Abbotsford Canucks | Training Camp Edition

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I don’t see how he can carve out a bottom 6 role and he’s not good enough to play in the top 6. He doesn’t think the game fast enough
Even if that's true, every organization needs depth. He is already a legitimate AHL first-line winger who can be called up, he's a local guy, he gets a lot of respect from his teammates and coaches, and the Canucks have full control over his rights until at least summer 2026. Unless he gets claimed off of waivers next season, he figures to remain in the organization for awhile.

Reactions: ephmrl

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
I don’t see how he can carve out a bottom 6 role and he’s not good enough to play in the top 6. He doesn’t think the game fast enough
I think he'll be one of the first call ups this season alongside PDG, and will be on the 4th line next season when the team is dealing with the worst of the OEL buyout since he'll be a cheap budget option to slot into the lineup who can can provide energy and some skill for the bottom six.

I think he's perfectly suited to filling the role of a bottom six utility forward who can be slotted up and down a lineup depending on injuries. His play off the puck has improved from last year and he's already shown an ability to PK quite well at the AHL level.

Reactions: Lindgren

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
I think he'll be one of the first call ups this season alongside PDG, and will be on the 4th line next season when the team is dealing with the worst of the OEL buyout since he'll be a cheap budget option to slot into the lineup who can can provide energy and some skill for the bottom six.

I think he's perfectly suited to filling the role of a bottom six utility forward who can be slotted up and down a lineup depending on injuries. His play off the puck has improved from last year and he's already shown an ability to PK quite well at the AHL level.

Additionally, he's shown significant improvement every season since his breakout Jr. season. If he continues to progress he could conceivably take that next step and be a useful bottom 6 player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! With Patera, Brannstrom and now Bains enroute to Abbotsford, this team is stacked from top to bottom.

The only question-marks heading into the season were in goal and on the blueline, where there was a bit of inexperience. But no more. They've not got AHL veteran depth at every position.

It would be a surprise if this team doesn't finish the year near or at the top of the Pacific Division.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Taking a stab at Abbotsford’s roster -

Bains - Sasson - Lekkerimaki
Di Giuseppe - Nielsen - Karlsson
Twarynski - Smith - Blais
Wouters - Stevens - Klimovich
Mueller, Glover, Kambeitz

Brannstrom - Woo
Wolanin - McWard
Brisebois - Pettersson
Felton, Hirose

Patera
Tolopilo

The defense suddenly looks powerful, but overcrowded. And I honestly have doubts Danila Klimovich holds down a roster spot. Could easily see him coming out of the lineup - Ty Glover seemed popular in Abby, and Dino Kambeitz is an experienced player.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Anyone want to take a stab at the lineup (either when all healthy or what we'll actually see on opening night)? Has Abbotsford announced a final opening night roster? I haven't seen anything.

EDIT: @Mr. Canucklehead you must have been reading my mind. :laugh:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Brannstrom - Woo
Wolanin - McWard
Brisebois - Pettersson
Felton, Hirose

Patera
Tolopilo

The defense suddenly looks powerful, but overcrowded. And I honestly have doubts Danila Klimovich holds down a roster spot. Could easily see him coming out of the lineup - Ty Glover seemed popular in Abby, and Dino Kambeitz is an experienced player.

You’re missing Kudryavtsev.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Brannstrom - Woo
Wolanin - McWard
Brisebois - Pettersson
Felton, Hirose

Patera
Tolopilo

No love for Kiril Kudryavtsev?

Edit: I swear that I wasn't piling on. Vector just beat me to it by a second.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Woops. :laugh:

Just furthers my point…blueline is crowded in Abby. I wonder if the Canucks try to make any deals, or assign some players elsewhere.
Actually, I could see the Canucks making an 'AHL-trade' for another AHL veteran, somebody like Justin Dowling, Kyle Rau or even Sheldon Dries. Of course it's likely to be somebody on an AHL deal only....and there are a few candidates on Abbotsford that would fit the bill.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Team makes some cuts

Glad to see Loewen gone. But like always team has zero toughness outside of maybe Pettersson (who you don't want to put in that role).
What every happened to Vinny Arseneau? 40-plus games with Providence Bruins last season.

The Abby Canucks always played a lot bigger when Vinny was imposing his will out there.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

Brannstrom - Woo
Wolanin - McWard
Brisebois - Pettersson
Felton, Hirose

Patera
Tolopilo

Klimovich should be a mutual termination, go play back in Russia.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Bains is going to have to reinvent his game if he wants to stick to the NHL. I see no path for him long term in the top 6 and as of now he currently doesn’t have the type of game that would make him last in any sort of bottom 6 role in the NHL.

Sherwood was a similar player to Bains but he quickly adapted to a role that would allow him to stick in the NHL as a checking forward/pest. Not every single skilled guy is going to make it to the NHL as one, especially undrafted late bloomers and the sooner Bains realizes this and tailors his game in a way that can actually meaningfully contribute to the NHL the better his chances are.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Actually, I could see the Canucks making an 'AHL-trade' for another AHL veteran, somebody like Justin Dowling, Kyle Rau or even Sheldon Dries. Of course it's likely to be somebody on an AHL deal only....and there are a few candidates on Abbotsford that would fit the bill.
  • A minimum of 12 skaters that have played fewer than 260 professional games – development players
  • A maximum of one skater that has played fewer than 320 professional games – veteran exempt player
  • A maximum of five skaters that have played over 320 professional games – veteran players
Brisebois 276 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
Wolanin 266 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
Twarysnki 298 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
John Stevens, Sammy Blais and PDG are well over the 320 games played.
I also forgot about the new kid. Erik Brannstrom is 350 plus AHL and NHL games also.

The roster breakdown applies to players that dress for each game, so it is possible to have more than five veterans on the roster, but only five can play on any given night. The veteran and veteran exempt classification only applies to players 25 years of age or older or as of July 1.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
  • A minimum of 12 skaters that have played fewer than 260 professional games – development players
  • A maximum of one skater that has played fewer than 320 professional games – veteran exempt player
  • A maximum of five skaters that have played over 320 professional games – veteran players
Brisebois 276 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
Wolanin 266 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
Twarysnki 298 games (AHL, NHL) combined.
John Stevens, Sammy Blais and PDG are well over the 320 games played.
I also forgot about the new kid. Erik Brannstrom is 350 plus AHL and NHL games also.

The roster breakdown applies to players that dress for each game, so it is possible to have more than five veterans on the roster, but only five can play on any given night. The veteran and veteran exempt classification only applies to players 25 years of age or older or as of July 1.
Brannstrom isn't a veteran this season as he was below the age requirement. At this point, they could play all of their veteran/veteran-exempt players on any given night.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Brannstrom isn't a veteran this season as he was below the age requirement. At this point, they could play all of their veteran/veteran-exempt players on any given night.
You are right. For some reason I thought he was turning 26 but no he just turned 25 in Sept.

I don't know if Blais has a contract or not with Abby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad