SSM Greyhounds 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
I’ve been going back and forth on this. I don’t think it’s due to incompetence, although you can argue the stance of never rebuilding and hanging on to valuable assets year in and year out is questionable, but that’s likely more of an ownership directive.

Are the recent blunders indicative of a lack of presence or effort? I’ve heard some STH complain that Raftis doesn’t live here and does a lot of his managing remotely. Could that be catching up to him?

I have flip flopped, I’m not going to sit here and say I haven’t. I struggled too.. and I honestly fought some people over this. I see everything those people were saying and I now am in total agreement and no “run” where we fall short again will change my mind. I don’t trust the same people that have us in this situation, to get us out. To get out of this situation, Kyle Raftis is going to have to do something he’s legitimately not done in his entire tenure in the Soo…

At what point does ownership recognize an issue and try to save their face or is this ownership philosophy and everyone is content? Something is up, in my opinion but I don’t know what. I do agree it’s likely ownership but they are the ones with a chance to prove to us they are willing to change their philosophy….( I say they but its really him)

He doesn’t live here. I’ve heard the term “ glorified scout “ used often.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I’ve been going back and forth on this. I don’t think it’s due to incompetence

If it's not incompetence then what is it?

6 years ago we were a premier ohl franchise (thanks Dubas) and we've been in decline ever since.

We were told we didn't need to rebuild and the cycle of junior hockey didn't apply to us. Now we're looking like a bottom feeder for the 2nd time in 3 seasons, and just had the worst draft in franchise history.

Our cupboards are bare and there's persistent rumours we have guys on the roster that want out.

We need fresh blood and a fresh philosophy.

Last edited:

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024

6 years ago we were a premier ohl franchise (thanks Dubas) and we've been in decline ever since.

We were told we didn't need to rebuild and the cycle of junior hockey didn't apply to us. Now we're looking like a bottom feeder for the 2nd time in 3 seasons, and just had the worst draft in franchise history.

Our cupboards are bare and there's persistent rumours we have guys on the roster that want out.

*nods head in approval*

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I have flip flopped, I’m not going to sit here and say I haven’t. I struggled too.. and I honestly fought some people over this. I see everything those people were saying and I now am in total agreement and no “run” where we fall short again will change my mind. I don’t trust the same people that have us in this situation, to get us out. To get out of this situation, Kyle Raftis is going to have to do something he’s legitimately not done in his entire tenure in the Soo…

At what point does ownership recognize an issue and try to save their face or is this ownership philosophy and everyone is content? Something is up, in my opinion but I don’t know what. I do agree it’s likely ownership but they are the ones with a chance to prove to us they are willing to change their philosophy….( I say they but its really him)

He doesn’t live here. I’ve heard the term “ glorified scout “ used often.
it's good to see people have changed their stance. I won't say we fought, lol, but we did argue more than once about the questionable choices the hounds made, and i respect you saying that. there are a few of us that wanted a true junior hockey cycle for the last 6 or 7 years and with the talent we had, and the capital we could have used selling a frost, or a hayton, man we could have won 2 or 3 championships. go on a run, sell off, rebuild, buy and go for it again.

the one thing i will give Raftis is the 2014/15 year when dubas gave us the best base for a team and he added ritchie, boland, bailey and d'angelo. i feel we had the best team in the league by the deadline and we should have won the OHL and went to the Mem Cup. but every other year, man we either didn't sell, or stopped to save capital. i would gladly endure 2 losing seasons to get back to the finals.

Hopefully management turns things around and e can see a banner raised

Rivrfront

Aug 30, 2024
Opinion :
think Raftis has done a good job.
Other then Dubas, probably one of the best GM hires in a long time, dating back to the
sherry basin days, Just look at other GM'S we have had and compare there records to
Raftis record as a gm.
Now, most likely would have won a Ohl championship if it wasn't for a guy named McDavid.
the one year that i believe really stings is when the Hamilton Buldogs beat out the Soo Greyhounds in
6 games. There was another year where hounds were real close.
i believe Covid never helped this franchise , because the year where season was cancelled, i believe
the hounds had another run in them also.
the draft lottery the following year never helped as the hounds picked later in the draft .
( the year where every team had a chance for a high pick )
Yes, there were errors on his part , like a few years when he should have sold older players but
decided to add.; one particular year i am referring to is when Sarnia was desperate to make a
deep run and they traded Porter Martone to Mississauga now Brampton. Hounds could have
done the same if they traded there top guys that year , i am sure Sarnia would have done it but
Mississauga out smarted Raftis and robbed martone from sarnia, now look at them this year,
primed to make a deep run.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Opinion :
Other then Dubas, probably one of the best GM hires in a long time, dating back to the
sherry basin days, Just look at other GM'S we have had and compare there records to
Raftis record as a gm.
Now, most likely would have won a Ohl championship if it wasn't for a guy named McDavid.
the one year that i believe really stings is when the Hamilton Buldogs beat out the Soo Greyhounds in
i believe Covid never helped this franchise , because the year where season was cancelled, i believe
the draft lottery the following year never helped as the hounds picked later in the draft .
Yes, there were errors on his part , like a few years when he should have sold older players but
decided to add.; one particular year i am referring to is when Sarnia was desperate to make a
deep run and they traded Porter Martone to Mississauga now Brampton. Hounds could have
done the same if they traded there top guys that year , i am sure Sarnia would have done it but
Mississauga out smarted Raftis and robbed martone from sarnia, now look at them this year,
IMO McDavid didn't beat us. Keefe's unwillingness to adjust lost us that series. we smoked Erie 6-0 the first game and Knobloch adapted and clogged up the neutral zone. Keefe's unwillingness to dump the puck and have to carry it over the blue line cost us that series. we were by far the best team in teh CHL that year.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006

Get the feeling we’re in for more Fan Pain before we get relief.

The past draft was @$&&&@@$$) and inexcusable.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Opinion :
Raftis record as a gm.

i mean, if the basis of comparison is guys like Torrie, he's done good, sure.

but if you hoped he would continue the strong program Dubas rebuilt with "the Rising" (including that Dubas drafted the core of the 2015/2018 teams) then he's been a mediocre failure at best, an arrogant disaster at worst...

It began in 2018/19 where we should have had a sell off to recoup assets from legitimate championship runs in 2015 and 2018. we can argue until we're red in the face about it but imo we haven't iced a legitimate contender since. always an elite player or two short, but always a few high draft picks short of competing in the trade deadline arms race. champions add the best players available at the deadline.

Missing the playoffs or 1st/2nd round exits, shaky asset management, and now back to the old days of struggling to get players to report... it's sure starting to look a lot more like the Torrie days than the Dubas days imo.

As Schmo alluded to, Owen Allard seems to be off the Roadrunners roster... If he is sent back to junior, and refuses to report here as has been speculated, then what?

I know I'm negative, and some of you are probably sick of it, but until I'm given a reason to feel hope this is where I'm at as a hounds fan.... hopeless and fed up with the gaslighting about being perpetually competitive.

Hopefully my senators are better this year at least. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Houndzfan20

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
if Allard was released from AHL as the roster seems to suggest why has there been no announcement he's been returned to the hounds?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad