Prospect Info: Stian Solberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Solberg made headlines last night after his first game in the SHL. He dropped the gloves and demolished a guy, and had 7 hits. - "I want to make myself known already".

He also played well on the blueline.
Is there any where you could recommend to catch highlights or updates? Really want to follow this kid.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Solberg made headlines last night after his first game in the SHL. He dropped the gloves and demolished a guy, and had 7 hits. - "I want to make myself known already".

The kid just oozes confidence and leadership potential. I've never been this happy with a late 1st round pick before. This just feels like a pick where we'll look back in 20 years and it will look like a genius move by Verbeek to make the trade to move up and grab him.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Is there any where you could recommend to catch highlights or updates? Really want to follow this kid.
https://www.farjestadbk.se/ - team homepage
SHL - highlights, but mostly just the goals.
I think ESPN broadcasts SHL games in the US.

I'm a Ducks fan now, better put him in my avatar, and with that cool logo.

Honestly I expected him to be a guy a GM would take top 15. Shocked that he was there for us and he is exactly what the org was missing. If he was a RHD then it would be perfect.
I think some NHL teams are sceptical about Norwegian players, even though Detroit picked MBN at 15. Not exactly a big hockey nation. But Verbeek said they follow the top league in Norway because players are getting better and better.

Sstealths1

Jan 14, 2021

1723943851644.png

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Solberg's team won last night. He continues with the physical stuff, had 4 hard hits, this time nobody challenged him. He's on the top pair, played 32 mins. Isn't this a lot when he's only 18? I guess the coaches think he can handle it.
Oh gosh.
I remember Sider played 20+ mins and was physical throughout in his D+1 SHL season.
This preseason shows a lot of promise for Solberg

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
That has zero to do with Solberg. Completely different type of defenseman, and won’t be on the NHL roster outside of spot 3rd pairing duties for a minimum of 3-4 years.
Oh DVM. I beg to differ.. Just you wait... BTW we have fowlers replacement already.. Zellwgeger

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Oh DVM. I beg to differ.. Just you wait... BTW we have fowlers replacement already.. Zellwgeger
Zellweger is still pretty poor at the only defense thing. It would be prudent to develop him properly (unlike Fowler) in the hopes that he can have a higher top end. He’s more sheltered than any other regular and still has poor possession stats. Not what you’d want on a top pairing. Let him develop properly.

They’re going to want a lot more from a top 4 defenseman than hitting people. It’s almost unheard of for that type of defenseman to be on an NHL top 4 in less than 3 years, especially when they’ve yet to play against men, or play an NHL length season. When he was asked what he needed to improve about his game, his self aware response was “everything”. Zero reason to rush this guy. Regardless, he’s got zip to do with Fowler, which was I was responding to.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Zellweger is still pretty poor at the only defense thing. It would be prudent to develop him properly (unlike Fowler) in the hopes that he can have a higher top end. He’s more sheltered than any other regular and still has poor possession stats. Not what you’d want on a top pairing. Let him develop properly.

They’re going to want a lot more from a top 4 defenseman than hitting people. It’s almost unheard of for that type of defenseman to be on an NHL top 4 in less than 3 years, especially when they’ve yet to play against men, or play an NHL length season. When he was asked what he needed to improve about his game, his self aware response was “everything”. Zero reason to rush this guy. Regardless, he’s got zip to do with Fowler, which was I was responding to.

Solberg has been playing against men in the Norwegian league. It's still a lower level competition than the SHL, but that's why Solberg made the transfer to the SHL.

I totally agree of letting Solberg stew for a couple of seasons or three only because I think he's got offense that can be developed. When he played in U20s or below, that offensive output exists. But because he was rushed to the men's league in Norway, his offense got stifled in his age 16 and 17 year seasons (D-1 and D-2). If we can develop Solberg into a 2-way D, then we might have something even more special here. Look at Brock Faber, he was known only a shutdown D. The Kings/Wild let him develop three years in college and then Faber also became a gem in the NHL, which landed him an $8.5 mil AAV for eight years.

I'm happy Solberg is in the SHL instead of our AHL/NHL program. I don't trust our AHL/NHL development program at the moment. We ran down our NHL youths physically into injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad