseason?

Yes agreed. Edmonton probably also felt keeping the RD was important. Cap space also cleared up and perhaps a trade with getting a draft pick back just couldn't happen.

Why grab Ceci for a draft pick when you can grab a ufa and pay them the same as Ceci.

You've posted this so many times, and I've responded a number of times as well. This is the last time.

Kane LTIR - 5.125M
J. Brown Minors - 1M
Roster player trade - Cody Ceci or Brett Kulak are the likely candidates, most fans would prefer Ceci. This would bring them 2.75M - 3.25M
TOTAL - 8.875M - 9.375M

It leaves us with the issue of how to fit Kane after he is ready to come off LTIR, but it would make us compliant with a full roster.

I don't expect we match Broberg's deal, and if we don't, we will be 2,644,624 over the salary cap. We can get under by putting Kane on LTIR.

I think that's the thing. The urgency once Kane gets back. Hard to do it early in the season versus February.

I don't think other GMs will make a Ceci or Kulak trade easy on Edmonton. How many picks are they will to give up in cap dump trades? It's not a comfortable spot for them to be in.

I think the real tough challenge is Edmonton is seen as a top 8 top 4 team so that 2nd rounder will be really late.

Does a team ask for a 2nd and 4th? We saw Sean Monohan 1 year get given away for a first when Calgary was over the cap.

Does Edmonton try and do a ceci + for something.

They got that player from Buffalo. Do they try to get draft capital and give up on that player. Really tough pickle they are in.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think you can assume they will have to add picks to either of these players. They are both good players, with reasonable salaries (look at Matt Dumba's new deal if you want to see what RD are making), for short term. These players are ones that under normal circumstances would get a good return. It isn't normal circumstances, so of course other GM's will be looking for a good deal, but I don't think that automatically means the Oilers will have to pay to move one of them. They'll likely get less in return than normal, but that doesn't instantly make it a negative value trade. It's still possible of course, but not a foregone conclusion.

Reactions: wetcoast

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I mean we had to give them a 3rd for a 5th to do it. And they are in the East, so it's not like these moves have much impact on them. Teams will make the move with proper incentive, but I imagine dumping Kulak or Ceci will be a tad more expensive than a normal cap dump.
2 veterans D in Kulak and Ceci that played the stanley cup finals. 2 goals away from the cup. You know what cap casualty McLeod went for?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

There is a very small shot that someone might take Ceci for nothing. RHD are hard to find, and he is a pending UFA.

With that said, I don't think it is likely.

I could see the scenario being that there was legitimate interest in Ceci earlier in the offseason when teams still had cap flexibility, but now the market could have shifted because there is so little legitimate cap and Edmonton cannot take back money.

If I am Utah and I want to get Weber's LTIR contract off the books to avoid that complication, I would call up Edmonton and propose Weber for Ceci and a small plus, then I would either keep Ceci or flip him with retention for an asset.

It's going to take a perfect storm to dump Ceci for free. Something like a 3-way deal, where a team will give up a decent asset for Ceci half-retained, and the middle man who retains takes that asset instead of Edmonton.

Something like: Edmonton trades Ceci+5th to Utah, Utah trades Ceci @ 1.625 to Ottawa for warm body+3rd. That would be very similar cap wise to the Glass trade. Glass does cost a few hundred K more in cap and real dollars than Ceci, but he is also taking up a roster spot that they would spend 800k on regardless, where as Ceci wouldn't take up a roster spot for the third party team, so it's effectively the same amount of money.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
What I'd do as the Oilers:
1. Match both guys.
2. Trade Kulak before the season starts
3. Trade Holloway when Kane comes back (pump up his value by playing him top 2 lines until then).
dont think you can trade a matched guy for one year after.
and who's going to help them out with taking Kulak? will undoubtably be worse value than just taking the compensation
Blues played this well - for those saying it's an overpay, of course it is, that's the point of an offer sheet, otherwise it's an easy match. It's like getting two firsts that are almost ripe for a 2nd and a 3rd; a little overpay is well worth it. Sucks for the Oil but their GM laid the groundwork for this to happen...

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Ceci is clutch Mr. Game 7, but it also shows a lot about his ability and what the coach thinks of him when they demote him to the third pairing and put Broberg, who had barely any NHL experience, and was playing on his off side, over both Ceci and Kulak.
For a few games yes.

Game 7 Ceci was 3rd in ice time, Broberg 6th.
Game 6 Ceci was 3rd, Broberg 5th (by a second)
Game 5 Ceci was 4th, Broberg 5th
Game 4 Ceci was 4th, Broberg 5th.

Games 1/2/3 Broberg played more. Of course they also lost those 3 games.

So it hardly looks like a demotion when he played more then Broberg in 4 games, especially when Edmonton had all their success with Broberg playing 3rd pairing minutes behind Ceci.

Reactions: HockeyScotty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad