GDT: Spidey Says, "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack Mr. Ducksworth!" Devils @ Ducks, 9 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
If Cory loses again I fear for his confidence.

The worst case scenario is he craps the bed early and doesn't get a chance to see it through and come out the other side and then Kinkaid goes in after a LOT of work yesterday and also craps his bed leaving both shaken for SJ.

The more likely scenario Cory gives up an early one and we play behind by 1 goal all game and don't manage to get a win AGAIN losing 3-2.

My best case scenario tempered with the team's attitude right now is Cory closes the door and we win 3-1 with an ENG and Hall opens the scoring to begin his next 20 game hot streak and Cory starts his resurgence.

Reactions: liquid1988

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Many of those weren't our picks though.

The 2nd we sent to SJ for Mueller was BOS's from the Stempniak deal.
The 4th we sent to SJ for Mueller was NSH's from the Fiddler deal.
We also got a 5th back (Studenic).

The 2nd we sent to WSH for Johansson was FLA's from the Savard dump.
The 3rd we sent to WSH for Johansson was TOR's as compensation for them signing Lou.

We won't have a 2nd (Grabner) or 3rd (Vatanen) this year, or a 3rd (Maroon) next year. I'm not losing sleep over it though. We've picked 20 players in the past two drafts, including FOUR in the 3rd round. Our prospect pool is in great shape.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Makes sense to start Cory tonight

If he shits the bed yet again then give him the hook until the 2nd half of the next back to back

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
BB27_F5_CF_B469_411_B_8097_0_B3_E2_BD80_F9_E.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Many of those weren't our picks though.

The 2nd we sent to SJ for Mueller was BOS's from the Stempniak deal.
The 4th we sent to SJ for Mueller was NSH's from the Fiddler deal.
We also got a 5th back (Studenic).

The 2nd we sent to WSH for Johansson was FLA's from the Savard dump.
The 3rd we sent to WSH for Johansson was TOR's as compensation for them signing Lou.

We won't have a 2nd (Grabner) or 3rd (Vatanen) this year, or a 3rd (Maroon) next year. I'm not losing sleep over it though. We've picked 20 players in the past two drafts, including FOUR in the 3rd round. Our prospect pool is in great shape.
Honest question, you think our prospect pool is in great shape? Cause I don't, not even a little. In fact, I am worried about it.

There is not a single draft pick in the pipe that can make an NHL jump other than Quenneville. The development of both Zacha and Mcleod concern me. I think our goaltending prospects are an issue as well. There is not a single legit defensive prospect in the system that is less than two or 3 years away. Guys like Boqvist, Studenic, or Zetterlund have long way to go...and can go either way.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Honest question, you think our prospect pool is in great shape? Cause I don't, not even a little. In fact, I am worried about it.

There is not a single draft pick in the pipe that can make an NHL jump other than Quenneville. The development of both Zacha and Mcleod concern me. I think our goaltending prospects are an issue as well. There is not a single legit defensive prospect in the system that is less than two or 3 years away. Guys like Boqvist, Studenic, or Zetterlund have long way to go...and can go either way.

We got really lucky with Hischier, Wood and Bratt. That singlehandedly gives us some room to work with. We can always find guys to fill out the bottom six internally like Coleman, Gibbons and Noesen have done. High end talent like Palmieri and Hall already being here help. There are two positions to me that stick out with no organizational answer: 2C and 1LD. Big needs but having the depth of prospects we have, 2C seems manageable to fill now and even if that isn’t the case, free agency and trades are where you can aquire a guy like that.

Defense has zero answer internally. Davies and Sissons, the two most NHL ready guys still project to be bottom pair dmen. We’re going to have to trade for someone, we simply cannot develop it internally right now.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

We barey have any spots for Bratt and Zacha when fully healthy if we resign Grabner and/or Maroon. And we currently don’t have spots for Mueller or Santini. Where are these holes that need to be filled by prospects?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
You know what happiness is,....

When you move over the lettuce in the refrigerator for the salad your wife wants you to eat for lunch and you find one last beer that you didn't know you had....

THAT is happiness.

happened to me today also….had 2 left in fridge, went to cellar for an onion and found a strong IPA i forgot was in there

true happiness indeed

Reactions: glenwo2

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I think overall this season has been poor developmentally for many of our prospects. How much of that is due to Bingo sucking and how much of it is due to guys actually regressing is unclear to me. But I think Bastian, Gignac, and Speers are all better than they've been showing.

I have a few concerns about McLeod, but I think he's going to be a very effective NHL player. Whether he'll turn into a legit scoring forward or checking line center is what concerns me - he has a terrible shot and doesn't always use his team mates. I think he'll have a long career in the NHL, though.

I think Joey Anderson is an absolute stud, I like his game a lot.

Some of our later picks have shown they could end up surprising. Davies and Talvitte specifically (and Bratt, of course). For 6th and 7th round picks they could actually have pro careers which is all you can really ask for when it comes to picks that late.

You're definitely right about some of the NCAA and European players being wildcards, I guess the jury will be out on them for a while. I also agree about the overall lack of depth on D, but don't forget how young our NHL defense is (and Santini, though not really a prospect anymore).

I do think the bit about lacking guys that can step in right away is a little off point, because all the guys that are/were ready to step in are already in the NHL. Having a lot of recent graduates makes your prospect pool look worse than it is. Our prospect pool would look a lot better on paper if Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, and Santini were developing somewhere besides NJ. I mean, technically Jesper Bratt isn't a prospect anymore, but he's still 19 and still has a lot more developing to do.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think overall this season has been poor developmentally for many of our prospects. How much of that is due to Bingo sucking and how much of it is due to guys actually regressing is unclear to me. But I think Bastian, Gignac, and Speers are all better than they've been showing.

I have a few concerns about McLeod, but I think he's going to be a very effective NHL player. Whether he'll turn into a legit scoring forward or checking line center is what concerns me - he has a terrible shot and doesn't always use his team mates. I think he'll have a long career in the NHL, though.

I think Joey Anderson is an absolute stud, I like his game a lot.

Some of our later picks have shown they could end up surprising. Davies and Talvitte specifically (and Bratt, of course). For 6th and 7th round picks they could actually have pro careers which is all you can really ask for when it comes to picks that late.

You're definitely right about some of the NCAA and European players being wildcards, I guess the jury will be out on them for a while. I also agree about the overall lack of depth on D, but don't forget how young our NHL defense is (and Santini, though not really a prospect anymore).

I do think the bit about lacking guys that can step in right away is a little off point, because all the guys that are/were ready to step in are already in the NHL. Having a lot of recent graduates makes your prospect pool look worse than it is. Our prospect pool would look a lot better on paper if Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, and Santini were developing somewhere besides NJ. I mean, technically Jesper Bratt isn't a prospect anymore, but he's still 19 and still has a lot more developing to do.
Thank you for your response. I don't have a like button or I would've used it. Good post and thoughts.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We got really lucky with Hischier, Wood and Bratt. That singlehandedly gives us some room to work with. We can always find guys to fill out the bottom six internally like Coleman, Gibbons and Noesen have done. High end talent like Palmieri and Hall already being here help. There are two positions to me that stick out with no organizational answer: 2C and 1LD. Big needs but having the depth of prospects we have, 2C seems manageable to fill now and even if that isn’t the case, free agency and trades are where you can aquire a guy like that.

Defense has zero answer internally. Davies and Sissons, the two most NHL ready guys still project to be bottom pair dmen. We’re going to have to trade for someone, we simply cannot develop it internally right now.
Yeah getting the 1st overall covers a lots of warts. And he fact that he's been so good both ways is an even bigger gift.

Reactions: glenwo2

Game Breaker

May 10, 2007
West Hollywood, CA
Since the other thread is closed, I'll post this here because...it was awesome! My colleagues split the cost of tickets for this game for me for my birthday because I just moved out to LA last May. I know Prudential like the back of my hand, but I had no idea how good the tickets were when I got them since I've never been to Staples Center before. Well...they were pretty amazing! 2nd row from the glass in the devils attacking zone. I got to see all 3 goals right in front of me. I'm in the video of all 3 goals celebrating in the bottom right of the screen. The best was on Miles Wood's goal where I went nuts and ran 3 feet and started pounding on the glass. You can see me jumping around as they cut to Wood pumping his fist circling around the net. WHAT A GAME!!

IMG_1518.png
IMG_1520.png

Screen_Shot_2018_03_18_at_10_20_41_AM.png

Thanks to cj225 for sending me this during the game!
IMG_1525.gif

I wore my #29 Marty jersey since it has green in it. The Kings fans were beyond nice and kept coming up throughout the game to talk. There really are a crazy amount of people from the East that transplanted out here. I did notice a boatload of Devils fans all over and it was louder that I thought it would be when we scored. Not sure if I want to go when they are back next year though because how am I going to outdo this game??

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
With the organization turning a corner I think a lot of fans haven't adjusted to having a good team yet. We're not hoarding picks anymore and lineup spots are being filled up with quality NHL players. Everyone should now be looking at the value of futures with a different lense.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
With the organization turning a corner I think a lot of fans haven't adjusted to having a good team yet. We're not hoarding picks anymore and lineup spots are being filled up with quality NHL players. Everyone should now be looking at the value of futures with a different lense.
So you believe that we are rebuilt and ready to compete for the big prize?

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Not yet. I think we are a big FA signing (one of Tavares/JVR/Carlson) and a trade for a top 4 LHD away from truly competing. I mean we're already giving elite teams fits, consistency will theoretically be less of an issue as the young players get more experience.

Reactions: glenwo2 and nugg

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

You have to also keep in mind the Devils seem to be slowly getting to the point where they could be able to cash out NHL players for assets and keep chugging along.

Devils when healthy have 5 forward lines that could all be decent third lines. We might even trade a guy like Coleman in the off-season and hang onto a Gibbons. Or trade Boyle with the way Coleman/Gibbons/Noesen have broken out this year.

Kinkaid might have also played himself into a trade chip like Darling, Raanta, Kuemper, and Talbot did before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad