Prospect Info: Stian Solberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Outside of blown coverage on a counterattacking penalty killer, Solberg has looked damn solid against grown men. Uses his body to protect the puck well when he's in position, does well to maintain gap control defensively and I saw him line up one hit along the boards. Doesn't look out of place as an 18 year old among men.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not as impressive third period for Solberg or Norway. Stian struggled with the rest of the team to clear the zone, had a moment where he tried to get a zone clear and got knocked off balance. Norway's offense hasn't remotely challenged to get the game tied up. Now looks like Denmark is gonna take this barring a miracle.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Outside of blown coverage on a counterattacking penalty killer, Solberg has looked damn solid against grown men. Uses his body to protect the puck well when he's in position, does well to maintain gap control defensively and I saw him line up one hit along the boards. Doesn't look out of place as an 18 year old among men.
Yeah, watching the game you can envision him as a 2nd pairing NHL D someday but it won't be next year or the year after. Physically, I thought he played within himself today and didn't go looking for the big hit and taking himself out of position. His puck skills and ability to carry the puck were good but he did get himself in trouble a time or two when he tried to do too much. IMO the biggest area of improvement is just thinking the game like a man instead of an 18 year-old. That's not a criticism but just the reality of a natural progression all prospects have to go through. I'm sure he felt a lot of pressure playing in an important game today for his country against grown men and IMO he acquitted himself pretty well.

Reactions: HanSolo

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Not as impressive third period for Solberg or Norway. Stian struggled with the rest of the team to clear the zone, had a moment where he tried to get a zone clear and got knocked off balance. Norway's offense hasn't remotely challenged to get the game tied up. Now looks like Denmark is gonna take this barring a miracle.
Yes Solberg made some mistakes. The physical stuff was there, he delivered another huge hit. He's learning, a year or two in the SHL will do him good.

Denmark had by far the best goalie, I can see Fredrik Andersen was drafted by Anaheim, so I guess fans know him well.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This.. If he keeps playing like this.. He might get called up.... Him and Gudas or one game.. Please!! lol
Some perspective - the guy he hit is 5’11” 190#. That’s like blowing up Terry or Zegras, which is pretty easy if you can catch them square on the boards like that.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Some perspective - the guy he hit is 5’11” 190#. That’s like blowing up Terry or Zegras, which is pretty easy if you can catch them square on the boards like that.
lol Ill give you that.. Truth be told.. Hes not afraid to hit.. and you know we need that here

Reactions: Kalv

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
True but Stian is only going to get bigger and stronger with time. You virtually never see kids his age throwing the body in men's international play. I think it's less about his capacity to step in today and blow NHLers up with hits as much as it is that he's got the confidence and aggression to do it against adults right out of the draft.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
lol Ill give you that.. Truth be told.. Hes not afraid to hit.. and you know we need that here
True but Stian is only going to get bigger and stronger with time. You virtually never see kids his age throwing the body in men's international play. I think it's less about his capacity to step in today and blow NHLers up with hits as much as it is that he's got the confidence and aggression to do it against adults right out of the draft.
I’m not arguing that at all, I think he has a very bright future.

I was arguing that he will not be ready to play in the NHL this yea (or nex)r just because he can blow up a small player in a Swedish league.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I’m not arguing that at all, I think he has a very bright future.

I was arguing that he will not be ready to play in the NHL this yea (or nex)r just because he can blow up a small player in a Swedish league.

Just to be fair...the Frölunda player he dropped (video in post 221), #48 Carl Klingberg is 6'3 and 225 lbs. I don't think Solberg cares about their size, big or small. Looks like any player with his head down is in danger.

Should be fun to watch him play for the Ducks. And his hits are always clean, he doesn't take many penalties, or putting himself out of position.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Solberg has been blowing up adults since age 16 in the Norwegian men's league. That's been his game for a while b/c he won the genetic lottery to be pushed up to the men's league so young. Because he was pushed up into the men's league early, that has slowed down his overall development, especially his offense. He fell into that Lundy scenario of being too good for U18/U20 that he got pushed into Sweden's mens league at age 16. Fortunately, Anaheim has a plethora of LD youths at the NHL and AHL levels that the org can take their time to develop

I love his potential going forward on top of his bombastic aggressiveness. Tap into that offensive skill a lil' more and learn how to control the game defensively, then we might have developed a gem!

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think he's trying to make himself known around the league, based on his comments...

Media: The player you hit hard is 35, no respect for the veterans?
Solberg: Nope.

Media: With your physical game, are you not worried about a retaliation or fight?
Solberg: Let them come, they'll regret it.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think he's trying to make himself known around the league, based on his comments...

Media: The player you hit hard is 35, no respect for the veterans?
Solberg: Nope.

Media: With your physical game, are you not worried about a retaliation or fight?
Solberg: Let them come, they'll regret it.
Reminds me quite a bit of Vishnevski, hopefully with better defensive awareness (and maybe a bit more offense, too).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad