SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Rooting for local athlete James Elliott to have a good camp. He's a longshot with his size but was part of that exceptional u15AAA team with chitaroni, blonda, and rossetto that was so exciting to watch.

Holy moly man! You've become even more scorched Earth than me!

I get it though, it would be nice to see some concrete steps taken to right the ship. Soo fans deserve better.
i know right? like who is this guy? i'm glad more people are not accepting mediocrity now. it was a lonely time Dale when it was essentially just us getting ragged on for not selling and rebuilding. We need to adopt the Brantford/Hamilton model and win some freaking championships. Look at Peterborough, they'll be in the mem cup 3 years after their last appearance.

hoping they'll see what they need to do

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
i know right? like who is this guy? i'm glad more people are not accepting mediocrity now. it was a lonely time Dale when it was essentially just us getting ragged on for not selling and rebuilding. We need to adopt the Brantford/Hamilton model and win some freaking championships. Look at Peterborough, they'll be in the mem cup 3 years after their last appearance.

hoping they'll see what they need to do

A bit pre-mature to be predicting the Petes in the ‘27 Memorial Cup let alone ‘26. That team has some catching up to do imo before picking them over Brantford, Kitchener, NB, Niagara, and some others like Guelph or Ottawa that could pull off a quick re-tool this season.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
Rooting for local athlete James Elliott to have a good camp. He's a longshot with his size but was part of that exceptional u15AAA team with chitaroni, blonda, and rossetto that was so exciting to watch.

Holy moly man! You've become even more scorched Earth than me!

I get it though, it would be nice to see some concrete steps taken to right the ship. Soo fans deserve better.

What future do you see? Lay it out for me to feel better about it. Give me a direct path to a 2027 Championship.

It’s not really so much scorched Earth as it is being a realist. Worst draft in 15 years, or maybe longer?

How does Raftis keep his job if it is true that 1 player of the first 5 rounds is reporting to camp. Does NOT look for the future lineups.

It’s true. It’s put on paper now .

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
Greyhounds have updated the rosters since that post.

IMG_2012.jpeg
IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2010.jpeg

Reactions: Section5Petes

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
What future do you see? Lay it out for me to feel better about it. Give me a direct path to a 2027 Championship.

No I'm with you, it's hard to feel good about the present state of the prospect pool/draft capital we have to build around our 2007/2008 year classes, the difference being that I felt the same way about our failure to build around BMB or O'Rourke. Decent teams that were a few players away from being a real threat imo.

Our "direct path" to contending is conforming to the cycle of junior hockey and strategically amassing picks/prospects for 1-2 year competitive windows. Right or wrong, I've been consistent. This year's draft was the perfect storm of bad drafting and poor historical asset management coalescing into precisely what some of us could see happening 3-4 years ago.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Where is the consensus prediction for the Hounds this year in the Western Conference standings ?

Good luck finding a consensus on this board lol.

I think the hounds will make the playoffs but be battling somewhere between 5th-8th in the western conference. I'm sure once he re-emerges from his summer shame exile Fischhaber will tell us we are a contender and that every loss is the goalies fault. :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeSchmo

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
they made BMB captain young so i envisioned Martin being named C. maybe they shield him one more year and make an OA captain though.

seems like a minor detail at a time when the microscope should be focused on the GM.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Allard wear the C? I don’t C it

Half season captains are common enough because teams want to sell leadership ability, and buying teams want to tell their fanbase that they traded for leaders at the deadline.

It can become Martin’s team in January.

Reactions: ohloutsider

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
Half season captains are common enough because teams want to sell leadership ability, and buying teams want to tell their fanbase that they traded for leaders at the deadline.

It can become Martin’s team in January.

Yup Gibson until deadline then Martin

Allard didn’t even show up to camp, he’s listed but he’s not here

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Article yesterday said he's at his dad's hockey camp or something? Hopefully he's committed to showing up this fall, taking on a leadership role with an inexperienced forward group, and be willing to be moved to a contender so he can pursue a cup and we can get some breathing room in the asset dept.

Something happened last year after the world jr's. Could have been lingering injury? A diminished role after the trade deadline? Whatever the case may be, he was not the same player after Christmas.

Last edited:

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
Article yesterday said he's at his dad's hockey camp or something? Hopefully he's committed to showing up this fall, taking on a leadership role with an inexperienced forward group, and be willing to be moved to a contender so he can pursue a cup and we can get some breathing room in the asset dept.

Something happened last year after the world jr's. Could have been lingering injury? A diminished role after the trade deadline? Whatever the case may be, he was not the same player after Christmas.

What happened is Allard wanted pp1 and more time on the “stacked lines” and he didn’t get it from Dean.

• Wow
Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
What happened is Allard wanted pp1 and more time on the “stacked lines” and he didn’t get it from Dean.

Makes sense I guess.

As I recall he was a PPG player with a stellar +/- before the world juniors but finished the season with 44pts in 55GP and +18 and then in the playoffs was 5pts in 10 games and -3. Neither stat looks at other factors like zone starts, quality of competition, linemates etc. but the numbers certainly verify that his point production tanked.

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Did anybody take in the scrimmages today?
I saw all 3. Team Red was flying, they won both times. James Elliott and Owen Kelly are really fast, both should have a good chance at making the team. Brady Smith looked like a great fit with Martin and Hayes. Heavy shot, physical as well. Most impressive rookie was Carson Andrew imo. Big, quick and very smart with the puck. Hunter Solomon looks bigger and faster, he'll be nice to watch this year.

All of the returning players look about what you'd expect. Brown looks good, but I'll save my thoughts on him for now. I really enjoyed the hustle from Fantino and Dezoete. I hope we keep both of them, but if I had to choose, I'd choose Dezoete.

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
1-1 in the third.. Scoring goals will be a struggle with this crew. Have low expectations of course. But they have lots of energy tonight! they should be fun to watch this year.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_2149.jpeg
    IMG_2149.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 5

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Really surprised they kept ashcroft over allen and zuyev. I liked what I saw all week from both of them. Same for owen kelly.

Reactions: OHLfan200

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad