Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Actually that reminds me, I watched the presentation and I wonder how long Bettman's going to be able to do that for. He was noticeably worse than I've seen him when he's been on TV recently.

Would have been rather funny if McJesus came out and actually hoisted the thing over his head while skating a lap around the rink.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Would have been rather funny if McJesus came out and actually hoisted the thing over his head while skating a lap around the rink.
1719438998021.jpeg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
MacK was on a stacked roster and McDavid was damn near his whole team.
How does that changes what Nate did in game 6 vs Tampa? He was responsible for tying and winning the game. McDavid was one game away from winning the cup and his team was only down by one just like Avs were vs Tampa, but he couldn’t do anything to at least tie the game and give his team a chance to win the cup

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The difference between MacK and McDavid is MacK scores a huge game tying goal and assists on a game winning goal in a cup final close out game, McDavid does nothing
The difference is also MacK gets shut down harder by Chris Tanev than I do by Polish girls at the bar.

Actually that's a lie. MacK had a little bit of success vs Tanev. More than I do with the Polish ladies

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man, did I check out on hockey since the Avs lost.

I kept seeing how McDavid was putting on a historic performance in the playoffs, and I still couldn't bring myself to watch hockey. Even the game 7 in the finals, I just couldn't find the motivation.

Bummer McDavid didn't win. I hate when star players don't win a Cup and what a hell of a run he had.

Hope Nate was taking notes on how he stepped up and gets motivated by it. Really not sure what was up with him in the playoffs this year. Maybe some kind of weird adrenaline dump after his regular season, combined with perhaps Drouin getting hurt, and also knowing Landy might not come back again sapped his motivation.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, did I check out on hockey since the Avs lost.

I kept seeing how McDavid was putting on a historic performance in the playoffs, and I still couldn't bring myself to watch hockey. Even the game 7 in the finals, I just couldn't find the motivation.

Bummer McDavid didn't win. I hate when star players don't win a Cup and what a hell of a run he had.

Hope Nate was taking notes on how he stepped up and gets motivated by it. Really not sure what was up with him in the playoffs this year. Maybe some kind of weird adrenaline dump after his regular season, combined with perhaps Drouin getting hurt, and also knowing Landy might not come back again sapped his motivation.
To me it was simple: he got overplayed. He and Rantanen played more than any other forward in the league. For example:

MacKinnon averaged 22:49 during the regular season while McDavid averaged 21:22. Over an 82 game season MacKinnon plays on average 5 extra games.

Then in the playoffs he averaged 1:37 more than McDavid.

McDavid even missed 6 games during the regular season, so it's like MacKinnon played an extra 11 games compared to #97 by the time the playoffs rolled around, then he would have been playing more than him during the playoffs.

I use McDavid because he's the closest comparable IMO to a superstar re: usage by a head coach (at least in the past) and even he was playing less than Nate. Come Dallas series, MacKinnon was cooked. He was clearly out of gas and we noticed it.

Bednar needs to be f***ing reamed out by management and it should be demanded of him that he does not exhaust his top stars next year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To me it was simple: he got overplayed. He and Rantanen played more than any other forward in the league. For example:

MacKinnon averaged 22:49 during the regular season while McDavid averaged 21:22. Over an 82 game season MacKinnon plays on average 5 extra games.

Then in the playoffs he averaged 1:37 more than McDavid.

McDavid even missed 6 games during the regular season, so it's like MacKinnon played an extra 11 games compared to #97 by the time the playoffs rolled around, then he would have been playing more than him during the playoffs.

I use McDavid because he's the closest comparable IMO to a superstar re: usage by a head coach (at least in the past) and even he was playing less than Nate. Come Dallas series, MacKinnon was cooked. He was clearly out of gas and we noticed it.

Bednar needs to be f***ing reamed out by management and it should be demanded of him that he does not exhaust his top stars next year.

Perhaps, and I'm sure that didn't help, but that doesn't explain how Nate looked entirely different in all the regular season games, even at the end of the regular season. Then he had a few days off.

IMO it was mental not physical. We've seen this before with him. He's a very temperamental guy. When he's got something bothering him, he looks exactly the way he did, and he's much less effective.

What you say could relate to the adrenaline dump, for lack of a better term, that I was referring to though with his outstanding regular season, and his first 50 goals.

It's natural for your motivation to dip a bit after you accomplish a big goal. I think he could have flipped the switch back on quicker though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Perhaps, and I'm sure that didn't help, but that doesn't explain how Nate looked entirely different in all the regular season games, even at the end of the regular season. Then he had a few days off.

IMO it was mental not physical. We've seen this before with him. He's a very temperamental guy. When he's got something bothering him, he looks exactly the way he did, and he's much less effective.

What you say could relate to the adrenaline dump, for lack of a better term, that I was referring to though with his outstanding regular season, and his first 50 goals.

It's natural for your motivation to dip a bit after you accomplish a big goal. I think he could have flipped the switch back on quicker though.
Perhaps. I think the Drouin injury clearly affected him, but even upon Drouin's return to the lineup for games 4, 5 and 6 he looked like he would rather be anywhere else in the world. You would think he would be like a firecracker getting to play his first ever playoff games with one of his best friends.

He and Rantanen looked exhausted by the end. I actually think MacKinnon playing all 82 games worked against him last year. The last 4 seasons when he missed time due to injury he never had the lackluster playoff showing the way he did this past season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Perhaps. I think the Drouin injury clearly affected him, but even upon Drouin's return to the lineup for games 4, 5 and 6 he looked like he would rather be anywhere else in the world. You would think he would be like a firecracker getting to play his first ever playoff games with one of his best friends.

He and Rantanen looked exhausted by the end. I actually think MacKinnon playing all 82 games worked against him last year. The last 4 seasons when he missed time due to injury he never had the lackluster playoff showing the way he did this past season.
Drouin didn't look worse or more tired than anyone else. They were all in the same boat.

Everyone was stuck in a game plan that cleary wasn't working against Dallas and they kept pushing and pushing and pushing until exhaustion. The whole team was dead at the end.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Drouin didn't look worse or more tired than anyone else. They were all in the same boat.

Everyone was stuck in a game plan that cleary wasn't working against Dallas and they kept pushing and pushing and pushing until exhaustion. The whole team was dead at the end.
Drouin didn't play nearly as many minutes as MacKinnon did this year.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Yeah but Nate has a cup and McDavid still doesn’t

MacKinnon is seen as at least a Top 3 player in the world. There is a good chance he takes home a hart this season.

His regular season was an all time performance. His playoffs? Average at best.....

Edmontons D and Goalie is average too good, compared to your team. And still they went all the way....

I expect way more from our core (or stars).

I am all for changes on our coaching staff, btw....Not Bednar, but change something on our assistant coaches. Bring in some new and younger blood with some new ideas. Just my 2 cents.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
How does that changes what Nate did in game 6 vs Tampa? He was responsible for tying and winning the game. McDavid was one game away from winning the cup and his team was only down by one just like Avs were vs Tampa, but he couldn’t do anything to at least tie the game and give his team a chance to win the cup
McDavid is the only reason Edmonton made it to the SCF and to a game 7. I'd have to look at the voting but MacK was probably 3rd on the Avs for MVP that run.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
McDavid is the only reason Edmonton made it to the SCF and to a game 7. I'd have to look at the voting but MacK was probably 3rd on the Avs for MVP that run.
McDavid wasn’t all that great vs the Nucks. He was good vs the Kings ok vs Dallas and 2 games vs Florida where he scored 8 points in those 2 games, but when his team needed him the most, he was a ghost

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The difference is also MacK gets shut down harder by Chris Tanev than I do by Polish girls at the bar.

Actually that's a lie. MacK had a little bit of success vs Tanev. More than I do with the Polish ladies
I once told a Polish girl that I root for the team that employed Wojtek Wolski, and let's just say there was plenty of szymankowszczyzna afterward

• Haha
Reactions: The Moops

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Proof that the main playoff issue was the gameplan.

The team had a week off before the series and looked dead tired. It's not because Mack played too much in the regular season.
The bottom six guys did not look exhausted in the Dallas series - they just didn't play.

The top guys played more than anyone else in the league. Yeah, it was because they played too much. Eventually it catches up to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad