GDT: Spidey Says, "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack Mr. Ducksworth!" Devils @ Ducks, 9 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
3 years after a final appearance...something about this narrative doesn't quite add up?
So you think this organization was in good shape relative to the rest of the league at the end of the 2014-2015 season?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So you think this organization was in good shape relative to the rest of the league at the end of the 2014-2015 season?
I think we had to make tremndous sacrifices because of Vanderbeeks financial situation.

You're asking me to believe Lou got stupid the last 3 years he was here and the first 25 were a fluke.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I mean...

If you're not happy with a Vatanen/Severson/Santini right side in the years to come, I don't know what to say
I never said it wasn't. I liked Henrique a lot and didn't want to see him go. Not really much more to it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I bitch about Sylvane Turgeon for a year and a half after Lou traded Verbeek for him :)

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
>thinks Lou left the org in good shape
>checks roster when Shero took over

Lmaooo

Lou was a stubborn ass who didn’t want to rebuild and left us in shambles.

Reactions: MartyOwns

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
You're asking me to believe Lou got stupid the last 3 years he was here and the first 25 were a fluke.

It's not that the first 25 years were a fluke. It's that the game changed and Lou didn't. Lamoriello, Conte, & Associates had a hard time adjusting to the post '05 NHL and the organization was overdue for a change when Shero took over.

Hall-Hischier-Kovalchuk
Henrique-Zacha-Palmieri
Bratt-Zajac-Grabner/Maroon
Wood-Coleman-Gibbons

You'll get everything you want next season

If the team wanted he who shall not be named here, he'd be here now. He isn't and they don't.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
You have to play Cory when you can because him just sitting and doing nothing will not be good if Kink starts to suck or get hurt and Cory is not in game shape physically or mentally.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You have to play Cory when you can because him just sitting and doing nothing will not be good if Kink starts to suck or get hurt and Cory is not in game shape physically or mentally.

I mean now that I know it's his birthday it'd be kind of mean not to play him...but hopefully he doesn't give himself a crapburger on the ice.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's not that the first 25 years were a fluke. It's that the game changed and Lou didn't. Lamoriello, Conte, & Associates had a hard time adjusting to the post '05 NHL and the organization was overdue for a change when Shero took over.
The game past him by or half of his top 6 bolted cause the team literally couldn't pay its players?
Some of these narratives completely ignore what was actually happening.

It's a pretty lazy analysis actually.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Do we need to create a seperate thread for the rest of you to endlessly argue with Jim about five and ten years ago when none of you are ever going to change anyone's mind? Live in the here and now for once on HF! :sarcasm:

And people wonder why our GDT's are longer than other teams...

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't think Jim is saying Lou left the team in a good position, but he absolutely may have had reasons for spending the way he did. It's totally a stretch to plant that strawman on him

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think it is very much an answer.

You can't dismiss what was happening at that time.
I'm not, but just because there were ownership issues which (possibly) greatly contributed to the tire fire this organization became, doesn't change the fact that it was a tire fire when Lou left.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
>thinks Lou left the org in good shape
>checks roster when Shero took over

Lmaooo

Lou was a stubborn ass who didn’t want to rebuild and left us in shambles.

I think the point about the ownership was valid. Lou probably was pushed to get maximum fannies in the seats and to stay competitive. I don’t think it took much since Lou tended to see things that way anyway. To me the issue with Lou was more that he still appeared to see the game in traditional terms and was slow to see the evolution of play and refereeing. I don’t think he ever really understood the salary cap either. Combine that with his NFL style paranoia and he came across like a dinosaur at the end to my eyes even if it was more nuanced than that.

Mike L

Feb 28, 2018
Can someone make a gif of Steve Cangialosi morphing into Herman Monster/Frankenstein.
These 2 have the same exact forehead....

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not, but just because there were ownership issues which (possibly) greatly contributed to the tire fire this organization became, doesn't change the fact that it was a tire fire when Lou left.
Sorry I just can't agree at all.

A good portion of the success we are seeing has it's roots in what Lou left. Wood, Santini,Severson, Coleman... Larsson for Hall, Jagrs picks from a Lou trade for Palmeri, Schneider, Kinkaid, Henrique for Vatenan. Blackwood, Zacha, Speers for his last draft. Shero came to a team with prospects ready to step in, a team with no cap issues
and a ton of picks.

So I can't agree with your assessment on the state of the team when Lou left 34 months ago. Yeah it sucked missing the playoffs and those teams were definitely horrible but this team was left with a lot of assets to succeed.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Sorry I just can't agree at all.

A good portion of the success we are seeing has it's roots in what Lou left. Wood, Santini,Severson, Coleman... Larsson for Hall, Jagrs picks from a Lou trade for Palmeri, Schneider, Kinkaid, Henrique for Vatenan. Blackwood, Zacha, Speers for his last draft. Shero came to a team with prospects ready to step in, a team with no cap space and a ton of picks.

So I can't agree with your assessment on the state of the team when Lou left 34 months ago. Yeah it sucked missing the playoffs and those teams were definitely horrible but this team was left with a lot of assets to succeed.
Every organization has prospects like Wood, Santini, Severson, Coleman, etc. You're not being objective if you think having that group of prospects pan out means we had a good prospect pool when Lou left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad