Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
To this day, I have less than full liver function thanks to the Avs holding on to that lead.
I painted an entire living room wall including trim during that period. Only a few spatters on the floor, but I left them there because they remind me of happy days. Also stressful minutes.

Reactions: avsfan09

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
But ... none of the big scorers had good playoffs this year, did they? I kinda stopped paying attention to stuff (including this board, so my apologies if this has been discussed). Kucherov, Mackinnon, Panarin, Pastrnak, Rantanen, Mcdrai, whoever, it wasn't just one team who suffered from their top scorers going flat.
Yup, that’s why a team with the most depth is gonna win the cup

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
@The Mars Volchenkov's posting about Evan Rodrigues got me wondering how many former Avalanche players have gone on to win cups, because I couldn't think of any besides him. So I checked.

2021 - Spencer Martin
2020 - Kevin Shattenkirk
2015 - Kyle Cumiskey
2012 - Brad Richardson
2007 - Brad May
2004 - Dave Andreychuk, Nolan Pratt
2000 - Claude Lemieux
1999 - Mike Keane

Not really much to cheer for over the years. Rodrigues is probably the most impactful out of those. He seemed nice enough. Good for him.
Chris Dingman, 2x Stanley Cup Champion
Ducks legend Teemu Selanne – the numbers don't lie – Orange County Register

Think you missed these two...Dingman won with Tampa in 04 with Andreychuk. Teemu got his in 07.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The have a year before me those extensions hit, so one more run with some space. It isn’t infrequent that the best team during a window doesn’t actually win a Cup. You’re fooling yourself if you think Edmonton is just going to fold up and be bad next year. The have some cap space to work with and some flexibility to get more. 2 seasons from now will be tough most certainly.
Yeah, clearly that's what I said. :thumbd:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The contract issues you raised don’t apply for next year.
I know that but there STILL has to be a plan going forward.

They probably need to re-up draisailt this summer or else trade him or risk losing him as a UFA next summer... you have to think it would be unlikely to happen but bad GMs do stupid things such as losing a star player and getting absolutely nothing in return.

I'm certainly not saying they won't try to go all-in next year - they will but they haven't made the right decisions with this team for the past 4-5 years and I doubt that starts now. I just personally believe that THIS year was their best shot at the Cup. Everything aligned for them to make a run out of the west but next year, there is going to be a team that's going to handle them much like the panthers are doing in the finals this year.

People don't have to agree but it's my opinion.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I know that but there STILL has to be a plan going forward.

They probably need to re-up draisailt this summer or else trade him or risk losing him as a UFA next summer... you have to think it would be unlikely to happen but bad GMs do stupid things such as losing a star player and getting absolutely nothing in return.

I'm certainly not saying they won't try to go all-in next year - they will but they haven't made the right decisions with this team for the past 4-5 years and I doubt that starts now. I just personally believe that THIS year was their best shot at the Cup. Everything aligned for them to make a run out of the west but next year, there is going to be a team that's going to handle them much like the panthers are doing in the finals this year.

People don't have to agree but it's my opinion.
They won’t be trading Drai regardless of if he signs or not. If they trade him, they risk it all falling apart and not contending next year.

There will have to be some considerations of the following season, but priority #1 will be putting a contender in the ice next season.

Teams also frequently win Cups without their best roster on paper. Avs did it where the 2021 team was by a good margin their most dominant team. Fell off a bit in 22, but still won.

Reactions: The Moops

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Reactions: katfude and Murzu

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They won’t be trading Drai regardless of if he signs or not. If they trade him, they risk it all falling apart and not contending next year.

There will have to be some considerations of the following season, but priority #1 will be putting a contender in the ice next season.

Teams also frequently win Cups without their best roster on paper. Avs did it where the 2021 team was by a good margin their most dominant team. Fell off a bit in 22, but still won.
Oh I strongly disagree that the Avs 21 team was stronger on paper than 22.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We were also in a reworked division full of absolute shite. Arizona, Anaheim and San Jose were all terrible.
With Vegas too, but yeah. It was a team though that had about as dominant of regular season as we have seen. Then lost some good players.

The point is, Edmonton could step back early next season, then still build up at the deadline. They have one more very clear window year. Then they run into significant contract issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad