Stanley Cup Playoffs 2014 - 2015 Discussions, Predictions & Game Chat II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't almost everyone pick Rangers in 5? It was universal.

Still laughing at the post early in the series about how Malkin and Crosby will come alive.

It's ridiculous that they've gotten pretty good goaltending from Fleury the last two years, now their star forwards are invisible.

Crosby and Malkin are the goats for Pitts this series.

Jim ''I'm probably getting fired first thing breakup day morning'' RutherFOOL is another goat.

No coincidence that they come dangerously close to missing the playoffs with him around and have one of their most embarrassing playoff performances since probably before Crosby and Malkin were even there.

Most of them didn't even look like they cared. Fleury, Hornqvist, Comeau, and a couple pluggers and bottom pairing defensemen were the only ones that looked like they cared or even showed up every game.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
Having viewed every Devils game this season, I know full well what offensive ineptitude is. I saw examples far too many times this year.

...But the Penguins just brought it to another level.

Camille the Eel

Fleury had his best playoff series in a long time, maybe losing and being expected to lose took the pressure off him. For once it wasn't MAF's fault the Pens went out.

But Lundqvist was the difference tonight in the 3d period and overtime. Pitt had the better of the play from the time they scored the tying goal, but Henrik was in the zone. Half a dozen saves at the end of the 3d and during overtime (couple on Crosby and Hornqvist) were special. Henrik's anticipation of plays is uncanny, he gets there before the shooter knows where it's going.

Really he's the Rangers best shot. They can play very quiet for long stretches and Henrik keeps them there. He's the reason they can be out puck-possessed, and out shot, and just try to score with quick flurries of offense and win consistently doing it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Rangers have basically a cakewalk to the finals

This is what bothers me, the Rangers get a free trip to the SCF because the rest of the East blows donkey.

Tampa might make things interesting if they get hot at the right time, Detroit is a team that can beat anyone in 7 games, but unfortunately one of them is going to kill the other. So there's really only one real "road block" if you even want to call it that.

So the Rangers get a coin flip chance at winning the Cup just because.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
This is what bothers me, the Rangers get a free trip to the SCF because the rest of the East blows donkey.

Tampa might make things interesting if they get hot at the right time, Detroit is a team that can beat anyone in 7 games, but unfortunately one of them is going to kill the other. So there's really only one real "road block" if you even want to call it that.

So the Rangers get a coin flip chance at winning the Cup just because.

I still think Montreal could also challenge the Rangers. Whoever advances from the Atlantic is the best hope for knocking out the Rangers before the SCF, but I have a hard time not picturing the Rangers in the ECF even though it makes my stomach hurt:(

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It makes me physically ill thinking about how good Tarasenko is.

Like, he's so good, I get the urge to vomit every time the puck is on his stick. Whenever he takes a shot I have to check my pants for involuntary movements.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Has there been a worse playoff series from a quality of play perspective in the last 20 years than the one that ended tonight? That was pathetic from both sides. That rags effort wouldn't have beaten any other 8th ranked team from either conference going back 10+ years.

I say this having really thought the Cup was the rags to lose. They HAVE to play way better to have any hope moving forward.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I still think Montreal could also challenge the Rangers. Whoever advances from the Atlantic is the best hope for knocking out the Rangers before the SCF, but I have a hard time not picturing the Rangers in the ECF even though it makes my stomach hurt:(

I believe Washington is the scariest team the Rangers could face in the East. They aren't as quick, but they are much bigger than the Rangers and have just as much depth. Their group on D is not given enough credit. They have 6 solid defense men. And the cap's big bodies up front could cause major issues for the Rags D-men.

I would bet big money on the Habs getting spanked by the Rags again. They are not a contender. They're really just a playoff spoiler at best. Too small, not enough grit, not overly skilled to make up for their lack of size. They're a tough team if you can't match their speed, but the Rags are better in that area. I'll take the Lightning or Wings over them any day.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
That's why LA missing was such a huge blow to me. We have to rely on the West to take out NYR in the finals. LA I know can beat them, CHI I know can beat them, Anaheim might be able to beat them, I don't know about anyone else.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Has there been a worse playoff series from a quality of play perspective in the last 20 years than the one that ended tonight? That was pathetic from both sides. That rags effort wouldn't have beaten any other 8th ranked team from either conference going back 10+ years.

I say this having really thought the Cup was the rags to lose. They HAVE to play way better to have any hope moving forward.

Penguins should hold their heads up high, they looked like the Rangers vs the Kings last year. They really played their hearts out, but the better team found a way.

If the Rangers lose next round, it will appear that maybe they weren't much better than anyone. Pittsburgh went toe to toe with them. Closer series than it appeared.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I believe Washington is the scariest team the Rangers could face in the East. They aren't as quick, but they are much bigger than the Rangers and have just as much depth. Their group on D is not given enough credit. They have 6 solid defense men. And the cap's big bodies up front could cause major issues for the Rags D-men.

I would bet big money on the Habs getting spanked by the Rags again. They are not a contender. They're really just a playoff spoiler at best. Too small, not enough grit, not overly skilled to make up for their lack of size. They're a tough team if you can't match their speed, but the Rags are better in that area. I'll take the Lightning or Wings over them any day.

Fair enough. I wouldn't complain if Washington pulled off an upset in the second row, that's for sure.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Every team left in the West with the exception of Vancouver and Calgary have played at a MUCH higher level in these playoffs than the rags. It's not even close. I'm certain that any one of them could take the rags in a series if they don't get too beat up on the way there.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Penguins should hold their heads up high, they looked like the Rangers vs the Kings last year. They really played their hearts out, but the better team found a way.

If the Rangers lose next round, it will appear that maybe they weren't much better than anyone. Pittsburgh went toe to toe with them. Closer series than it appeared.

I think both teams should hang their heads in shame. That was the some of the worst "playoff" hockey I've ever seen.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Fair enough. I wouldn't complain if Washington pulled off an upset in the second row, that's for sure.

I'm hoping I've got the caps pegged. I've done pretty well predicting these match ups, but these playoffs are so unpredictable. Who knows, maybe the Habs find a game the Rangers can't match.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Every team left in the West with the exception of Vancouver and Calgary have played at a MUCH higher level in these playoffs than the rags. It's not even close. I'm certain that any one of them could take the rags in a series if they don't get too beat up on the way there.

I hope your right. But damn, to see the Patroits win the Super Bowl AND the Rangers win the Cup in the same year would make this the worst sports season of my life.

MIN vs NYR is a nightmare scenario for me.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I think both teams should hang their heads in shame. That was the some of the worst "playoff" hockey I've ever seen.

That's why I think the Pens should hold their heads up high. It was either that, or getting their ***** whooped every game. They made it tough on the Rangers. Rangers couldn't play their quick, crisp passing game against them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's why I think the Pens should hold their heads up high. It was either that, or getting their ***** whooped every game. They made it tough on the Rangers. Rangers couldn't play their quick, crisp passing game against them.

Part of the Penguins' 'effort' was taking penalty after penalty and being fortunate the Rangers' PP went ice cold, and part of it was Fleury holding them in games singlehandedly.

The Rangers were pretty much supposed to win in 5 and they did and would have won fairly easily if the average or bad Fleury showed up. But of course if they won blowouts we'd say ah it's just Pittsburgh. When they win four 2-1 games it's ah it's just Pittsburgh. If it was another team it'd be how gritty they are to win all these tight games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good let 'em play the Blackhawks again. The Hawks are my real hope out West anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad