OT: Spring has sprung...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was wondering if you and/or he got up to Albany. Baz and I watched most of the games from up there, even with the rain delay.

The rain delay was both brutal and fun.

Nate got a picture with RJ and a lot of the Archers were hanging out in the gym, playing HORSE, and stuff.

The other cool part was that I got to chat up two former SUNY Morrisville lacrosse players and one current player at the Maverik/Cascade booth on Sunday. That is the school that Nate is focused on going to because of the mix of school and lacrosse.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Slightly terrified down here in FL. Kids got a bit of a cold and passed it on to me. Waiting on my COVID test result. Fully Vacc'd and No fevers though, so that is good.

As a fellow Floridian, I understand. And I've been tested multiple times (all negative so far) due to exposure from my ex and kids. I think I've been tested five times now.

I have not felt well, but that I think is more a function of my terrible air quality in this apartment due to hurricane moisture from Elsa.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As a fellow Floridian, I understand. And I've been tested multiple times (all negative so far) due to exposure from my ex and kids. I think I've been tested five times now.

I have not felt well, but that I think is more a function of my terrible air quality in this apartment due to hurricane moisture from Elsa.

Seriously though, what is wrong with these people? I told my wife she gets 1 more florida summer out of me then I'm out. I'd burn this place to the ground on my way out, but I think it'd be a marked improvement.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seriously though, what is wrong with these people? I told my wife she gets 1 more florida summer out of me then I'm out. I'd burn this place to the ground on my way out, but I think it'd be a marked improvement.

Yeah, this is a different world. I'm stuck for three more years, at which point I'm out as fast as any vehicle will carry me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's interesting as I'm contemplating relocating to the Orlando area if I don't move to Thailand

Hey, if you find it to your style, great. Personally, the dumbf***ery is off the scale, combined with the heat and humidity, it's not worth the supposed perks around state income taxes (they nickel and dime you everywhere else, and many of the state services are straight up shit) to offset the rampant bullshit.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Hey, if you find it to your style, great. Personally, the dumbf***ery is off the scale, combined with the heat and humidity, it's not worth the supposed perks around state income taxes (they nickel and dime you everywhere else, and many of the state services are straight up shit) to offset the rampant bullshit.
Comparing prices and property taxes with Texas and seems comprable. As for stupid crap, been in the 3d world for 8yrs so can't be worse than here

Reactions: Chainshot

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Comparing prices and property taxes with Texas and seems comprable. As for stupid crap, been in the 3d world for 8yrs so can't be worse than here

Between Texas and Florida, I'd probably choose Texas because the state government seems a bit more functional, though, TX seems to be trying to catch up to Florida.

Florida is great if you don't require any state help. However, if you do at any point (including pretty standard infrastructure tasks, like roads), may god have mercy on your soul. The system is designed to be inefficient and slow. They actually had to admit the unemployment application website was designed to be hard to use so people would give up and not apply for UI.

I obviously can't speak to all of Florida since I've only lived in Lakeland, but it seems to attract a lot of burn outs. The two official state cars around me seem to be a mid sized truck raised on huge wheels with neons underneath and a 2005 Ford Mustang with a fabric top that has been sitting in the sun for 15 years and would likely disintegrate if you actually tried to take it off. Lot's of NIMBYs who will complain about bad cell service but show up at local town hall meetings if they dare put a new cell phone tower where they might have to see it from their backyard.

But seriously, I'm with Chain. The minute its feesible for my wife to get out of her contract....

giphy.gif

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Between Texas and Florida, I'd probably choose Texas because the state government seems a bit more functional, though, TX seems to be trying to catch up to Florida.

Florida is great if you don't require any state help. However, if you do at any point (including pretty standard infrastructure tasks, like roads), may god have mercy on your soul. The system is designed to be inefficient and slow. They actually had to admit the unemployment application website was designed to be hard to use so people would give up and not apply for UI.

I obviously can't speak to all of Florida since I've only lived in Lakeland, but it seems to attract a lot of burn outs. The two official state cars around me seem to be a mid sized truck raised on huge wheels with neons underneath and a 2005 Ford Mustang with a fabric top that has been sitting in the sun for 15 years and would likely disintegrate if you actually tried to take it off. Lot's of NIMBYs who will complain about bad cell service but show up at local town hall meetings if they dare put a new cell phone tower where they might have to see it from their backyard.

But seriously, I'm with Chain. The minute its feesible for my wife to get out of her contract....

giphy.gif

My favorite study from post-grad was Cultures and Organizations, by Hofstede, Hofstede, and Minkov. It's really instructive on why people are the way they are. One of the more interesting parts of the study is the "individuality scale." It's a ranking from 1 to 100 on where particular cultures rank on the importance of individuality, and how they actually live. 100 is the highest score. The top three in order are the US (91), Australia (90), and UK (89). Canada comes in a tie for 4th with a score of 80.

I've lived in Germany, South Korea, Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia (DC area), Kentucky, and Georgia. Mostly, the people in these areas act as the study suggests.

If you like efficiency, go to South Korea or Germany. Just know that you're giving up some personal freedoms, and the government will be more involved in your life. South Korean culture scored an 18 on the individuality chart. The government there is centralized and it's insanely easy to get most things done, as the people are really compliant with their officials. But when the government officials are wrong, it's the lemming effect, since everyone has likely complied.

Germany is not quite as compliant (score of 67) but personal discipline tends to be greater.

Individuality in the southern part of the US is more important, as southerners default to their local government (town, county), and tend to see higher levels of government (state, federal) as disconnected when dealing with local issues. States like NY and PA tend to solve problems at the State level, and the people are ok with it.

As far as the dumbf#ckery goes, there's plenty of dumba$$es in New York and PA. It looks different, but it's still there.

Our choice came down to Texas and South Carolina. We never once considered going back to NY or PA. I'm not interested in a state bureaucrat making choices for me, which are clearly better made at the town and county level. And we'd rather have the insane heat for three months than 6 months of $hitty winter.

South Carolina tends to be well run at the State level because they hire a lot of retired military personnel, who understand organizations and processes. The director of the DMV, for example, is a retired Army officer. He hires a lot of retired military. The DMVs are extremely well run.

The SC government also understands, and is comfortable with, delegation of authority. All of the COVID precautions were delegated to from State to county/town level. That's a military thing as well, as delegation of authority is a military necessity.

We thought about Texas, but it was kind of a tie, and we were already in SC, so we didn't want to move.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
What is a reasonable amount of time to wait to see the doctor past the appointment time?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
My favorite study from post-grad was Cultures and Organizations, by Hofstede, Hofstede, and Minkov. It's really instructive on why people are the way they are. One of the more interesting parts of the study is the "individuality scale." It's a ranking from 1 to 100 on where particular cultures rank on the importance of individuality, and how they actually live. 100 is the highest score. The top three in order are the US (91), Australia (90), and UK (89). Canada comes in a tie for 4th with a score of 80.

I've lived in Germany, South Korea, Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia (DC area), Kentucky, and Georgia. Mostly, the people in these areas act as the study suggests.

If you like efficiency, go to South Korea or Germany. Just know that you're giving up some personal freedoms, and the government will be more involved in your life. South Korean culture scored an 18 on the individuality chart. The government there is centralized and it's insanely easy to get most things done, as the people are really compliant with their officials. But when the government officials are wrong, it's the lemming effect, since everyone has likely complied.

Germany is not quite as compliant (score of 67) but personal discipline tends to be greater.

Individuality in the southern part of the US is more important, as southerners default to their local government (town, county), and tend to see higher levels of government (state, federal) as disconnected when dealing with local issues. States like NY and PA tend to solve problems at the State level, and the people are ok with it.

As far as the dumbf#ckery goes, there's plenty of dumba$$es in New York and PA. It looks different, but it's still there.

Our choice came down to Texas and South Carolina. We never once considered going back to NY or PA. I'm not interested in a state bureaucrat making choices for me, which are clearly better made at the town and county level. And we'd rather have the insane heat for three months than 6 months of $hitty winter.

South Carolina tends to be well run at the State level because they hire a lot of retired military personnel, who understand organizations and processes. The director of the DMV, for example, is a retired Army officer. He hires a lot of retired military. The DMVs are extremely well run.

The SC government also understands, and is comfortable with, delegation of authority. All of the COVID precautions were delegated to from State to county/town level. That's a military thing as well, as delegation of authority is a military necessity.

We thought about Texas, but it was kind of a tie, and we were already in SC, so we didn't want to move.
I lived all over the world also and I too will never go back to NYS. Texas would be an easy choice for me to return to, however my parents moved to central Florida and being in their late 70s they're starting to have increased difficulties. Left to my own devices, I'd be happy living in a new Pattaya condo, but might have to settle for a house with pool and in-law suite

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I lived all over the world also and I too will never go back to NYS. Texas would be an easy choice for me to return to, however my parents moved to central Florida and being in their late 70s they're starting to have increased difficulties. Left to my own devices, I'd be happy living in a new Pattaya condo, but might have to settle for a house with pool and in-law suite

Same. I've started the NY migration once we decided to stay in SC. My mom moved last month, and my niece will be here before Christmas. My brother is looking at a move now. My in-laws in PA are looking at moving too.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Same. I've started the NY migration once we decided to stay in SC. My mom moved last month, and my niece will be here before Christmas. My brother is looking at a move now. My in-laws in PA are looking at moving too.
Might be a scarcity of good hunting once the entire clan moves there.

Outside of my parents none of my immediate family have any desire to leave NYS because of in-laws / extended family. My parents currently play the snow bird role but spend less and less time in NYS as their medical appts frequency increases. My drawback is the more time I spend looking and researching real estate there, the more convinced the gf gets that I'm going to bring her to the land of the big PX

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

While I haven't lived in the international places you have, I've lived in:

Horseheads, NY
Rural OH (outside of Dayton)
Ann Arbor, MI
Chicago IL
Rural PA
Allentown PA
NYC
San Antonio TX
and now, Lakeland FL

Even within the same state, the localities are going to be much different.

Horseheads and NYC are about as opposite as you can get. Heck, I lived in Wilkes Barre PA and Allentown PA, an hour apart, huge difference in quality of life And yes, there are dumb asses in every city, state, and country, it's a matter of concentration and variety.

I think irregardless of state/region, a denser population tends to build a bigger, more influential local government out of necessity. Denser population means more roads, schools, hospitals, etc. Property values rise as demand for the property goes up, and the tax base is stronger.

I've spent a good bit of time in South Carolina, and you know, there is a big difference between living in Charleston and living in a rural area like Jamestown or Andrews.

However, growing up in Rural NY vs my wifes experience in Rural SC, it's interesting to see how I went to a good school despite living in a rural area and she went to a terrible school (google 'Corridor of Shame' if you want more context on that). The problem with delegation from state to local is a lot of localities are just plain bad. Of course, there are good local governments too.

Overall, it's about what you value vs what a state/area provides. I have young kids and I don't want them growing up in private schools, so a place with a strong good public school system is important. While my job affords me WFH, I'd like to find an area where I don't have to and could come to the office. I'd also like my wife to have several employment options, not just whatever regional hospital she has is in the area. I'd also like my kids to not be sheltered and be able to be exposed to different cultures/races/experiences, so for me, a major metro area makes the most sense. However, for a retired person who is trying to maximize their income? A low tax, low cost of living area makes a ton more sense.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Visiting this thread for the first time in a while. Hope you all are well.
Lived in Texas for 3 years in the early 90s. Would never go back, especially now with their infrastructure issues and COVID activities. And, like Florida, they find a way to nickel and dime you... I have never paid so much for things like homeowners insurance and personal property taxes as I did when there (thanks to asshole drivers, tornados, hail storms and people with wooden shingled roofs...).
I know Chainshot hates NC, and we have plenty of good old boys and religious idiots here in VA, but VA, NC and SC would be my choices. Florida is a no from the get go, even though my brother lives down there and loves his area.
I was just back in Buffalo for a few days a couple weekends ago. Went to my old neighborhood, and couldn't get out of there fast enough. What a depressing area. I couldn't wait to get back home to VA. I know all of WNY is not like that, and flying in over the area reminded me how pretty the state is in the summer, but there's still no way I would ever move back there.
COVID (Delta) is getting bad around here quickly. School is just starting up, and all I can say is I am so glad my kids are adults and we don't have to worry about schools and education anymore. What a shitshow.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
While I haven't lived in the international places you have, I've lived in:

Horseheads, NY
Rural OH (outside of Dayton)
Ann Arbor, MI
Chicago IL
Rural PA
Allentown PA
NYC
San Antonio TX
and now, Lakeland FL

Even within the same state, the localities are going to be much different.

Horseheads and NYC are about as opposite as you can get. Heck, I lived in Wilkes Barre PA and Allentown PA, an hour apart, huge difference in quality of life And yes, there are dumb asses in every city, state, and country, it's a matter of concentration and variety.

I think irregardless of state/region, a denser population tends to build a bigger, more influential local government out of necessity. Denser population means more roads, schools, hospitals, etc. Property values rise as demand for the property goes up, and the tax base is stronger.

I've spent a good bit of time in South Carolina, and you know, there is a big difference between living in Charleston and living in a rural area like Jamestown or Andrews.

However, growing up in Rural NY vs my wifes experience in Rural SC, it's interesting to see how I went to a good school despite living in a rural area and she went to a terrible school (google 'Corridor of Shame' if you want more context on that). The problem with delegation from state to local is a lot of localities are just plain bad. Of course, there are good local governments too.

Overall, it's about what you value vs what a state/area provides. I have young kids and I don't want them growing up in private schools, so a place with a strong good public school system is important. While my job affords me WFH, I'd like to find an area where I don't have to and could come to the office. I'd also like my wife to have several employment options, not just whatever regional hospital she has is in the area. I'd also like my kids to not be sheltered and be able to be exposed to different cultures/races/experiences, so for me, a major metro area makes the most sense. However, for a retired person who is trying to maximize their income? A low tax, low cost of living area makes a ton more sense.

When we first moved to SC four years ago, we hated it. We couldn't wait to move. But a lot of that was just my job my first year, with normal life complications added in. By the time we got to my third year here, my work environment was fantastic, and we had more time to get around and do stuff. And we saw how nice it was here.

The Corridor of Shame is the bad part of SC. We're in Columbia, so the schools here are a lot better, especially on the west side of the city across the Broad River. My kids are in virtual school now due to sports commitments, but when they went, we went to the Buffalo equivalent of Springville or Gowanda, and it was amazing. Being military, we move to school districts as opposed to areas when we have the choice, regardless of my commute. And the Midlands and Upstate are a lot better than the low country or Pee Dee for schools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad