GDT: Stanley Cup Final Game 7: Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers 8pm ET (Puck Drop 8:20pm ET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
You’re not sure that Edm tanked for McJesus??

I’m pretty sure that the last game between Buffalo and Edmonton that season confirms it.
You think the Oilers needed to tank with the crap roster they had? They had to pay DF Nikita Nikitin 4.5 million at one point, that is how desperate they were to attract a free agent during those years.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Gotta win the cup next year before they either lose Draisaitl or his salary doubles.
This was their only chance and they blew it. McDavid chocked tonight. His play was mediocre. The last minutes of the third were pathetic as if the Oilers were wasting time. They rarely drove the net and their shots came from the outside, often blocked or deviated by the Panthers. Bob had no pressure except for perhaps 2-3 Oiler shots. On those, he can thank the D upfront. McDavid was off his game. He lost the puck several times and missed several shots.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You think the Oilers needed to tank with the crap roster they had? They had to pay DF Nikita Nikitin 4.5 million at one point, that is how desperate they were to attract a free agent during those years.
That’s literally what tanking is. Having a crap roster, signing crap players.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
No, doing it by choice is tanking. They had a crap roster because they were incompetent. They signed crap players because no good players would sign with the team. It wasn't intentional.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yup and the players themselves understanding that second and third efforts won't amount to much so never mind.
The perfect tank seen out west but never in Montreal.

Reactions: Habs

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I never bought into this cheer for the Oilers as they are a Canadian team bs. There is only one Canadian based team that deserves to win the big prize and that is the Montreal Canadiens hockey club. We were the last Canadian team to win it and will be the next to win it again.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
You brought up Florida. I don’t know why. I’m talking about the Oilers. I get you’re upset because I don’t agree about the same draft eligible players as you, but tone it down.
lol right. Florida isn't more deserving of the cup because Oilers sucked for multiple season and drafted high consecutively as a result: they pretty much pulled similar garbage whether it was intentional tanking or bad management.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No, doing it by choice is tanking. They had a crap roster because they were incompetent. They signed crap players because no good players would sign with the team. It wasn't intentional.
It was 100% intentional and to think different is naive.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I get your point, Pouliot comes to mind..

In my mind it’s a tank, they knew what they were accomplishing. When they tore down the Smyth Era, they were going for the bare bones approach. They just got stuck in neutral for a decade…

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I get your point, Pouliot comes to mind..

In my mind it’s a tank, they knew what they were accomplishing. When they tore down the Smyth Era, they were going for the bare bones approach. They just got stuck in neutral for a decade…
Sadly they were trying to improve the team, that's how pathetic their management was. They are just lucky they won the lottery for McDavid although they still haven't won anything with him either.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
While the result is disappointing, what's most apparent is just how far this team is from being a legit contender. Hughes has a lot of work to do.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
While the result is disappointing, what's most apparent is just how far this team is from being a legit contender. Hughes has a lot of work to do.
I say we contend for the cup around 2032-2033 at the earliest, judging by the rebuild time line of both the Oilers and the Panthers.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I just glad it's over! Draft in 3 days, free agency in 6 days.

Habs will add at least one good prospect to their farm system. Most experts on here think it will be Lindstrom. They will probably trade extra picks and a LD for another young player. Likely sign a free agent or trade for a player. First year in eons we've had extra caproom to do it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad