Prospect Info: Stian Solberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Agreed. SHL is a better skating league as well in addition to a bigger ice surface. That can only help him.
I have no idea if this is correct but I would think that it would help to bring forwards over earlier to get used to the smaller ice (not having as much room to navigate/make plays) but that the opposite would be true for defensemen. That it would be easier to defend on smaller NA ice.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So do you think they'll put Solberg in the minors, and maybe call him up next season already? Or is a year or two in Sweden the best path for him? I don't know, he looks NHL ready, but he's only 18.

Solberg's gonna be even more dangerous when he adds more mass so the taller players can't shrug him off.
He'll end up in fights when he plays like that, but he knows. I heard boxing is part of his personal training.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wonder if the WHL becomes a serious option. Apparently Regina has some form of hope he’ll come and I could definitely see why the Ducks might perhaps want that.

It would feel like a downgrade in competition level for Solberg after playing in a men's league (Norway) and the WC. Then there's the defensive aspect; usually, there isn't much defensive structure in the CHL.

If Solberg comes over, then it should be in the AHL or NHL. But I'd prefer he develops his game in the SHL: higher competition level than the CHL, top men's tier league, fewer games to help improve physically, better roster support (because top teams rise from 2nd tier, HA, to 1st tier, SHL), no guessing on which games to miss if put on a Carlsson load mgmt program, etc... I don't trust our coaching staff at either level. Essentially, I'd rather choose quality over quantity (games played at CHL, AHL, and NHL).

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
An update on Solberg. He's in Färjestad's training camp these days, playing physical as always. A teammate learned the hard way that he needs to keep his head up when Anaheim's truck is on the ice, the guy went airborne but is okay.

Solberg will also join Team Norway later this month to play the Olympic Qualifiers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m actually curious to who we had targeted at 18-23…. In the draft video madden says”solberg wasn’t a guy we originally had pinned”

Glad we got solberg tho…. He’s gunna be a beast

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I’m actually curious to who we had targeted at 18-23…. In the draft video madden says”solberg wasn’t a guy we originally had pinned.

They didn't think Solberg would be available at 23, then they made a deal with the Leafs and traded up. The price was a 1st and a 2nd, that's how much the Ducks wanted him.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I’m actually curious to who we had targeted at 18-23…. In the draft video madden says”solberg wasn’t a guy we originally had pinned”

This is the way I took what he said:
  • Before the draft they look at teams with picks ahead of us that they can possibly trade up to.
  • They have an idea of who they would trade up for if they fall.
  • Solberg obviously was one of those guys, but they didn't expect him to be there for them to trade up to
So it is more that they wouldnt have traded up at all if he didn't fall. Similar to the Krebs deal. When he got picked then they didnt trade up.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I understood it this way too.

Verbeek wanted to trade up around pick 16 (iirc, could be 18th pick); @HanSolo shared on our draft GDT that the Ducks were on the phone around that pick. They made the trade with Toronto at 23 with a few people in mind, but not expecting Solberg to be available at 23.

This will be a fun exercise. I added RD Badinka because he was also a late riser and Anaheim loves late risers.

Here are picks 24 to 30.
24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
25. C LeTourneau (St. Andrews College, headed to NCAA)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
28. RW Gridin (USHL, headed to NCAA)​
29. RW Hemming (Finland)​
30. RD EJ Emery (US NTDP, headed to NCAA)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

We can cross off the NCAA guys because Verbeek hasn't used a pick above the 5th round on an NCAA bound prospect since he took over GM duties for the draft for the past three drafts.

Here are picks 24 to 30 without NCAA bound guys
24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

We haven't drafted a Finnish prospect since round 2 of the 2015 draft with C Nattinen. I was hoping the Ducks would draft 6'2 and 187 lbs, Finnish RD Soini in the later rounds of the 2024 draft, but went with a 5'10 and 152 lbs C Blais in the 4th round. Guess our scouts really don't like Finnish prospects.

Here are picks 24 to 30 without NCAA bound guys or Finnish guys
24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

That's a small group there. My preferences would be between Vanacker and Badinka.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Verbeek wanted to trade up around pick 16 (iirc, could be 18th pick); @HanSolo shared on our draft GDT that the Ducks were on the phone around that pick. They made the trade with Toronto at 23 with a few people in mind, but not expecting Solberg to be available at 23.

This will be a fun exercise. I added RD Badinka because he was also a late riser and Anaheim loves late risers.

Here are picks 24 to 30.
24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

We can cross off the NCAA guys because Verbeek hasn't used a pick above the 5th round on an NCAA bound prospect since he took over GM duties for the draft for the past three drafts.

24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

We haven't drafted a Finnish prospect since round 2 of the 2015 draft with C Nattinen. I was hoping the Ducks would draft 6'2 and 187 lbs, Finnish RD Soini in the later rounds of the 2024 draft, but went with a 5'10 and 152 lbs C Blais in the 4th round. Guess our scouts really don't like Finnish prospects.

24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

That's a small group there. My preferences would be between Vanacker and Badinka.
It's almost like Nattinen ruined things for Ducks drafting more Finns.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think seeing Raty and Lambert falling from projected #1 to not even in the top-25 in the draft continued the support of not drafting Finnish prospects too.
Dallas is the only team that seems to have a good Finnish scout lol. Heiskenen, Roope Hintz, Esa Lindell and they just drafted Emil Hemming.

Ducks have drafted someone from Latvia, Norway, Belarus, Italy, France, Austria, Czechia, Slovakia and Russia more recently than from Finland. Groulx was born in France, Nickl was born in Austria and Durny from Slovakia. Finnish Top 5 picks Puljujarvi, Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Juolevi have been terrible. Laine has been disappointing for a 2nd overall pick but when healthy he's a top6 forward.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Here are picks 24 to 30.
24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

24. C Beaudoin (OHL)​
26. RW Greentree (OHL)​
27. LW Vanacker (OHL)​
...​
34. RD Badinka (Sweden)​

If I remember right it was more that Madden and co didn't think Solberg would be available around 18 and they started calling every team for a potential trade around there. And yeah I saw it happen in real time. The table went from borderline comatose to very animated out of nowhere with Verbeek on and off the phone until the trade was finalized. I also saw that Madden looked very excited before the pick was made so clearly the team thinks highly of him and if Madden had that kind of kid at Disneyland grin on his face, well I'm gonna take that as a good thing lol.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If I remember right it was more that Madden and co didn't think Solberg would be available around 18 and they started calling every team for a potential trade around there. And yeah I saw it happen in real time. The table went from borderline comatose to very animated out of nowhere with Verbeek on and off the phone until the trade was finalized. I also saw that Madden looked very excited before the pick was made so clearly the team thinks highly of him and if Madden had that kind of kid at Disneyland grin on his face, well I'm gonna take that as a good thing lol.
This. I understood it as well that Solberg was the target all along.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad