Proposal: St. Louis - NY Islanders

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
:bluesSt. Louis acquire: C Jean-Gabriel Pageau

(NYI Retains $625k per season for the final two seasons of Pageau’s contract)
(Pageau waives 16 team no trade list for St. Louis)

:islesNY Islanders acquire: LW/RW Alexey Toropchenko, RD Matt Kessel and a 2026 3rd round pick (STL)

The Blues get a 2-way veteran center with shutdown abilities that is also one of the best faceoff players in the NHL, aggressive PKer on the puck short handed.

The Islanders get towering versatile winger in Toropchenko that can play either wing and throw his weight around, also has some scoring upside, skates well for a 6’6” / 198c forward with a decent shot, NY also gets a RHS defensive defender in Kessel that is proficient in moving the puck out of his own zone that is waiver exempt, finally the Isles get some much needed cap relief in this proposal.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
:bluesSt. Louis acquire: C Jean-Gabriel Pageau

(NYI Retains $625k per season for the final two seasons of Pageau’s contract)
(Pageau waives 16 team no trade list for St. Louis)

:islesNY Islanders acquire: LW/RW Alexey Toropchenko, RD Matt Kessel and a 2026 3rd round pick (STL)

The Blues get a 2-way veteran center with shutdown abilities that is also one of the best faceoff players in the NHL, aggressive PKer on the puck short handed.

The Islanders get towering versatile winger in Toropchenko that can play either wing and throw his weight around, also has some scoring upside, skates well for a 6’6” / 198c forward with a decent shot, NY also gets a RHS defensive defender in Kessel that is proficient in moving the puck out of his own zone that is waiver exempt, finally the Isles get some much needed cap relief in this proposal.

Can't imagine the Blues doing that deal. I doubt they want to move out futures/young NHLers for a vet.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Doesn't work at all for the Blues.

For better or worse the Blues have decided to use Buchnevich at center as a temporary solution to their 2C vacancy and have added Faksa and Texier. Given they have internal options like Dean and Dvorsky that will be a phone call away in Springfield I think they have enough bodies at the position to just wait until ELC talent starts hitting the roster.

Toropchenko and Kessel are regulars with Kessel in particular being valuable due to being a RHS RD who isn't 30+ years old. Just don't see any reason to acquire Pageau from a Blues perspective and this deal would actively hurt the on ice product.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
We just got Faksa for free, got a 3rd back to take Joseph and traded Hayes half retained for a 2nd. Why would we move off two young roster players who have solidified a spot and add a 3rd to it for Pagaeu who hasn’t been any better than Hayes?
Pageau takes the most difficult matchups for his team as a shutdown center taking most of the defensive zone starts at even strength while slightly out producing Hayes in points.

Hayes was moved with a 2nd because he can barely skate at an NHL level anymore, he also got some PP time with St. Louis which slightly propped up his assists.

Islanders fans may have a better insight into Pageau’s game.

It would be an asset to have Pageau at 3C and Faska at 4C for a push to return to post season play with the likes of Dvorsky, Bolduc and Dean making a push for roster spots during the season while moving on from others it would also allow one of Schenn or Buchnevich to the wing for increased production from the top lines.

Most Blues fans have Toropchenko at 4th line, STL also acquired POJ and have RD Tucker who are both not waiver exempt which could place one of them on waivers if Kessel makes the roster full time.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
No way. I have historically liked Pageau, but this is not helpful for the Blues. They need D and Kessel was a bright spot for them last season. And Toropchenko got more and more playing time because he matches the identity they want to cultivate. Pageau wouldn't play above Schenn or Buch on the second line. These are not the pieces you move for someone to play on your third line unless you're a contender.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No way. I have historically liked Pageau, but this is not helpful for the Blues. They need D and Kessel was a bright spot for them last season. And Toropchenko got more and more playing time because he matches the identity they want to cultivate. Pageau wouldn't play above Schenn or Buch on the second line. These are not the pieces you move for someone to play on your third line unless you're a contender.
Agreed.

But, NYI is retaining 625k.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Pageau takes the most difficult matchups for his team as a shutdown center taking most of the defensive zone starts at even strength while slightly out producing Hayes in points.

Hayes was moved with a 2nd because he can barely skate at an NHL level anymore, he also got some PP time with St. Louis which slightly propped up his assists.

Islanders fans may have a better insight into Pageau’s game.

It would be an asset to have Pageau at 3C and Faska at 4C for a push to return to post season play with the likes of Dvorsky, Bolduc and Dean making a push for roster spots during the season while moving on from others it would also allow one of Schenn or Buchnevich to the wing for increased production from the top lines.

Most Blues fans have Toropchenko at 4th line, STL also acquired POJ and have RD Tucker who are both not waiver exempt which could place one of them on waivers if Kessel makes the roster full time.

Both Tucker and POJ are LHD, Tucker is barely an NHL player and will probably be waived. We have 6 LHD and 3 RHD on the roster.

Toropchenko is a very good 4th liner if that’s where he’s slotted to play. He played a lot on our 3rd line last year. We’re in a really good spot if everyone else’s play pushes Toropchenko to the 4th line.

Thomas takes the hardest matchups here already, and the thought process is Faska can ease a little bit off of that. Blues seem pretty fine with having Buch at center if Dvorsky doesn’t break camp with the team.

Even with the marginal retention Pageau makes 4.375m, is aging and doesn’t have much offensive output. Personally I wouldn’t be thrilled if the blues took him for future considerations with a 2nd attached to him unless we’re sending significant salary back.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn't do it even if you took the third rounder out of the deal. Not interested at all from a Blues perspective.

Reactions: HighNote

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
I wouldn't do it even if you took the third rounder out of the deal. Not interested at all from a Blues perspective.
I was debating whether to leave the 3rd in or out of the proposal but left it in I was guessing Islanders fans may scoff at the proposal from a value standpoint, as Pageau’s shutdown and PK abilities are the strong points of his game which is valuable in its own right.

It wasn’t too long ago that Pageau was valued by Islanders fans as a 1st round return, but the Islanders fans have been quiet up to this point, I wonder how they feel about this proposal.

There were also Blues fans who highly valued Toropchenko, one poster even suggested that Toropchenko was worth a 1st which is a stretch, Kessel is RHS which I took into consideration as well but St. Louis does have other RHS on the farm but aren’t ready to compete for a job at the NHL level yet.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I was debating whether to leave the 3rd in or out of the proposal but left it in I was guessing Islanders fans may scoff at the proposal from a value standpoint, as Pageau’s shutdown and PK abilities are the strong points of his game which is valuable in its own right.

It wasn’t too long ago that Pageau was valued by Islanders fans as a 1st round return, but the Islanders fans have been quiet up to this point, I wonder how they feel about this proposal.

There were also Blues fans who highly valued Toropchenko, one poster even suggested that Toropchenko was worth a 1st which is a stretch, Kessel is RHS which I took into consideration as well but St. Louis does have other RHS on the farm but aren’t ready to compete for a job at the NHL level yet.

What are the names of the other RHD in our system? We have 2. Total. 1 of which is Kessel.

Quit making things up like you know the Blues system.

This is almost as good as your Jackets and Avs proposal.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
What are the names of the other RHD in our system? We have 2. Total. 1 of which is Kessel.

Quit making things up like you know the Blues system.

This is almost as good as your Jackets and Avs proposal.
I didn’t know I was gonna be quizzed on right handed Blues organization defenders.

But I guess you want me to name them 7 so… Colton Parayko, Justin Faulk, Hunter Skinner, Adam Jiricek, Samuel Johannesson, Jeremie Biakabutuka and William McIsaac.

I don’t blindly just make proposals I do some research on both teams and view each teams boards on the players in my proposal to try and gain perspectives on their values, I also follow every lineup on a nightly basis during the season and try to watch as much as I can.

Toropchenko was mostly a 3rd liner with 14 goals, Kessel made a breakthrough with Krug mostly as his partner on 3rd pairing.

Pageau was tried as a 2C in NY with Cizikas filling in at 3C and turn at 1LW.

Pageau was injured for a 1 game during playoffs. I don’t like Buchnevich as a center and so on and so on.

What more do I have to prove ask me….

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Blues say no. Blues have 3 NHL caliber RHD (Parayko, Faulk, Kessel), and only 1 RHD in the farm (Jiricek) that projects to be anything in the NHL. All other RHD are more or less going to be AHL bodies. Kessel isn't, and shouldn't be available.

Leddy, Suter, Krug, POJ, Perunovich, and Tucker are all LHD. Perunovich is injury prone, Krug might be out for the year, Tucker isn't NHL caliber, Suter is about to be 40, and POJ is a wild card at best.

Toropchenko was one of our bright spots on the team last season. Really no reason to trade him.

Paguau isn't really a need on this team at the current timeframe when the Blues are not a cup contender. If we take on Pageau it's going to be because the Islanders want the cap space open, not because the Blues want Pageau.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I think JGP would have been a consideration before we had gotten Faksa. Afterwards he is sort of redundant. Upgrade? Probably. But still a redundant one.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Is it me or are all of Toropchenko, Kessel and even that fricking 2026 3rd round pick on it self more valuable than 2 years of Pageau's contract @4.375 million caphit?

Toropchenko himself should be able to fetch an early 2nd round pick if we decide to move him. Young cost controlled heart and soul winger who can move up and down the line up and can provide secondary scoring... eventhough he usually plays on the 4th line, teams usually don't mind paying for those types.

Kessel is a solid young (again, cost controlled) 3rd pairing guy who can move up and play on the 2nd pairing if needed. Again, someone who should have some value.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Can't see why the Blues would remotely consider this... Proposal heavily favors the Isles

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

The value is probably close but the issue is that the Blues need solid young players a lot more than a vet like Pageau right now. Torpo is the kind of player who's worth a lot more to the team than he would fetch in trade value and I think all Blues fans are intrigued by what Kessel might develop into. RHD is by far our weakest position in terms of prospects.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Pageau hasnt been the same since wrist injury but oddly enough he's still good at faceoffs. He doesnt seem to have a decent wrister anymore to score off the rush . Some isles fans dont want to hear this but I think the best bet is to trade Pageau and Lee during the 2026 trade deadline for maximum return (expiring contracts) .

I didint realize Toropchenko was 6'6 220 , big kid .

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Czech

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Zero reason for the Blues to give up value to help another team out of a cap issue
Very good point, the Isles are up against the cap after resigning Wahlstrom.

This proposal gives the Islanders a little breathing room in cap space while acquiring a bottom 6 winger and a 3rd pairing defender with a 3rd rounder.

The value is debatable as the Islanders would be losing their best shutdown centerman, a key piece to their penalty kill, their best face-off performer, and an veteran who is a trustworthy player to the coaching staff.

Pageau wouldn’t be worthless to the Blues either he would slot in as a 3C and probably be running the 1st PK unit and would certainly be an asset in a bid for the Blues to return to post season competition.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Pretty easy pass from St Louis. Before the Krug injury I thought a move around Krug and Pageau made a little sense but this proposed deal would be horrible for the Blues, I wouldn’t trade either Torp or Kessel straight up for Pageau let alone together and add on a 3rd. Those types of guys, young cost controlled and still some untapped upside just hold way more value to the Blues at this point of their retool.

Reactions: BehindEnemyLines16

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Very good point, the Isles are up against the cap after resigning Wahlstrom.

This proposal gives the Islanders a little breathing room in cap space while acquiring a bottom 6 winger and a 3rd pairing defender with a 3rd rounder.

The value is debatable as the Islanders would be losing their best shutdown centerman, a key piece to their penalty kill, their best face-off performer, and an veteran who is a trustworthy player to the coaching staff.

Pageau wouldn’t be worthless to the Blues either he would slot in as a 3C and probably be running the 1st PK unit and would certainly be an asset in a bid for the Blues to return to post season competition.

Eventhough he could be a really good face-off performer and PK-er, he's still a bottom-6 player (probably a 4th liner with us) at a caphit of 4.35 million. We just payed a 2nd round pick to get rid of a slightly cheaper player in Hayes, so getting Pageau really doesn't make any sense for the Blues who want to get younger, bigger and faster. Let alone trade 3 assets for him that hold positive value. Blues also want Dvorsky and Dean to compete for a rosterspot: trading for Pageau would block their path.

Only way I can see us trading for him is 1 for 1 for (a non-LTIR) Torey Krug, as in a bad contract for a bad contract kind of deal or if the Isles sweeten the deal enough to make it enticing for the Blues.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Eventhough he could be a really good face-off performer and PK-er, he's still a bottom-6 player (probably a 4th liner with us) at a caphit of 4.35 million. We just payed a 2nd round pick to get rid of a slightly cheaper player in Hayes, so getting Pageau really doesn't make any sense for the Blues who want to get younger, bigger and faster. Let alone trade 3 assets for him that hold positive value. Blues also want Dvorsky and Dean to compete for a rosterspot: trading for Pageau would block their path.

Only way I can see us trading for him is 1 for 1 for (a non-LTIR) Torey Krug, as in a bad contract for a bad contract kind of deal or if the Isles sweeten the deal enough to make it enticing for the Blues.
Pageau doesn’t necessarily block their path as it would still allow Buchnevich and Schenn to play the wings to maximize scoring while the bottom 6 centers take care of the difficult matchups and defensive zone draws.

I did a post trade blues mock lineup, it could be interpreted in many different ways also gives the Blues nice depth for the post season.

Line 1 LW Saad C Thomas RW Neighbours
Line 2 LW Buchnevich C Dvorsky RW Kyrou
Line 3 LW Bolduc C Pageau RW Schenn
Line 4 LW Texier C Faksa RW M. Joseph

1st Pair LD Leddy RD Parayko
2nd Pair LD Perunovich RD Faulk
3rd Pair LD Suter RD Tucker

Goalies:
Starter: Binnington
Backup: Hofer

Scratches:
RW Kapanen
C Sundqvist
LD P.O. Joseph
LD Krug + LTIR

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Pageau doesn’t necessarily block their path as it would still allow Buchnevich and Schenn to play the wings to maximize scoring while the bottom 6 centers take care of the difficult matchups and defensive zone draws.

I did a post trade blues mock lineup, it could be interpreted in many different ways also gives the Blues nice depth for the post season.

Line 1 LW Saad C Thomas RW Neighbours
Line 2 LW Buchnevich C Dvorsky RW Kyrou
Line 3 LW Bolduc C Pageau RW Schenn
Line 4 LW Texier C Faksa RW M. Joseph

1st Pair LD Leddy RD Parayko
2nd Pair LD Perunovich RD Faulk
3rd Pair LD Suter RD Tucker

Goalies:
Starter: Binnington
Backup: Hofer

Scratches:
RW Kapanen
C Sundqvist
LD P.O. Joseph
LD Krug + LTIR

Blues will very likely not even make the post season as we're still retooling (or whatever Army wants to call it).

Army also stated he pencilled in Buch as our 2nd line Center (Dvorsky is not ready, even Thomas struggled on the 4th line in his 1st season). I'd say we're something like this atm:
Bolduc - Thomas - Neigbours
Saad - Buchnevich - Kyrou
Texier - Schenn - Joseph
Toropchenko - Faksa - Kapanen/Sundqvist

You could potentially move Schenn to LW and create an opening at 3 or 4C (Toro to RW and Kap out). That could create a spot for a guy like Pageau (but preferably Dvorsky/Dean) but again, only if the Isles sweeten the deal or take Krug back as part of the deal. In a deal like that, Kessel and Toropchenko would be off limits but someone like Tucker and/or Alexandrov would be totally fine by me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad