SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
It seems goalies are either hero or goat to fans.
How many goalies would the wolves need to have gone through before entertaining the possibility that goals against was in part due the top line attempting to all reach 2pts/game not win, or in part going through about 10 D during the season. Vandenberg had a significantly higher SV% in Niagara than in Sudbury!?

IMO goalie stats are shoddy representations of individual play, especially in the context of the OHL where we aren't provided any stats that address the quality of competition or the quality of teammates.

Goalies are easy to blame as individuals but as you've alluded to with the wolves, free wheeling offense that leads to frequent odd man rushes, passive d-zone coverage, and failure to control the "house" etc. are not quantified in traditional goalie metrics.

You can fire 40 low quality perimeter shots at a goalie and make them look real good, while losing to a team that fired 20 high quality chances on odd man rushes, powerplays, and 2nd chances due to shoddy defensive coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: RB76 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Does instat have a stat for goals saved above expected per 60?
That could be a very telling stat, though I would not trust that it is not at least somewhat subjective with too many different stat collectors.
There were many OHL games that I watched this season that I did not totally agree with the DS/S stat posted on the box score.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Just wondering did anyone else lol when they saw Dubas invited 5 Soo free agents to camp?

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
I didn't read much of the Miller/Schenkel "debate" lol and I'm late to the party but.. I don't even care about the stats at all in this scenario. Schenkel was completely the better goaltender last year through and through. Every time Miller was in net and the puck was in the Greyhounds end I would be super anxious and I think the play in front of him reflected that type of feeling as well. Team seemed much more at ease with Schenkel in net. Miller struggled to put together consisent starts. Some nights he looked lost. You could tell from his body language when he didn't have it, early on in the game. That's a scary thing if he's your starter. And I don't think we need to worry about Detroit too much .. Not many 18 year old goaltenders have the starting job fed to them in the O.
That being said he did improve a lot and yes he needs to be given more of a chance to play. But we need to keep every card we have because this team needs a rebuld bad. Shipping off Schenkel too early for a lesser price could be a huge mistake.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I would tend to agree that it should be Millers net this season for the sake of his development but not because I feel he outplayed Schenkel last season. I'm of the believe that using an OA spot for a goalie should only be done in extenuating circumstances. Let the kid take the reins and give Schenkel an opportunity to play elsewhere in the OHL or move on with a possible university career.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That's a great post.

I was also nervous last season when Miller went in net - in the first half. Sometime after the trade deadline that changed for me.

But I was also concerned which Schenkel we were going to get when he was in the crease - in the first half. Both goalies really stepped up in the second half.

There is lots to be excited about Miller. An increased workload against better opponents should provide him with lots of opportunity to continue developing and earning more trust of the coaching staff. Ultimately you want a goalie who is consistent and gives you a chance to win even when the team is not at it's best.

And one that will win their last playoff game of the year. Which Miller did this past offseason. Taking over the crease at the halfway point in the game with a 3 goal deficit.

Looking forward to the ride.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Ertel's departure was confirmed yesterday. I wonder who's going to take his place? Hfp thought it might be Jordan Smith returning but he was just hired in the AHL!

Reactions: JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
So that's a very insightful comment.

You could start the year with
Nordh (import)
Holub (import)
Schenkel (OA)

And then at the deadline you could potentially move Nordh and Schenkel and bring in Nuto.

I don’t think the Soo Greyhounds selected Nuto for him to report and play in the Soo. They knew about Nordh at time of selecting. Maybe you guys are looking at a situation where Raftis did not want Nuto to go to another team below him.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
Any Cali updates?

If Cali doesn’t sign, do you guys believe Raftis will get a contract extension?

I think the time has come to an end in Sault Ste Marie. From an outside looking in perspective, Kyle Raftis’ horrible asset management has cost the Soo Greyhounds legitimate championships, even thought he’s iced competitive rosters over the years, in some areas he’s always fallen short, while never pausing to rebuild any future.

Bad management.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
as an aside, I don’t pretend to be anything, the moderator deemed me to be an insider, dont like it take it up with @nelli27

Aren’t you the same guy that called HFP insecure? Who are you puffing your chest out to?

What happened to HFP? That’s the first account I’ve ever seen deleted from this forum. They must have leaked some real info about someone to have Nelli shut it down.

I sat around for many years as a lurker, I’ve read it all.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Aren’t you the same guy that called HFP insecure? Who are you puffing your chest out to?

What happened to HFP? That’s the first account I’ve ever seen deleted from this forum. They must have leaked some real info about someone to have Nelli shut it down.

I sat around for many years as a lurker, I’ve read it all.
when someone attacks my integrity, I’m defending myself, plain and simple. And in this instance if you don’t believe me, believe the guy who gave me the title.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
when someone attacks my integrity, I’m defending myself, plain and simple. And in this instance if you don’t believe me, believe the guy who gave me the title.

HFP posted more legitimate information about the Soo Greyhounds than you have. You may have some bang on information about the OHL, but from what I read HFP was right more than you. You’re were both wrong at times.

You belittled them over the Ertel news which they were right 100% about and they did post before you. This situation is why I decided to make an account, to be honest.

You’re honestly going to sit here and talk about an imaginary title on a forum as if you’re superior than others though? Take some time off the website for a bit. That’s concerning. Talking about integrity? Your ridiculous antics lead to a poster being removed/removing themselves. You’re not a good person and don’t value the true integrity of the league.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
HFP posted more legitimate information about the Soo Greyhounds than you have. You may have some bang on information about the OHL, but from what I read HFP was right more than you. You’re were both wrong at times.

You belittled them over the Ertel news which they were right 100% about and they did post before you. This situation is why I decided to make an account, to be honest.

You’re honestly going to sit here and talk about an imaginary title on a forum as if you’re superior than others though? Take some time off the website for a bit. That’s concerning. Talking about integrity? Your ridiculous antics lead to a poster being removed/removing themselves. You’re not a good person and don’t value the true integrity of the league.
Its not that serious. He's just taking a break. Its the middle of summer. There's nothing to talk about really until like the middle of August. Probably just enjoying the sunshine. I guarantee he'll be back as much as ever once the fall rolls around.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

of course he did, I don’t focus on one team, he does and does it generally well.

and I agreed with him, he was right. the post got deleted because he trolled everyone but I said I heard the same thing a while ago, and he freaked out and accused me of being a media member who is tight with the ertels

I’m not superior or better or anything other than an old guy with friends, just like everyone else. A lot of my friends have good info that they share, that’s it that’s all. not ever have I or will I say I’m better then anyone else.

Reactions: MJ5

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum.

The Cali pick would be disappointing because he has Martin and Hayes to build around. But it's disappointing precisely because he had some great selections last year.

I am not nearly as deeply connected as those discussed above, but what I gathered during training camp is that Cali originally gave every indication he would report, but might have started having second thoughts.

If that is the case, what is a gm to do?

At least we would get a first round pick back if he doesn't report. More concerning is Croskery who everyone knew wasn't coming, and who there is no compensatory pick for.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
joe is sounding like a dwi dale stan with his critiques of asset management and failure to rebuild. raftis builds good teams, but never great teams. if he comes away from this draft with neither Cali or McCroskery then he effed up HUGE.

Reactions: JoeSchmo

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum.

The Cali pick would be disappointing because he has Martin and Hayes to build around. But it's disappointing precisely because he had some great selections last year.

I am not nearly as deeply connected as those discussed above, but what I gathered during training camp is that Cali originally gave every indication he would report, but might have started having second thoughts.

If that is the case, what is a gm to do?

At least we would get a first round pick back if he doesn't report. More concerning is Croskery who everyone knew wasn't coming, and who there is no compensatory pick for.
said it at the time and will say it again, I’d be shocked if they took him without any kind of commitment.

cali was all ncaa in the early part to mid part of the year. I think his mom was a very good ncaa player and he wanted that route too. In Feb/March it was ‘I’m very open tot he OHL but let’s chat’, and that was the last I had heard on the kid.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023
said it at the time and will say it again, I’d be shocked if they took him without any kind of commitment.

cali was all ncaa in the early part to mid part of the year. I think his mom was a very good ncaa player and he wanted that route too. In Feb/March it was ‘I’m very open tot he OHL but let’s chat’, and that was the last I had heard on the kid.
Find it strange the Hounds mention on social media Gibson and Martin invites to Team.Canada camps but nothing on Cali for Team Onatario U17 camp invite. Possible tell???

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Find it strange the Hounds mention on social media Gibson and Martin invites to Team.Canada camps but nothing on Cali for Team Onatario U17 camp invite. Possible tell???
It's easy to read as much or as little as we want into every little action and I love the speculation. I assume Cali is putting a lot of thought into where he plays next year so it's Raftis' job to tip the scales in our favour. He has the chance to play on a bonafide contender in a few seasons but I certainly appreciate the allure of the NCAA education, especially given how the professional path in hockey is anything but a sure thing.

What can be said for sure is that the CHL is losing ground to American hockey programs, and if the league fails to promote itself as a stronger alternative we will see more and more Canadian prospects headed stateside. Let's hope the new commissioner has some ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad