Steady decline in youth hockey participation in Canada raises concerns about the future of sport

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
YES on the first sentence. NO on the second.

I did a related study comparing USA and Canada for 18U AAA. It was about flat for Canada since COVID except for 23/24 where it dropped off by 6 teams, just like you're saying. But...

Trend is down in Canada though. The increase since COVID is still below last year before COVID, so from 2013 peak it is going straight down. It's only recovering from COVID but overall going down.

The problem is cost. We Financialized everything on the planet by increasing money supply to the point where few people who received that money bid up prices for most of the people, and grinded expensive sports to a slowdown, and if it keeps going, to a halt. So naturally people started doing something else and to be exact: something cheaper.

Look what happened to back country skiing. I have not seen so many people wondering through mountains in the winter. All expensive sports will die off. That's literally how it works. Even capitalism undoes itself. You're not being poor to play those sports, you are being robbed.

I actually believe we don't need NHL, Hockey USA, or Hockey Canada. I think we need independent cheap amateur hockey like back in the day, where kids are not over coached, but do it for fun.
Ya , I wasn’t referring to AAA solely, I was using hockey Canada registration numbers for everyone.

But looks like we kinda agree. I think.
Registration keeps going up every year from Covid., I posted the numbers somewhere, from HC.
But hasn’t got back to its peak yet.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Now post all the regular season NHL games vs NBA games. All the non-Leafs/Canadiens ones that happen on the weekdays. I'm in the BOH section too. We all saw the poor ratings for the Jets, Flames, Senators vs the NBA and even the CFL at points. But...this is about youth hockey, which is in decline. Wether you want to admit it or not.
We know NBA is worse than hockey viewership, I’m not reposting the numbers again lol.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hockey is too expensive, but it can’t be just the cost.
How many kids play pond hockey these days? All one needs is a stick and skates.
I bet the numbers are a mere fraction compared to my youth. Too many other things for kids to do nowadays.
I agree. Cost is most definitely an issue but it's more than that.

When I was a kid we played neighborhood pickup hockey, football, and baseball. All the time. And we weren't alone. Drive through any little town like where I grew up and you'd always see groups of kids playing some sport. After school, weekends, school break, summer, etc, etc.

I honestly can't remember the last time I drove by a group of unsupervised kids playing a pickup game of anything.

And I'm not judging -- just observing that there has big a massive change.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

When I was a kid we played neighborhood pickup hockey, football, and baseball. All the time. And we weren't alone. Drive through any little town like where I grew up and you'd always see groups of kids playing some sport. After school, weekends, school break, summer, etc, etc.

I honestly can't remember the last time I drove by a group of unsupervised kids playing a pickup game of anything.

kids now a days just want to be youtube streamers

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Travel/elite teams put pressure on kids to play year round and ignore local/rec. Kids see no practicality to playing rec long term because what do you do with it? For instance, youth lacrosse where I am you’d struggle to simply make your HS varsity team if you just played rec competition your whole life. Theres no good players left at local level. So either you’re really good, really rich, or eventually you quit. Lacrosse is a “growth sport” that saw negative participation.

All sports going this way- hockey is just happening faster because it’s a bigger pain with ice and more expensive.

It’s expensive. Who can easier afford it?

Add in specialization and year round participation with travel teams. It gets even more expensive but even more importantly- Who can easier get their kids to rink and tourneys and have a flexible schedule without sacrificing pay? It’s not shift workers or junior employees.

There’s just not a ton of people that can support that lifestyle for 2+ kids for a decade +. I coached the equivalent of AAA hockey in lacrosse for better part of a decade and the people who had parents that were “only” upper middle class were far and few. Most were very wealthy. Hockey is even more expensive.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I was working a youth hockey tournament last summer in the state I live run by an NHL official. He told me a story suggesting to Bettman for the NHL to buy the manufacturing companies that produce the hockey equipment (like MLB owning Rawlings) to make it cheaper and easier for kids to get them. Bettman response was “Why would we do that?” So I don’t expect the NHL to be a force to help or fix the cost of youth hockey.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010

It's certainly isn't as prevalent as when I was growing up 30 years ago, but I still see kids playing pick up games of hockey, soccer and basketball in my neighborhood. That said 80% of the kids my son plays hockey with have shooting set ups in their basement or garages.

I think the big reason numbers are down on hockey is the associated costs outside of the regular hockey season. Parents believe if there kid is going to be successful in have to do spring hockey, summer hockey, power skating camps, off ice training etc. Which is probably another reasons kids don't play as much road hockey.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It's certainly isn't as prevalent as when I was growing up 30 years ago, but I still see kids playing pick up games of hockey, soccer and basketball in my neighborhood. That said 80% of the kids my son plays hockey with have shooting set ups in their basement or garages.

I think the big reason numbers are down on hockey is the associated costs outside of the regular hockey season. Parents believe if there kid is going to be successful in have to do spring hockey, summer hockey, power skating camps, off ice training etc. Which is probably another reasons kids don't play as much road hockey.
That's really good to hear. IMO such an awesome experience in life. Make your own fun, manage arguments over rules, have an endless supply of funny stories with friends, etc.

Sadly you see it less and less where I am. Hope our area is the anomaly.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
thats where the tv / ruling class led them to . mean while the parents that care about their kids dont weild the power of the tv which has taken over the kids 'up bringing' from the parents . THE TV IS AN EXTREMELY POWERFUL DEVICE OF MANIPULATION N CONTROL
Not to go too off the rails, but the internet and social media are infinitely more to blame than television when it comes to how young people are being shaped and how they form their views. Social media is the spawn of the devil and the downfall of humanity.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Social media is the spawn of the devil and the downfall of humanity.

Meanwhile on a web forum..

1718746469085.jpeg

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I generally don't think much of the analysis of the NHL business decisions, but there's one area I think they are less than wise to not invest more resources into and that's youth hockey. It seems like it's the only real way to get a huge growth and makeup ground on the other sports eclipsing it. The cost and time commitment are immense.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Oh believe me, I’m aware of the irony. I’m also aware of the vast differences of this site vs a Facebook, twitter, instagram.
Even notice how social media has affected online multiplayer, adventure, questing games. People used to play these even if they didn't care for the game so much, because it was a way to socialize and cure a sense of loneliness. Or meet people from across the planet, which was a novel experience to be exposed to different cultures.

Now with a dedicated social media, people aren't playing games to meet people like they used to... the players are far more task focused, and what used to be called strangers, aka potential friends, are now referred to as "randoms" with derision as if other players are just an inconvenience. There are still places for people to get together and play, but these are so inorganic, fairly similar to taking a class of some kind in real life to try and meet people. Before it was more like a "pick-up" game of hockey where you might make a friend. Or talking to somebody standing in line and making a friend. By pure circumstance.

I think social media has exposed us to so many humans at once, more than was ever possible in history. This overexposure has reduced how much we appreciate the people around us and the little connections we used to make with complete strangers. Experiments on mice showed that as the community's population increased, mice had less and less acts of empathy displayed for other mice. Now with the illusion of 1,000+ friends on social media, and youtuber friends and families, humans might be acting like those mice.

Forums like this one, I agree are different. We are anonymous. There is no weird competition for attention or whatever here. Sure there are trolls who act like a character out of a comedy, because they are bored, but I think it's a bit more silly than malicious when names are not involved.

Last edited:

ACLEVERNAME

#OFFSEASON
Jan 6, 2010
The local fields (soccer and baseball) situated at schools or public parks are almost always empty during the week. Don't know if organizations have moved more towards those 'sports parks' that have been opening up more frequently but it's sad to see it move away from the simple locations. My parent's street use to be littered with cars parked for the field and diamond down the street. Empty park now. Did everyone move or are even the 'cheaper' summer sports dwindling in participation?

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
As a dad of a young son and young daughter I can tell you it’s not just hockey that has a problem. The professionalization of all youth sports and activities is out of control.

It breaks two directions but if your kid is somewhat talented you are kind of f***ed if they want to go “competitive”. They don’t even have to be talented in some activities for the cash grab.

My buddies daughter was good at fastball and got “monotracked” 10-12 thousand a year later (before parents travel) and 11 month a year commitment from when she was 13 on. My daughter is decent at Gymanastics but started late…..even then the grind is still on as she has gone up a few levels and now its 3 days a week x 4.5 hours per practice session and $5000 before travel. Don’t get me started on the for profit world of “Dance or Cheer”

Hockey you can put your kid in “house” and it’s generally about $1500 max plus equipment, one practice and one game per week.

There is no cheap sport if you are talented because they have found a way turn them all into for profit businesses. AAA hockey if you want to go full bells and whistles can get really pricy but so can any sport if your kid is good enough.

It’s all a problem but there are usually cheaper options if kids want to play for fun only.
Thanks for this post; it is dead on - I see this affect kids nonstop working in education.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That's really good to hear. IMO such an awesome experience in life. Make your own fun, manage arguments over rules, have an endless supply of funny stories with friends, etc.

Sadly you see it less and less where I am. Hope our area is the anomaly.

Its not unfortunately. I see pick up basketball games only. Everything else
are organized games.

You would think with the popularity of female sports there would be a little more but nothing boys\girls except hoop. Even that is hit or miss.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Its not unfortunately. I see pick up basketball games only. Everything else
are organized games.

You would think with the popularity of female sports there would be a little more but nothing boys\girls except hoop. Even that is hit or miss.
Looking for the "agree and don't like" button.

Some of my fondest memories are playing pick up hockey in the morning in my neighborhood, then skating across the reservoir to play a game in a different part of town, then skate across the reservoir..........

We'd do it all day long -- then build a bonfire at end of day and chill out. Then go home. My parents never had to ask where we were -- I looked like I'd skated all day, smelled like bonfire, ate, and went right to bed just to do it all over again the next day. Happy days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad