Steve Yzerman is not a good GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
2017 is used because it is the 48 point season that's about as low as it gets.

Yzerman never started with a team THAT bad.

You can kindly shut the hell up.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I don't follow Detroit much and I certainly don't have an informed opinion about Yzerman's moves. However, I will say two points about how I generally evaluate (to the extent that I do, which is limited) the work of NHL GMs:

-- I never evaluate anything until at least two full years into the GM's reign. In most cases, it takes three or four years before the "GM's team" begins to really emerge.
-- People need to stop making excuses and always focus on wins/losses and playoff appearances, because that's all that matters.

So, Yzerman has had 5 years, which should be long enough to have shown serious progress. Now, in defense of Yzerman, he inherited a pretty dreadful team with major contract issues, so it was always going to take longer than 2 or 3 years to sort all that out. And they have improved each of the past four seasons, which at least is progress.

But on the other hand, it's been half a decade, and... zero playoff games played, so that's a hard fail.

My general take would be this: Because they missed the playoffs last year -- which is a year some people thought they would/should make it --, Yzerman's status as GM right now is something like "moderate failure". I mean, this isn't a participation league -- you either win, or you're a failure. However, if the Wings have a good season in 2024-25 and just qualify for the playoffs (even if they lose 4 straight in the first round), we can surely say that Yzerman's status changes to "decent". And then if they continue to improve after that, he moves into the "moderate success" and maybe "success" categories.

1723974128527.png

How exactly is this not significant progress? They were at 39 points in the COVID shortened season as a capped-out roster and the best prospects they had probably being Filip Zadina who was just drafted the year prior and... Michael Rasmussen, I guess?

39->48->74->80->91.

The Wings missed the playoffs this last year because they saw just how important Dylan Larkin is to them. They went from solidly in the playoffs to out and almost miraculously scraping back in because he got hurt in late February and the entire team went into a ludicrous swoon without him.

He can't be a complete success yet, because as you say, you've gotta make the playoffs. But he also hasn't been a failure either because the Wings of 24-25 are light-years superior to the Wings of 19-20.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
The man has been GM in Detroit since April 19 2019, and in that time the team has played in a grand total of 0 playoff games and let's be honest they don't look they are making it next year either, in fact they look like they took a step back.
when you are a GM and you miss the playoffs for 5 straight years you are a failure that's an undisputed fact.
If it were any other GM in any other city, in any other sport and that GM missed the playoffs for 5 straight years that GM would get fired.
It's been 5 years for Yzerman, and 8 years overall, there comes a point where the only progress is playoffs, Detroit is at that point, how many years does Yzerman get before you see there has been no progress?
You keep saying that and completely ignore the fact, that Detroit was tanking the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons. 2022-23 season was the first season that Detroit was trying to make the playoffs but they failed. Tank years gave Detroit #4th pick, #6th pick and #8th pick, it's quite clear sign that the team was progress and the top-3 pick was out of their reach.

Total points and PPG, points out improvement
2019-20: 39 points & 0.55 PPG
2020-21: 48 points & 0.86 PPG
2021-22: 74 points & 0.90 PPG
2022-23: 80 points & 0.98 PPG
2023-24: 91 points & 1.11 PPG

This past season Detroit didn't make playoffs due to technicality, Wings and Caps had same amount of points and Wings had total 1 win more but Caps had more regular time wins. Wings also scored more goals(9th most in NHL) and had better goal differential, Wings +4 and Caps -37. If the NHL rulebook had more common sense Wings would have made playoffs last season.

So Detroit is improving under Yzerman slowly but steadily. It often sounds like that people expected Yzerman just by appearing would magically turn Detroit to playoff team in a matter of months.
Trading Wallman and a 2nd literally for free, and then not replacing him was an awful choice.
Signing Jack Campbell and Cam Talbot was an awful choice because all it does is create a logjam in net, and yeah I know Campbell is probably going to be in the AHL but that still leaves you with 3 goaltenders that all expect NHL minutes and you can't give NHL minutes to 3 goalies that all know they are at least backups at this point.
In the words of AJ Soprano, you just revealed your own ignorance.

Rumours say that Walman was causing issues in the locker room during the last stretch of the season and was healthy scratched from the final games of the regular season. And when you consider how he was dumped after the season, that doesn't make the rumours sound false. And Walman was replaced by Edvinsson, Yzerman has made clear that Ed will have big role next season.

Last season Wings started the season with 3 goalies as well and it turned out be correct decision. Husso was injured through out the whole year and Reimer couldn't catch a beachball, Hutchinson is AHL goalie and Cossa is not even ready now, let alone year ago, Lethemon was a ECHL goalie. It was the 3rd goalie Lyon who nearly helped the Wings reach the playoffs.

And now, Husso's health is still questionable and Cossa ain't ready. Campbell is a AHL goalie, who is in there just i case, if they needed to call up. That way they wouldn't leave GR without a goalie, if Wings wouldn't have 3 goalies and Husso was still injured or out of shape. They would have to start the season with Lyon-Cossa pair and GR's starter would be a ECHL goalie. This is basic team building, this also creates competition. Which means that none of them can't have any off days, play well and help the team to win, then you get minutes. This is a results driven sport, not a charity.
Yeah there is a couple good draft picks in there and I know people will point that out but again those picks have led to 0 playoff games.
All the good picks are under 23 years old and of those Seider and Raymond already lifted the team from basement and others are just arriving, next season Edvinsson, Berggren and Al.Johansson will be regulars. Kasper, Danielson and Mazur ain't far off and in few years Cossa, ASP, MBN and others.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You keep saying that and completely ignore the fact, that Detroit was tanking the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons. 2022-23 season was the first season that Detroit was trying to make the playoffs but they failed. Tank years gave Detroit #4th pick, #6th pick and #8th pick, it's quite clear sign that the team was progress and the top-3 pick was out of their reach.

Total points and PPG, points out improvement
2019-20: 39 points & 0.55 PPG
2020-21: 48 points & 0.86 PPG
2021-22: 74 points & 0.90 PPG
2022-23: 80 points & 0.98 PPG
2023-24: 91 points & 1.11 PPG

This past season Detroit didn't make playoffs due to technicality, Wings and Caps had same amount of points and Wings had total 1 win more but Caps had more regular time wins. Wings also scored more goals(9th most in NHL) and had better goal differential, Wings +4 and Caps -37. If the NHL rulebook had more common sense Wings would have made playoffs last season.

So Detroit is improving under Yzerman slowly but steadily. It often sounds like that people expected Yzerman just by appearing would magically turn Detroit to playoff team in a matter of months.

In the words of AJ Soprano, you just revealed your own ignorance.

Rumours say that Walman was causing issues in the locker room during the last stretch of the season and was healthy scratched from the final games of the regular season. And when you consider how he was dumped after the season, that doesn't make the rumours sound false. And Walman was replaced by Edvinsson, Yzerman has made clear that Ed will have big role next season.

Last season Wings started the season with 3 goalies as well and it turned out be correct decision. Husso was injured through out the whole year and Reimer couldn't catch a beachball, Hutchinson is AHL goalie and Cossa is not even ready now, let alone year ago, Lethemon was a ECHL goalie. It was the 3rd goalie Lyon who nearly helped the Wings reach the playoffs.

And now, Husso's health is still questionable and Cossa ain't ready. Campbell is a AHL goalie, who is in there just i case, if they needed to call up. That way they wouldn't leave GR without a goalie, if Wings wouldn't have 3 goalies and Husso was still injured or out of shape. They would have to start the season with Lyon-Cossa pair and GR's starter would be a ECHL goalie. This is basic team building, this also creates competition. Which means that none of them can't have any off days, play well and help the team to win, then you get minutes. This is a results driven sport, not a charity.

All the good picks are under 23 years old and of those Seider and Raymond already lifted the team from basement and others are just arriving, next season Edvinsson, Berggren and Al.Johansson will be regulars. Kasper, Danielson and Mazur ain't far off and in few years Cossa, ASP, MBN and others.

If the NHL rulebook gad more common sense a lot of things would be better but we don't live in that world, that world doesn't exist.

Seeing as it says under your name that you have been here since 2012 that means You've followed the sport since at least 2012 so I think you know that.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think there comes a point where the only progress is playoffs and I think Detroit has reached that point.

I don't disagree, but that phase of the build up is only really beginning now. Personally I think playoffs are close to 50/50 this year, there is no doubt they should be expecting to be in the post season.. the Atlantic is tough. Not making it should be considered a failure, I don't believe any prior season that was ever even a real hope. Last season they over achieved and had brutal stretches, minimize the low points and they likely make it, with some improved goaltending and defense.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
It's factually true, nobody else will say it because It's Yzerman but it is the reality of the situation.

The man has been GM in Detroit since April 19 2019, and in that time the team has played in a grand total of 0 playoff games and let's be honest they don't look they are making it next year either, in fact they look like they took a step back.

Other than possibly replacing Perron with Tarasenko NOTHING Yzerman did this off season was good.

Trading Wallman and a 2nd literally for free, and then not replacing him was an awful choice.

Signing Jack Campbell and Cam Talbot was an awful choice because all it does is create a logjam in net, and yeah I know Campbell is probably going to be in the AHL but that still leaves you with 3 goaltenders that all expect NHL minutes and you can't give NHL minutes to 3 goalies that all know they are at least backups at this point.

Yeah there is a couple good draft picks in there and I know people will point that out but again those picks have led to 0 playoff games.

If it were any other GM in any other city, in any other sport and that GM missed the playoffs for 5 straight years that GM would get fired.

But It's Yzerman and Detroit so it won't happen but his track record is his track record he's missed the playoffs for 5 straight years, the team has missed the playoffs for 8 straight years, their goaltending is a mess, their defense is an overall mess, their forwards are OK.

If this team misses the playoffs again and they look like they it will be their 9th straight year and Yzerman 6th.

At what point do you stop living in denial and admit Yzerman has done a shit job?
Look at Seider draft he went 6 the with the top 5 picks being Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram & Turcotte. Redo that draft now 1 ) Hughes ( 1st in 2019 ) 2 ) Seider ( 6th in 2019 ), 3 ) Boldy ( 12 th in 2019 ) 4 ) Zegras ( 9 the in 2019 ) 5 ) Caufield ( 15 the in 2019 ). Seider, Boldy, Zegras & Caufield the 1st rd steals of the 2019 draft.

In 2021 Yzerman chose Raymond @ 4th overall redoing that draft Raymond you would pick 2nd overall behind Stutzle but ahead of Byfield & Lafreniere.

Wings have added Kane, Tarasenko & Debrincat yes goaltending is still an unknown no different than Toronto. But the forward group much improved with those additions. Debrincat & Kane are still PPG players. Detroit is now a playoff team.

Reactions: Oddbob

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't disagree, but that phase of the build up is only really beginning now. Personally I think playoffs are close to 50/50 this year, there is no doubt they should be expecting to be in the post season.. the Atlantic is tough. Not making it should be considered a failure, I don't believe any prior season that was ever even a real hope. Last season they over achieved and had brutal stretches, minimize the low points and they likely make it, with some improved goaltending and defense.

Problem is even if you believe that, who do they knock out?

Because in order for them to make the playoffs they probably need to be top 4, which means passing 1 of Toronto, Tampa, Florida or Boston.

Baring some MAJOR season or career ending injury I don't see it.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It's factually true, nobody else will say it because It's Yzerman but it is the reality of the situation.

Other than possibly replacing Perron with Tarasenko NOTHING Yzerman did this off season was good.

But It's Yzerman and Detroit so it won't happen but his track record is his track record he's missed the playoffs for 5 straight years, the team has missed the playoffs for 8 straight years, their goaltending is a mess, their defense is an overall mess, their forwards are OK.

If this team misses the playoffs again and they look like they it will be their 9th straight year and Yzerman 6th.

At what point do you stop living in denial and admit Yzerman has done a shit job?

Red Wings under Yzerman are the only NHL team to improve in the standings in each of the last four seasons.

Additionally, he built a top-five farm system and has the resources to trade for literally any player in the NHL, McDavid included. Choosing not to at this stage is part of his plan.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Problem is even if you believe that, who do they knock out?

Because in order for them to make the playoffs they probably need to be top 4, which means passing 1 of Toronto, Tampa, Florida or Boston.

Baring some MAJOR season or career ending injury I don't see it.

Not an easy task, but that's why they play the games. I'm a pretty patient fan, I grew up and got into hockey basically in 1995 in a Red Wings household due to a cousin being a former team member. I can survive off those memories for a little longer.

I don't believe Seider and Raymond are finished products, team defense SHOULD be improved by subtraction in a few areas. Edvinsson should be a positive add, and consistent goaltending would be welcome. They barely missed last year while enduring some absolute shiet extended stretches.

Now not everyone likes the slow, methodical approach but I think it's the right direction... disappointing if we miss again but I still think the ship is sailing in the right direction for another long stretch of success in HockeyTown.

Could easily see Detroit replacing Washington this season. It's possible other teams take steps back as they age or just simply from overachieving last season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think it's fair to say he's a lot better than the disaster that was Detroit's front office in the years preceeding him joining the organization.

But I also, we are starting to get to the stage where there are supposed to be clearer signs of the team taking the next step, and I think there's a fair amount of skepticism around if they'll be able to do so. They'll likely be able to flirt with getting a playoff spot, which is fine, but half the league .makes the post season ever year.

Wings fans in this thread seem to assume that continuous progress is a given - which is far from a certainty. Particularly when it comes to prospects - more often than not guys don't come close to reaching their ceilings. And Yzerman hasnt exactly been seamless at putting together a supporting cast for the team either

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Been saying it for years.

He walked into a completely ideal situation in Tampa with some extremely strong pieces already in place. Plus he had the benefits of a good team in a good area with no taxes. He was gming on easy mode essentially. Now hes gone to Detroit where he had none of these advantages, and hes appeared at best an average gm.

Most gms anyways in this league will be average. There is so much luck and other factors involved its extremely difficult to stand out from the pack for a very long period. When a gm hits that really good streak they get overrated until people realize they had some lucky breaks.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
85% of people don't believe in facts, when you are a GM and you miss the playoffs for 5 straight years you are a failure that's an undisputed fact.

But again Yzerman won't get fired because nobody in Detroitis going to fire the greatest Red Wing to ever live next to Gordie Howe It's not going to happen he's an icon in Detroit he will be there as long as he wants, and when he moves on it will be painted as HIS call.

He's invincible in Detroit

I have my problems with Yzerman. I think that our pro scouting sort of sucks, and we've chosen the wrong "stop gaps," often overpaying them. Our development system doesn't move guys along quickly enough, we haven't capitalized on our mountains of 2nd and 3rd ribs picks and he hasn't prioritized the qualities that I prefer to watch (skill and speed).

Kasper, Danielson, Cossa and MBN are all fine picks where I think we could have done a bit better. Chiarot, Holl and Petry were poor editions to our blue line. The Walman trade was ugly. Cleveland, Gibson, James, etc all capture the mis-prioritization of responsibility over talent in the 2nd+. AlJo having no NHL time, Edvinsson barely playing last year, Berggren being buried last year and the lack of space for Kasper, Mazur and Danielson this year, I think fails to maximize their development potential. Copp (and to a lesser extent Compher) is a little overpaid and was signed for too long.

Honestly though, when it's all said and done, there's maybe 3 GMs in the league I'd even consider replacing him with. I can't think of anyone that I'd be willing to bet would have this Red Wings team in a better place after the same 5 years. Most of these guys are uneducated and spent their youths getting concussions. Sorry that we're not all getting out the pitch forks to fire Yzerman and replace him with Treviling.

The rebuild is in the process of turning the corner. I doubt that we're a shoo-in for the playoffs this year. If by the end of the 25-26 season, we're not looking like a perennial playoff team, I'll be surprised, and ready to get out those pitch forks.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I think it's fair to say he's a lot better than the disaster that was Detroit's front office in the years preceeding him joining the organization.

But I also, we are starting to get to the stage where there are supposed to be clearer signs of the team taking the next step, and I think there's a fair amount of skepticism around if they'll be able to do so. They'll likely be able to flirt with getting a playoff spot, which is fine, but half the league .makes the post season ever year.

Wings fans in this thread seem to assume that continuous progress is a given - which is far from a certainty. Particularly when it comes to prospects - more often than not guys don't come close to reaching their ceilings. And Yzerman hasnt exactly been seamless at putting together a supporting cast for the team either
I mean, so far he's had consistent progress and the lower levels of the minors are now stocked with players who actually have hope and not Taro Hirose, Ryan Kuffner, Mitch Callahan, and a dozen other guys who were NHL worthless.

What the hell are we supposed to think, my man? We've seen 5 years of going from a completely blazing tire fire with an empty hydrant to it being put out and being on the verge of the playoffs last year (with it actually being a massive disappointment because they were like 8 points in the playoff a week before the TDL and promptly went like 8 points out of a possible 40 or something ridiculous like that after Larkin went down.

Should we be sitting here as Wings fans saying "Our team sucks and they're always gonna suck?"

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
85% of people don't believe in facts, when you are a GM and you miss the playoffs for 5 straight years you are a failure that's an undisputed fact.

But again Yzerman won't get fired because nobody in Detroitis going to fire the greatest Red Wing to ever live next to Gordie Howe It's not going to happen he's an icon in Detroit he will be there as long as he wants, and when he moves on it will be painted as HIS call.

He's invincible in Detroit
Either claim is scientifically proven as a fact where?

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Seider was a reach at 6, even the people discussing it during the draft said a few MAYBE had him at 8, and a number of others had him in the 15-23 range. Detroit and Edmonton were the only ones who were known to have him that high and Edmonton was because Holland had taken over for them at that point. He was not ranked 6th going into that night.
Yes, we knew that Holland and Yzerman were both very high on Seider and he was rapidly rising to and higher on internal lists. He was ranked 11th-16th on most public lists by the draft.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah no one ever has an answer on to what Yzerman should have done, the only other thing would've been to not step on the gas at all and been a bottom dweller praying for 1st overalls which if you haven't been following didn't really work out here.

And by the standards set which is playoffs or ya bust. would be a failing as well where you would still be saying stuff such as lol Yzerman still not in loffs bro overrated.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yes, we knew that Holland and Yzerman were both very high on Seider and he was rapidly rising to and higher on internal lists. He was ranked 11th-16th on most public lists by the draft.

Source(s)?

Here's a room full of people who obviously knew Holland and Yzerman were high on Seider and that Seider would go that early.

In his first draft as GM of the Detroit Red Wings, Steve Yzerman made a splash. The Red Wings shocked the hockey world by taking German defenseman Moritz Seider sixth overall, making him the second defenseman taken after Colorado’s Bowen Byram at No. 4.

On most lists, Seider was slated to go in the 15-20 range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
That sounds like a whole lot of nothing.

What concerns me with Detroit is that teams on the same timeline as them such as NJ are already competing, and now teams that have begun rebuilding recently like CHI and SJS are leapfrogging over them in the rebuild. When is it going to be Detroit's window to win? It's going to be Bedard's and Celebrini's league before you know it.

As i see it, Detroit is heading slow and steady towards bubble team territory.
This is why he was being sarcastic to you.

New Jersey had two top 2 lottery picks (Hischier and Hughes) who both hit immediately. And they've had one year of competing.

And good lord, Chicago and San Jose are leapfrogging them in the rebuild because they drafted Bedard and Celebrini? Both Chicago and San Jose are years away from seriously being competitive. Kudos that they won a lottery and got a potential superstar. Both still have dogshit defenses and terrible goaltending. And as Toronto can provide evidence for... even having three or four superstar forwards isn't enough to be anything in this league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
MacKinnon and Rantanen were drafted in 2013 and 2015 respectively. Pretending that the Avs rebuilt from scratch after their awful 2016-17 season doesn't hold to scrutiny.

Yup, they had one terrible year after their original rebuild that allowed them to sink down the standings and get Makar.

The rest of the foundation of their team was built 2011 - 2015.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
These threads tend to have a lot of people in them that think Yzerman is either awful or he's an untouchable god.

I have him as an above average GM who came into a really good situation in Tampa. I think he's done a good job in Detroit but he's definitely not infallible. His top picks have been really good for what was available. Kind of got screwed by lottery luck but did end up getting 2 of the best players from the Raymond and Seider drafts.

The team has improved every year and looks set to improve again next season. Still have to see what we have at the nhl level in Danielson, Kasper, Berg, Edvinsson, Cossa etc. It is comforting that our areas of weakness (defense, goaltending, 2C) are our farm's biggest strengths. We'll have to see if these players become Rasmussen types as role players or become legit good players like Raymond, or hopefully more.

Now to the bad. Holl and Petry acquisitions were just outright bad. They don't belong in the nhl at this point. I'm almost tempted to put Chairot in this group too but he was a lot better last season. We'll have to see which Chairot shows up next season. The walman trade was atrocious. I don't believe that nobody wanted Walman for free. He isn't the best but he's a serviceable #4-6 type guy. If there really is truth to rumors I've heard that he'd be out all night before games, then I guess I get it. Just surprised we still wouldn't be able to get some value for him as nobody seems to know if it actually happened. The Compher, Copp signings I haven't minded. They've been pretty much what we expected. Overpaid? Yes. But they were placeholder type signings and their cap comes off the book when the aforementioned prospects should be contributing and needing new deals.

Yzerman's trading otherwise has been really good. Mostly low risk medium reward type moves. I liked the Tarasenko signing a lot. Perron leaving is addition by subtraction. That guy is useless outside of the PP bumper spot. I liked Sprong but defense is an area we have to improve on and he's doing no favors there, even if I find his defensive deficiencies to be overblown.

A lot of these next few years are going to come down how our biggest prospects develop in the nhl. If Edvinsson, Danielson, etc become legit top line/top pairing types, we're looking pretty good. If they're just more role player types that aren't any better than could be had in UFA, then we'll probably stay a middling team for a while and would need a new rebuild. We'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I don't think you're gonna find much disagreement here. Fan perception of Yzerman has completely flipped since his Tampa days.
He became GM in Tampa in 2010 and his picks took a decade to win.

Those 2 cups are all Yzerman's team build.

He's still got a few years. His picks may or may not begin to bear fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad