Confirmed with Link: Steve Mears to replace Jeff Rimer as CBJ TV Play by Play Voice

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

@Viqsi - This hire was for you!!!

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
He's fine, don't love his goal calls (maybe its the slightly nasally voice) but as long as he can get the players names right and doesn't trip over himself it's a huge step up from the past few years.

I do have a couple questions though: after being the Pens TV PBP voice for six years, why was he doing radio last year? Was it a demotion...did the Pens want someone better? What's the story? Are we just picking up the Pens scraps?

And this isn't me being upset that BobbyMac didn't get the job. I listened to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers radio guy that interviewed for the job and I liked what I heard from him.

I do wonder what BobbyMac does now. Is he happy staying as the radio PBP voice (I hope so because I like listening to him on the radio)? Clearly he was interested in the promotion since he interviewed for the gig. Does he look harder at other open positions since the path to a TV gig in Columbus is likely not realistic in the near future?

Last edited:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I know those are his “highlights” so in theory won’t contain any “bad” calls/mistakes of his, but seems like he has good voice, tone, description, and the enthusiasm for the OT goals / wins seemed appropriate. Maybe he could’ve had slightly more energy on some of the regular goals, but idk, seems fine/good to me?

Definitely prefer Mears over Bob based on that. I pretty much know nothing about the Isles guy.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJx614

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I do have a couple questions though: after being the Pens TV PBP voice for six years, why was he doing radio last year? Was it a demotion...did the Pens want someone better? What's the story? Are we just picking up the Pens scraps?
Had the same questions after seeing his experience listed.

Reactions: CBJx614

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
He's fine, don't love his goal calls (maybe its the slightly nasally voice) but as long as he can get the players names right and doesn't trip over himself it's a huge step up from the past few years.

And this isn't me being upset that BobbyMac didn't get the job. I listened to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers radio guy that interviewed for the job and I liked what I heard from him.

I do wonder what BobbyMac does now. Is he happy staying as the radio PBP voice (I hope so because I like listening to him on the radio)? Clearly he was interested in the promotion since he interviewed for the gig. Does he look harder at other open positions since the path to a TV gig in Columbus is likely not realistic in the near future?
or Bucci?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Here’s a whole game highlight (you also get to watch us get blasted by Pittsburgh) with his calls. One game but he seems fine to me. I remember him doing some world juniors games as well.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad