News: Steven Stamkos to hit free agency on July 1st

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MKGamingByMunish

Apr 21, 2021
Considering Guentzel seems to be staying put in Carolina, can Stamkos go to Vancouver?

Maybe 4 Years @ $6M? Or 5 Years @ $5M?

A cheaper option for the Canucks and gives them a bit more freedom to make other moves...

Reactions: David71

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I find it weird that the Bolts would trade for McDonagh's full cap hit and then be like oops we only have 5M to round out the roster with Stammer still unsigned.

That doesn't scream a GM that really wanted to get this done. Feels like the plan from the start was to lowball Stamkos and then it's take it or leave it.

But why would you trade for a 35 yr old McDonagh if the plan isn't to keep the band together.

And if you're willing to let Stamkos go, how are you going to find offense of that quality for low $$? They don't even have a 2nd line now. Cirelli isn't good enough to carry that line offensively, and spare parts won't get them anywhere.

You could say they planned to dump some cap and the price ended up being too high. But they didn't have any good draft picks to begin with.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what happens, but so far this looks puzzling. You can't expect Kucherov to carry the team offensively like he did every year.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I find it weird that the Bolts would trade for McDonagh's full cap hit and then be like oops we only have 5M to round out the roster with Stammer still unsigned.

That doesn't scream a GM that really wanted to get this done. Feels like the plan from the start was to lowball Stamkos and then it's take it or leave it.

But why would you trade for a 35 yr old McDonagh if the plan isn't to keep the band together.

And if you're willing to let Stamkos go, how are you going to find offense of that quality for low $$? They don't even have a 2nd line now. Cirelli isn't good enough to carry that line offensively, and spare parts won't get them anywhere.

You could say they planned to dump some cap and the price ended up being too high. But they didn't have any good draft picks to begin with.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what happens, but so far this looks puzzling. You can't expect Kucherov to carry the team offensively like he did every year.
This is by and large how we feel so good assessment of the situation.

I wouldn't mind losing Stamkos if we were miles apart and a team was offering 8M and north of it. We all figured somewhere like 5-7M with the pieces of Sheary, Jeannot or Perbix being moved.

To offer him a Nick Paul contract, $400k more than Jeannot, is a f***ing insult. That's wild. Pavelski got more and was older at the time. There's not even a comparable allowing you to offer 3M. I can't say with any certainty, but it just feels personal if 3M is a true figure. It feels like Brisebois does not like Stamkos. I understand losing Palat and Killorn offering that kind of contract, but to end a guys 16 year tenure, he's your captain, at 3M? Nah. Time for Brisebois to take a hike.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I'll say it now just so I don't appear to be roasting the team that signs him.
Unless he signs a great contract, which he won't, Stamkos will become an albatross in the near future.

Reactions: TimeZone

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
2 cups 4 SCFs. Imagine he’d want a high cap low term payout with a competitive team to retire early than play at a discount into his 40s. wtf offer lol

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'll say it now just so I don't appear to be roasting the team that signs him.
Unless he signs a great contract, which he won't, Stamkos will become an albatross in the near future.
The number floated is 3M. His counter or number from his side was 4-5? Anything at 6M and less for 3 years is incredibly fair. 4-5M 30/30 production is not an albatross by any means.

The only way it becomes an albatross is if GMs start competing and work their way into the +7M range with term. That's where it'll hurt a team but if he's comfortable with 4-5M, that's a f***ing bargain.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

You have grasped our nightmare rather well.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
The number floated is 3M. His counter or number from his side was 4-5? Anything at 6M and less for 3 years is incredibly fair. 4-5M 30/30 production is not an albatross by any means.

The only way it becomes an albatross is if GMs start competing and work their way into the +7M range with term. That's where it'll hurt a team but if he's comfortable with 4-5M, that's a f***ing bargain.
If those are the actual numbers (4-5m), that's indeed incredibly fair. Nevermind if so. :)

Reactions: Stammertime91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad