Stan Bowman linked to the Oilers GM role--discussion about him, the job and the ramifications.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Your reaction if Stan Bowman is hired as GM?

• Not Happy

Votes: 83 39.5%
  • He was never convicted of a crime

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Happy

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • He should never work again in the NHL

Votes: 84 40.0%
  • unsure

Votes: 23 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Optics aside, there are better options. He did alright retooling the Hawks between Cups but he also sewered them into a longer rebuild than necessary.

A lot of the same complaints DRW fans had about Holland. This from a “Hawks were my second team” poster
what bad moves did he make? I dont follow much of any other team aside from the Oilers

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looks like this might have legs.

More concerned with the fact that he wasn't all that good of a GM and the apparent absence of any kind of real GM search(especially if JJ wanted him right from when he was hired last year) than I am the past transgressions(which is a complex topic all of it's own). But man, talk about fully embracing the status of being the villains of the NHL if they do indeed hire him.
I thought you guys all knew about this rumour

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
what bad moves did he make? I dont follow much of any other team aside from the Oilers

I’ll take a look once I get back to my computer

One thing that stands out is he took too long to delay the rebuild, holding on to the core too long. Also the Jones contract was not good

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I thought you guys all knew about this rumour
The initial rumor was basically an unsubstantiated report that Bowman might be hired when he wasn't even eligible to work in the NHL yet, with no real signs that the NHL had moved on the topic yet.

The NHL's reinstatement announcement(which was a straight up surprise) makes it a real rumor worth talking about now.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
f*** this is brutal. Bowman and Hunter yikes. I hope it works but this was no where near the guys I would’ve have hoped for.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Stan Bowman Staff History, Signings, and Coach Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

@Paralyzer linked this in the Rumors thread. Has all of his transaction history. A mixed bag towards the end, the excuse being trying to draw out the window, I'd guess. But could have started the rebuild with more assets IMO. On the flip side, teams are reluctant to part with legacy players, especially GMs that oversaw those successful times (unlike Kyle Davidson who doesn't give a f***).

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I made a snide remark at the start of this thread and now I'm concerned.

I'm all for 2nd chances, but covering up a sexual assault is deplorable and on top of that he wasn't really a good GM either.

Last edited:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I've been able to stomach some controversial players being brought in, but it would be an absolutely unconscionable decision to hire Bowman.

This is starting to seem like a where there's smoke there's fire situation, but I'm still holding out that there's no truth to this rumour.

orangeshinpads

Jan 27, 2007
Vancouver
All the people saying this thread is a waste of time - smarten up. A reputable insider linked this guy to the oilers in the most consequential position in the organisation. Even if there is, in fact, little chance of it (and we don’t know that), it’s still ok to talk about it. Does it cost you something for this thread to exist? If it doesn’t please you, skip it.

Secondly, to the people that say they believe in second chances: you can believe in second chances and still think that some specific people do not deserve a second chance. No belief covers absolutely every case. Also, you could even think that Bowman himself deserves a second chance and still not want him to get it in your own organization.

This team is close to a cup. Why attract the stink that this guy has on him? It’s ludicrous.

Finally, is he a good GM?? I don’t know that he is.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
All the people saying this thread is a waste of time - smarten up. A reputable insider linked this guy to the oilers in the most consequential position in the organisation. Even if there is, in fact, little chance of it (and we don’t know that), it’s still ok to talk about it. Does it cost you something for this thread to exist? If it doesn’t please you, skip it.

Secondly, to the people that say they believe in second chances: you can believe in second chances and still think that some specific people do not deserve a second chance. No belief covers absolutely every case. Also, you could even think that Bowman himself deserves a second chance and still not want him to get it in your own organization.

This team is close to a cup. Why attract the stink that this guy has on him? It’s ludicrous.

Finally, is he a good GM?? I don’t know that he is.

I think it was pretty reasonable to treat the rumour as a bunch of nothing until it was double downed on today.

The OP in question has a history of shit disturbing to boot.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I don't know all the ins & outs of the scandal but nobody can possibly say Stan Bowman either didn't know, wasn't in position or that it wasn't his responsibility to do something. He knew, he was in position to do something about it & it was his responsibility but still did absolutely nothing(actually less than nothing since the guy got a reference from the organization to get his next job) & some other young men had to pay a price because a sexual predator wasn't stopped/outted.

You could make the case that although Quenneville knew something at the time, he may have thought it really was taken care of properly.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The guy was overrated as a GM. He had most of the pieces in place from Tallon. He did make some good moves the last 2 Chicago cups then after that buried the team in cap hell with terrible moves, handing out long term no movement contracts like candy. No way this organization should touch the a hole.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I've been able to stomach some controversial players being brought in, but it would be an absolutely unconscionable decision to hire Bowman.

This is starting to seem like a where there's smoke there's fire situation, but I'm still holding out that there's no truth to this rumour.
Might just be a trial balloon floated out there to see what the public reaction would be.

Reactions: brentashton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad