Steve Yzerman is not a good GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't follow Detroit much and I certainly don't have an informed opinion about Yzerman's moves. However, I will say two points about how I generally evaluate (to the extent that I do, which is limited) the work of NHL GMs:

-- I never evaluate anything until at least two full years into the GM's reign. In most cases, it takes three or four years before the "GM's team" begins to really emerge.
-- People need to stop making excuses and always focus on wins/losses and playoff appearances, because that's all that matters.

So, Yzerman has had 5 years, which should be long enough to have shown serious progress. Now, in defense of Yzerman, he inherited a pretty dreadful team with major contract issues, so it was always going to take longer than 2 or 3 years to sort all that out. And they have improved each of the past four seasons, which at least is progress.

But on the other hand, it's been half a decade, and... zero playoff games played, so that's a hard fail.

My general take would be this: Because they missed the playoffs last year -- which is a year some people thought they would/should make it --, Yzerman's status as GM right now is something like "moderate failure". I mean, this isn't a participation league -- you either win, or you're a failure. However, if the Wings have a good season in 2024-25 and just qualify for the playoffs (even if they lose 4 straight in the first round), we can surely say that Yzerman's status changes to "decent". And then if they continue to improve after that, he moves into the "moderate success" and maybe "success" categories.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
They have a 1C in Larkin, a 1W in Raymond, a 1D in Seider.

Gonna be interesting to see what Edvinsson, Bergs and Co add to the table this year and see what we've got actually cooking over there

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I swear most of you guys don't even read basic articles or interviews.
Well I am a Wings fan and read plenty of scouting reports and interviews heading into every draft especially surround our pick, so my point stands. Nobody expected Seider to get picked at 6. Feel free to post the plethora or interviews and/or articles stating otherwise. I’ll be waiting but since you are most likely a troll I doubt you’ll do it, or at most find one link from some unknown source and trumpet it as proof everyone agreed.

Reactions: FMichael

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
THREE flukes?

That statement is contradictory. Palat? Tyler Johnson? So many flukes.

SMDH
Palat was a great pick. So was Paquette, Joseph, Cirelli, Ross Colton.

The McDonaugh trade was a home run. Cernak trade as well. Signing Tyler Johnson.

The point of the matter was that he stumbled on a core of 5 superstars to build around.

You don't draft 2 time Art Ross winners at 59th overall. Vasi was a fantastic pick but they felt that Kookoek was a better pick with their first round and risked him not being there at 19.

They liked Brayden Point so much that they picked DeAngelo, Masin and MacLeod before him.

What we are seeing in Detroit is what happens when an average GM (and lets be honest they're all average) doesn't get incredibly lucky by inheriting two superstars and drafting 3 more with non lottery picks.

Tampa drafted 6 players. SIX! before Kirill Kaprizov was drafted at 135th overall in 2015. Why didn't Yzerman show his foresight with that russian superstar?

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Well I am a Wings fan and read plenty of scouting reports and interviews heading into every draft especially surround our pick, so my point stands. Nobody expected Seider to get picked at 6. Feel free to post the plethora or interviews and/or articles stating otherwise. I’ll be waiting but since you are most likely a troll I doubt you’ll do it, or at most find one link from some unknown source and trumpet it as proof everyone agreed.
Yeah at the time Seider was ranked 10-15 by most scouts hence the surprise.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Although the Red Wings are one of my favorite teams, I'm not a Red Wings fan per se, but I think Yzerman has done all right in his tenure as GM. The trades and free agent signings are sort of mid, but what else is he supposed to do to get a superstar? Blow up the team, barely hit the cap floor, and tank? That might be one way to do it, but in a hockey market like Detroit that probably wouldn't go over so well. If a few of their prospects that we've been hearing so much about (like Edvinsson) pan out, look out. How is a team like New Jersey somehow a success story while Detroit is mediocre in the last five years? The Devils made the playoffs once in the last five years and didn't have the poor lottery luck the Red Wings did. In a couple years, the quality of Yzerman's work will begin to form into shape as success or failure. I'm thinking it'll be considered a mild success at that point.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's factually true, nobody else will say it because It's Yzerman but it is the reality of the situation.

The man has been GM in Detroit since April 19 2019, and in that time the team has played in a grand total of 0 playoff games and let's be honest they don't look they are making it next year either, in fact they look like they took a step back.

Other than possibly replacing Perron with Tarasenko NOTHING Yzerman did this off season was good.

Trading Wallman and a 2nd literally for free, and then not replacing him was an awful choice.

Signing Jack Campbell and Cam Talbot was an awful choice because all it does is create a logjam in net, and yeah I know Campbell is probably going to be in the AHL but that still leaves you with 3 goaltenders that all expect NHL minutes and you can't give NHL minutes to 3 goalies that all know they are at least backups at this point.

Yeah there is a couple good draft picks in there and I know people will point that out but again those picks have led to 0 playoff games.

If it were any other GM in any other city, in any other sport and that GM missed the playoffs for 5 straight years that GM would get fired.

But It's Yzerman and Detroit so it won't happen but his track record is his track record he's missed the playoffs for 5 straight years, the team has missed the playoffs for 8 straight years, their goaltending is a mess, their defense is an overall mess, their forwards are OK.

If this team misses the playoffs again and they look like they it will be their 9th straight year and Yzerman 6th.

At what point do you stop living in denial and admit Yzerman has done a shit job?

Yzerman inherited a crater when he returned. Dylan Larkin was the only top end player he had when he arrived here. There were also many bad contracts he had to either wait out or move, which took the first 2-3 seasons of his return. He has been back for 5 seasons, 2-3 waiting out the aforementioned. All of the young players in the pipeline turned mostly into duds (Zadina) or disappointments like Rasmussen or Veleno. Since he returned the Wings have dropped or stayed where they were in the draft lottery, and he came out with 2 of the better Top 5 picks in many recent drafts in Seider and Raymond.

We didn't get lucky and get a Matthews, Marner, McDavid level all-star like some teams when we were bottoming out, which makes any rebuild Detroit or any other team have a much harder time getting back to relevancy. Not all his moves were good, but most have been good or great, minus Holl and Copp. Campbell creates no logjam as very unlikely he beats any of Lyon, Husso or Talbot for the 2 spots in Detroit.

This is also hilarious coming from a Leafs fan, who picked up two of the better players drafted in quick succession and have gotten to the 2nd round, let's see, oh that is right, ONCE! Maybe worry how your team fails every year and never changes its main core of players.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Avs went from 48 points to Cup champs in five years. How many more years does Yzerman need?

They also had MacKinnon, Landeskog and Rantanen on their team already and got lucky that Makar is as good as he is. When we went from 1st to 4th we got Raymond who is really good, but we didn't luck ourselves into a Makar. Larkin is the only player even in the realm of what Colorado had when they finished with 48 pts. Just having no Makar and the Avs easily don't win the Cup they did win.

It's been 5 years for Yzerman, and 8 years overall, there comes a point where the only progress is playoffs, Detroit is at that point, how many years does Yzerman get before you see there has been no progress?

My team was in the same position, they made little to no progress for 5 years and then they fired the guy responsible for that, and now there is a relatively new GM, a brand new coach and we will see what happens.

At some point you have to be held responsible and Yzerman hasn't been It's all excuses.

This thread is about Yzerman, so 8 (3 additional) years without playoffs has nothing to do with Yzerman.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Patience, my young padawan. No prospects, trash core, bad contracts. Rebuild takes time. Can't rush this shit. You young people want everything NOW, that's your problem. Detroit already won a few. Had a playoff streak of 25 years or something. It's their turn to suck for a while. Steve is trying to recreate the winning culture of those Lidstrom-led teams. A year from now, they will be contenders once again.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Lots of teams do it namely, Colorado from 2017-2022, Pittsburgh from 2004-2009

Vegas was winning from literally day 1, I mean I don't expect that from Yzerman.

But yeah It's been done several times

You are pathetic. Pittsburgh got Crosby and Malkin back to back, on top of 2 or 3 other really good young players which equals about the best draft luck in NHL history. If Pittsburgh didn't win at least a couple of Cups from those two then they would be the biggest fail in NHL history. Colorado had MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog already on the team ready to go by 2017 and then got really lucky that Makar smashed it out of the park.

Try to read, the Wings had Larkin only when Yzerman came back. The rest of the players he inherited were mostly not great and certainly not game changers.

The Pens without either Crosby or Malkin maybe have 1 Cup, certainly not 3, and Colorado doesn't win the Cup if they didn't get fortunate that Makar was so good. Yzerman has had a 4th overall as his highest pick during the past 5 seasons of drafting for Detroit. Any of the teams that are doing better in rebuilds had at least 1 Top 1-2 pick and some of them have had multiple first overalls.

2017 is used because it is the 48 point season that's about as low as it gets.

Yzerman never started with a team THAT bad.

We were literally on pace to beat that record during one of the Covid seasons, because Holland left a train wreck team. We then dropped to 4th in the draft as a reward. Difference is we got Raymond (good), and not Makar (great).

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Vancouver fans are hardly objective and incredibly defensive. Pot/Kettle
People who criticize Vancouver fans are softly detached and incredibly...hmm...we'll go with pissy little bitches?

Yzerman has been "ok" as a GM. That's really about it. If he didn't have his player pedigree and his success in Tampa and was just judged on his "no name" results he would be crucified as a shit GM. If Detroit was his first stint as a GM he would have been fired a while ago.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I swear most of you guys don't even read basic articles or interviews.

Seider was a reach at 6, even the people discussing it during the draft said a few MAYBE had him at 8, and a number of others had him in the 15-23 range. Detroit and Edmonton were the only ones who were known to have him that high and Edmonton was because Holland had taken over for them at that point. He was not ranked 6th going into that night.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Prospects: Sandin-Pellikka, Kasper, Danielson, Brandsegg-Nygård, Cossa, Augustine, Mazur, Wallinder, Söderblom, Johansson, Plante

I get the criticism of some individual moves, but overall that's really solid especially given their lack of top draft picks.
That’s a pretty “just average” prospect group for a team that’s missed the playoffs 5 times in his tenure.

A lot of that are players who were taken earlier than they should have (Danielsson), players who have stalled or haven’t progressed as originally projected (Kasper, Wallinder, Soderblom), and some decent but no blue chip talent (Brandsegg-Nygard, Augustine, ASP).

It’s decent but Detroit lacks a franchise talent. Perhaps Detroit gets lucky and one of these players turns into one, my bet being MBN. But missing the playoffs for 8 years, not exactly having a true franchise talent is rough.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If we re going by that logic only Florida has a good core.

31 teams don't win the cup.

But not all 31 teams miss the playoffs every year but Detroit does

Yeah, Toronto with a much better team always makes it 1 round and then says buh-bye!. They are the master class on how to get it done.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If you year after year since being hired make your team better, improve in wins and points, and move up the standings is that a failure? According to some of you, yes.

You can argue about prospects, that's legitimate until you actually know how guys turn out but he has built up the pool of young talent, hasn't really traded away any picks. The real answer to this question is years away but any one who isn't being eristic can see they have taken a step forward every. single. year.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, Toronto with a much better team always makes it 1 round and then says buh-bye!. They are the master class on how to get it done.

When have I ever called Toronto a master class?

I've said the opposite od that.

The difference is they got rid of the people who failed for 5 straight years.

One of them is in Pittsburgh making a bad situation worse by trading top 15 picks for 35 year old D men.

The other is the worst coach in the NHL, he's about to get carried to the playoffs by elite talent and then whoever he's coaching against come playoff timewill coach circles around him because they always do, he NEVER makes adjustments.

You have NO IDEA how badly I want a Toronto VS NJ playoff series.

But regardless difference is they fired Dubas and Keefe because they failed for 5 straight years.

I don't know if It's going to work under Treliving and Berube that remains to be seen.

But I do know it didn't work under Dubas and Keefe so they got fired and rightly so.

Yzerman has accomplished even less in Detroit than Dubas and Keefe did in Toronto, but yet Yzerman job is safe.

Why? the truth is It's because he's Steve Yzerman and he's GM in Detroit, nobody is going to fire him in Detroit he's an icon there.

Anybody else in any other sport would be fired after 5 straight years of no playoffs.

Not Yzerman, not in Detroit.

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If you year after year since being hired make your team better, improve in wins and points, and move up the standings is that a failure? According to some of you, yes.

You can argue about prospects, that's legitimate until you actually know how guys turn out but he has built up the pool of young talent, hasn't really traded away any picks. The real answer to this question is years away but any one who isn't being erisitc can see they have taken a step forward every. single. year.

I think there comes a point where the only progress is playoffs and I think Detroit has reached that point.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When have I ever called Toronto a master class?

I've said the opposite od that.

The difference is they got rid of the people who failed for 5 straight years.

One of them is in Pittsburgh making a bad situation worse by trading top 15 picks for 35 year old D men.

The other is the worst coach in the NHL, he's about to get carried to the playoffs by elite talent and then whoever he's coaching against come playoff timewill coach circles around him because they always do, he NEVER makes adjustments.

You have NO IDEA how badly I want a Toronto VS NJ playoff series.

But regardless difference is they fired Dubas and Keefe because they failed for 5 straight years.

I don't know if It's going to work under Treliving and Berube that remains to be seen.

But I do know it didn't work under Dubas and Keefe so they got fired and rightly so.

Yzerman has accomplished even less in Detroit than Dubas and Keefe did in Toronto, but yet Yzerman job is safe.

Why? the truth is It's because he's Steve Yzerman and he's GM in Detroit, nobody is going to fire him in Detroit he's an icon there.

Anybody else in any other sport would be fired after 5 straight years of no playoffs.

Not Yzerman, not in Detroit.

Dubas did nothing in Toronto and neither did Keefe. Losing in the 1st round with the talent they have is as sad as it gets. They also didn't change whats failed. Matthews and Marner have both been pretty disappointing in the playoffs and nowhere near good enough and they are still there, as is Tavares and Nylander and Rielly. They are brought up because you are foolishly attacking another team eventhough about 85% of the thread posters have told you how wrong you are. You are then calling Yzerman's failure a fact, again with everyone else telling you that you are wrong, which makes it nowhere near fact!

Reactions: Laus723

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dubas did nothing in Toronto and neither did Keefe. Losing in the 1st round with the talent they have is as sad as it gets. They also didn't change whats failed. Matthews and Marner have both been pretty disappointing in the playoffs and nowhere near good enough and they are still there, as is Tavares and Nylander and Rielly. They are brought up because you are foolishly attacking another team eventhough about 85% of the thread posters have told you how wrong you are. You are then calling Yzerman's failure a fact, again with everyone else telling you that you are wrong, which makes it nowhere near fact!

85% of people don't believe in facts, when you are a GM and you miss the playoffs for 5 straight years you are a failure that's an undisputed fact.

But again Yzerman won't get fired because nobody in Detroitis going to fire the greatest Red Wing to ever live next to Gordie Howe It's not going to happen he's an icon in Detroit he will be there as long as he wants, and when he moves on it will be painted as HIS call.

He's invincible in Detroit

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That’s a pretty “just average” prospect group for a team that’s missed the playoffs 5 times in his tenure.

A lot of that are players who were taken earlier than they should have (Danielsson), players who have stalled or haven’t progressed as originally projected (Kasper, Wallinder, Soderblom), and some decent but no blue chip talent (Brandsegg-Nygard, Augustine, ASP).

It’s decent but Detroit lacks a franchise talent. Perhaps Detroit gets lucky and one of these players turns into one, my bet being MBN. But missing the playoffs for 8 years, not exactly having a true franchise talent is rough.
Some do rank it higher as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad