Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Chet, come on. The point of every single game played, is to win.
If you are being technical, sure. But no gives a shit how many regular season games you win as long as you make the playoffs.

Regular season isn't purely about winning, it's win enough to ensure that you get a chance in the playoffs.

The awards for regular season should be awarded to the player that deserves them the most. Personally I wouldn't want to see the Hart Trophy go to a player on the last place team, because how valuable are you, if your team finished dead last. But if they were by far and away the best player during the regular season then I guess they deserve it.

The MVP of the playoffs should be viewed differently, the only goal of the playoffs is to win the Cup. How are you the MVP of the playoffs if you didn't accomplish the only goal, winning? The answer is you're not the MVP if you didn't accomplish the task of winning the Cup.

This isn't McDavid hate, I didn't like it when JSG won either. You didn't win the Cup, you're not the MVP. IMO it cheapens the award when you give it to someone who lost.

Reactions: pont

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
You can present a very good argument that if Bobrovsky lost the CS in games 4 through 6, McDavid lost it in games 6 and 7...Thus, Barkov should have been CS.
not really... Bob's overall body of work dropped off from all time great performances with those games. McDavid's per game stats dropped off a bit but his body of work was still amongst all time greats.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You can present a very good argument that if Bobrovsky lost the CS in games 4 through 6, McDavid lost it in games 6 and 7...Thus, Barkov should have been CS.
The Smythe is based on the whole playoffs though. Mcdavids entire playoffs was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Bobs entire playoffs. So not really.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
As a Finn this Florida win feels so good. Woke up before 3 f***ing AM to cheer for our guys, and for all the shit Bettman deserves, I'm glad he brought the main thing up before handing the cup to Barkov! FROM FINLAND MOFOS

The boy bread and brewed by my home town team Luostarinen made the block of a lifetime at the end minutes in a sequence where Bob was already on his back and the net wide open.

I actually cried tears of joy this morning watching them raise the cup. Outside of the Avs and the Finnish national team this was the first other one (as my home town team KalPa never won anything). Cheers forever for that Cats!
this brings up an important point -- where is Sir Avgard, hockey professor, now that a team with nothing but Finnish players has won the Stanley Cup?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Manson to Utah (they have no defensemen under contract)

Colton to BUF for 2nd + prospect.

Re-sign Drouin, Walker, and a 3LD.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Decided I was going to avoid the internet and watch game 7 when I get home today, but the final managed to warrant a mention in the free paper on the train so I've had it spoiled.

Still. Haha.

Reactions: The Moops

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
The 2024 Stanley Cup Champions played their season to perfection, coming through right when they needed to and showing once and for all that they're Canada's team and bringing Canada's greatest prize back to the homeland?
I didn't know Florida was in Canada. This site is very educational!

Reactions: The Moops

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Manson to Utah (they have no defensemen under contract)

Colton to BUF for 2nd + prospect.

Re-sign Drouin, Walker, and a 3LD.
Manson does have a M-NTC, 12 teams on his list. I am sure the Coyotes, and now Utah is on this list. Sure, they can ask hom to waive, but i am also sure he will say "no, thank you".

Colton has also a NTC. I dont know exactly of what nature of when it kicks in, or has kicked in, to be honest. But i guess BUffalo will be on his list.........

Interesting days ahead.....

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I didn't know Florida was in Canada. This site is very educational!
You're saying... the 2024 Edmonton Oilers did not win the Stanley Cup?

1719411922808.png

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Even though Sammy G played well in the playoffs and once he came back out of the players' assistance program, I wouldn't mind the Avs moving on from him.

A Sammy G - Mario Ferraro swap would save us almost $2M against the cap.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Even though Sammy G played well in the playoffs and once he came back out of the players' assistance program, I wouldn't mind the Avs moving on from him.

A Sammy G - Mario Ferraro swap would save us almost $2M against the cap.
That’s about the only scenario it makes sense to move Girard in. Even then… losing Girards transition game would suck a lot for our backend.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That’s about the only scenario it makes sense to move Girard in. Even then… losing Girards transition game would suck a lot for our backend.
The secret sauce for the Avs has always been puck moving D. If you replace Girard with someone, it better not be a worse player.

Girard really is on an amazing contract for what he brings to the table. I'd rather pinch from the forwards, or hell even Manson if it really comes down to it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't know if I would call his contract amazing. I think it's fine, not excess value but not negative value either.
What I meant is that if he were to enter free agency now, he would get over 6mil per. Easily. So I do think we are well on the part of that contract where it's good value for us.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The secret sauce for the Avs has always been puck moving D. If you replace Girard with someone, it better not be a worse player.

Girard really is on an amazing contract for what he brings to the table. I'd rather pinch from the forwards, or hell even Manson if it really comes down to it.
Ferraro is quite good tbf. Now he’s not capable of the 1D role he has been in SJ, but he’d look great here on the 2nd pair here.

But would the defense and team as a whole work as well without Girard… I would agree with you. Especially with how he played this year in the playoffs, I just don’t see him being very expendable.

Reactions: Bender

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know if I would call his contract amazing. I think it's fine, not excess value but not negative value either.
Yeah, DNVR did some analysis and according to them, Sammy's deal brings a little excess value but not that much. Unfortunately for him to bring more value there'd have to be more offense.

That's a bit of an issue right now with that Girard-Manson pairing. Right now it's MANSON doing a lot of the freewheeling puckmoving shit and it really should be Sammy doing that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
G's offense need to come back around. Part of that had been a bit of Byram and him sharing that ES role over the years... but G's offense was pretty lacking the 2nd half of the season even after Byram was moved. I think Manson is more of the issue on that pairing, but G needs to have a good season this year for the Avs to have a lot of success.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad