Prospect Info: Stian Solberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I agree with the first part, but not the timeline. I see Solberg pushing for a spot by next season.

I can see Verbeek rushing Solberg, but that doesn't mean Solberg should be pushing for a spot next season. Sure, he's aggressive and loves to hit, but what about his overall defense? Solberg's defensive play in the men's Norwegian league makes me believe there's a long ways to go for his defensive game to be at NHL level. I'd also like to see Solberg's offense be developed in the next few seasons because that will increase his talent level. If we rush him, then we're continuing on stifling that potential offense he might have; which is what has happened to Solberg since turned 16 as he was rushed to the men's league.

Carlsson was rushed to the NHL and that wasn't a great thing to do for Carlsson's development. Orebro developed Carlsson into the #2 draft pick as a winger and was set to develop Carlsson as it's 1C last year. I trust Orebro's development program over our program. Our coaching staff got Carlsson injured a couple of times. Carlsson played 55 games for the Ducks. The SHL plays 56 regular season games and Orebro was a playoff participant this past year. Carlsson would have been far more dynamic of a center with Orebro than being stifled under Cronin's offense.

Brock Faber was a shutdown guy with some offense in the US NTDP. He looked great in his D+1 as a rookie in the NCAA. Faber could have gone to the NHL after his D+1 season, but stayed for two more seasons. In his D+3 season, that offense improved 0.44 ppg in D+2 to 0.71 ppg in D+3. In his D+4, Faber was on Minny's top pairing and top scoring defensemen as a rookie. That's how a prospect should be overcooked.

Solberg isn't anywhere near close to Lindholm's defense at their respective draft years. If we let Solberg properly develop over time, then maybe Solberg can get to or close to Lindholm's defensive talent. We currently don't have a top-pairing D. Anaheim has a plethora of LD's that they can take their time with Solberg. I love big hits, but I love controlling the play and big hits more. And if he can develop offense during that time, then even better.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I believe the Ducks want him over here sooner rather than later. They didn't waste time to sign him either. Solberg also said the plan is one season in the SHL.

There's no reason to be concerned about his game, he already plays top-pairing minutes in the SHL, he should be NHL ready soon.

He'll be back in action for team Norway, the Olympic Qualifiers tournament starts next Thursday.

Last edited:

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Yeah I can't see Solberg staying in the SHL for that long, especially after signing a contract so quickly.

Whether he goes to the NHL or AHL will probably depend heavily on how things are going in SD.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah I can't see Solberg staying in the SHL for that long, especially after signing a contract so quickly.

Whether he goes to the NHL or AHL will probably depend heavily on how things are going in SD.

I thought it was common for 1st rounders who aren't NCAA bound to sign ELC's before summer's end. That doesn't necessarily dictate how fast one should go to the NHL. And if you're a CHL prospect who doesn't turn 19 years old before Jan 1st, then the AHL isn't an option for the next two seasons. If a prospect doesn't play more than 10 NHL games, then their contract slides and doesn't hurt the team.

Solberg wasn't great defensively on his Norwegian team, but that potential was there because he has been playing against them as a 16 and 17-year old. We can wait for Solberg to establish himself at the SHL level before we can say he's ready to move on. Big hits =/= control of the game. Minty went from the CHL to NHL in his D+2 season, but that dynamism went cold in the second half of the season.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
@Hockey Duckie you said "Solberg wasn't great defensively on his Norwegian team".

If this was true he wouldn't be anywhere near a NHL draft, and certainly not in the 1st round. His play at the World Championship is a big reason why the Ducks really wanted him. Verbeek called it an eye opener, and it's not just his physical game. Now playing 25-30 mins a game in the SHL indicates that he's a pretty good d-man already.

"What defines Solberg above everything else is his mean streak. He’s not content just repelling opponents. He wants them to be as close as possible, as it’s then easier for him to press his stick in their back. He inflicts pain every chance he gets, immobilizes opponents, and knocks them away from the front of the net." -EliteProspects 2024

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
@Hockey Duckie you said "Solberg wasn't great defensively on his Norwegian team".

If this was true he wouldn't be anywhere near a NHL draft, and certainly not in the 1st round. His play at the World Championship is a big reason why the Ducks really wanted him. Verbeek called it an eye opener, and it's not just his physical game. Now playing 25-30 mins a game in the SHL indicates that he's a pretty good d-man already.

"What defines Solberg above everything else is his mean streak. He’s not content just repelling opponents. He wants them to be as close as possible, as it’s then easier for him to press his stick in their back. He inflicts pain every chance he gets, immobilizes opponents, and knocks them away from the front of the net." -EliteProspects 2024

If you're gonna quote me, then quote me correctly. Don't be cutting what I say out b/c you're apparently removing context. Make sure you get your facts straight, not bastardized. He's a 17-year old competing in a men's league because he's too good against his peers at the U18 and U20 leagues, but that doesn't mean he was great in a men's league.

Solberg wasn't great defensively on his Norwegian team, but that potential was there because he has been playing against them as a 16 and 17-year old. We can wait for Solberg to establish himself at the SHL level before we can say he's ready to move on. Big hits =/= control of the game. Minty went from the CHL to NHL in his D+2 season, but that dynamism went cold in the second half of the season.

Talking about getting facts straight, the SHL regular season has not started. It doesn't start until Sept 21st. Solberg has yet to play in an SHL regular season game.

===========

Anaheim invested in Solberg's potential. Solberg isn't a finished product (partly b/c he's Norwegian), but he's got a lot more to develop. If Solberg were this great player you're describing now, then he would have been taken in the top-10 instead of being the 8th d-man selected at #23.

Solberg was identified being stronger than his U18 and U20 teammates, probably due to his physical makeup and playing physical. In his U18 and U20, Solberg has also shown the capacity to generate points at a point-per-game or higher, but that offense dropped drastically once on the men's team. There's a significant jump from U18, U20 to the men's club and it reflects upon his productions. The fact Solberg has been playing with the men's league in the past two seasons identifies his potential is high. The WC showed some flash in seven games, a small sample.

I love the Solberg pick over the Sennecke pick, but I also know "big hits/mean streak does not equal control of game" aspect. My standard for prospect d-men being bandied about as great defensively has to match up with Hampus Lindholm. Lindholm was promoted from the Rogle's J20 club to the men's club in HockeyAllsvenskan and was the reason they got into SHL qualification rounds (Kvalserien SHL) in his draft season. I want Solberg to develop as close to Hampus' defense as much as possible. That doesn't mean Solberg has to stay in the SHL for two years, but I'd rather take my time to develop Solberg's overall defense as well as tap into that hidden offensive potential. He can stew in the AHL for a year or two b/c NA does play a lot heavier game than the European leagues. Although, I'm not fond the Ducks AHL and NHL development programs right now. I'd like Solberg to be more than a 3rd pairing basher, which means we should take our time to develop him to maximize his potential.

Brock Faber took three years to develop in the NCAA, earning and winning accolades along the way. In his first year in the NHL, he established himself as a top pairing D. That's the kind of debut I'd want for Solberg, not some hype about early pre-season in the SHL.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder where Solberg would have gone if he came from (or at least played in) a "hockey" country. Would he have made the SHL last year? He's probably physically advanced for juniors if he's able to push grown men around.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I wonder where Solberg would have gone if he came from (or at least played in) a "hockey" country. Would he have made the SHL last year? He's probably physically advanced for juniors if he's able to push grown men around.
13-17 range for sure, from what I understand most teams don’t have any pro scouts in Norway putting in due diligence

Reactions: lwvs84

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
@Hockey Duckie you may have whatever opinion you like, that's fine. I've been around Norwegian players since Zuccarello made his NHL debut in 2010. So my facts should be straight enough.

Something interesting happened to the EHL (Elite Hockey League) in Norway. They started to sign ex NHLers, and since then the league has become much better. These imports are also coaching the local kids. Results are starting to show with three Norwegian players picked in the NHL draft this year, and more will follow next year.

13-17 range for sure, from what I understand most teams don’t have any pro scouts in Norway putting in due diligence
I believe all NHL scouts in Scandinavia are Swedish, but they also cover Norway and Denmark. Their work sent Solberg to the Ducks, to put it that way.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
He crushed Max Friberg (former duck) . Too be fair, isn’t he like 5’5? Lmao
I know he normally takes a run at a player who's dumb enough to keep his head down, no matter size.

If you want some more Solberg hockey, here are highlights from the EHL playoffs back in April, including a reverse hit and a solid fight. He's #72, in a blue or white jersey.

As you can see he's a defenseman with some offense. If you didn't get the story...he started as a forward, until a d-man on his team after practice got ejected for taking a leak in the shower, and the coach pointed at Solberg and said "you're playing defense tonight". And so he has ever since.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I know he normally takes a run at a player who's dumb enough to keep his head down, no matter size.

If you want some more Solberg hockey, here are highlights from the EHL playoffs back in April, including a reverse hit and a solid fight. He's #72, in a blue or white jersey.

As you can see he's a defenseman with some offense. If you didn't get the story...he started as a forward, until a d-man on his team after practice got ejected for taking a leak in the shower, and the coach pointed at Solberg and said "you're playing defense tonight". And so he has ever since.

Who the hell was watching the guy take a leak in the shower in the first place?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Farjestad are in the CHL right? It’s probably easier to catch glimpses of him live on YouTube. It’s so hard to watch the Swedish League (or Finnish league) in the US

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
And why is that an ejectable offense? It's a drain. It all goes to the same place.
There was more to it than that but I forget the details. I believe it was Jason Bukala who related the story during the NHL draft when Solberg was picked.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
And why is that an ejectable offense? It's a drain. It all goes to the same place.
1724790592537.png

Reactions: JAHV

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Farjestad are in the CHL right? It’s probably easier to catch glimpses of him live on YouTube. It’s so hard to watch the Swedish League (or Finnish league) in the US
Confusing these leagues. Färjestad is in the SHL, Swedish hockey league. This was the EHL playoffs, elite hockey league in Norway.

Regarding this incident in the locker room. No need for further details, or to expose the player by name. But personally I think what he did in a shower also used by others was disgusting, and a correct decision by the coach, who also unintentionally made Solberg think playing D is more fun.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I had no idea Solberg was another in our trend of defenders that were recent converts from forward. Manson, Lacombe and I know I'm missing at least another. Marcus Pettersson or Montour? There's reason to believe we were also in on K'Andre Miller until the Rangers traded up one spot past us who was also a convert.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Nicknames for Solberg ? Thor. The Hound (while Silayev is The Mountain, both were the most physical Dmen in their draft class), The Viking, Ragnar, Odin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad