Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I was Columbus' owner, I would hire Dean Lombardi and begin a total rebuild.

People who say stuff like this generally have no idea what the Jackets have been doing the last few years.

The signings of a few veterans does not change what essentially is a total rebuild under the hood. They've been assembling the next wave the entire time.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
People who say stuff like this generally have no idea what the Jackets have been doing the last few years.

The signings of a few veterans does not change what essentially is a total rebuild under the hood. They've been assembling the next wave the entire time.

Yeah and you should still rebuild more because you can’t fill all the core spots. Just because you have a pile of young players, doesn’t mean you’ll have a competing team. Lombardi will put a whole culture into place, if he’s willing to take the job.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah and you should still rebuild more because you can’t fill all the core spots. Just because you have a pile of young players, doesn’t mean you’ll have a competing team. Lombardi will put a whole culture into place, if he’s willing to take the job.
You are saying words but they don't really mean much. Cool you like Lombardi but you don't think Waddell was brought in to do the same thing?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
They had full upheaval the last year, just lost a beloved star player, they don’t need more upheaval. They need stability and solidity. Waddell is a good GM, he’s not going anywhere.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I don't see them making any moves in this case
Sounds like posturing to get other clubs to pony up more to take on a contract even an ltir one.
Jackets are like an average contract of a cap floor team from reaching the floor. They aren’t needing the full gaudreau $9.75 mill to reach the floor. At around $62 mill now. $65 mill floor divided by 23 man roster is like $2.8 mill average per player or something. That is what they need to add to hit the floor.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Sounds like posturing to get other clubs to pony up more to take on a contract even an ltir one.
Jackets are like an average contract of a cap floor team from reaching the floor. They aren’t needing the full gaudreau $9.75 mill to reach the floor. At around $62 mill now. $65 mill floor divided by 23 man roster is like $2.8 mill average per player or something. That is what they need to add to hit the floor.
Or, they've been told by the league not to worry about it....

They'll make a move when it makes sense to make a move.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Frankly, the Blue Jackets should get an exception given the circumstances. But if they don't, it's still literally nothing to be concerned about. Offer someone in free agency 3M on a year deal or two players 1.5M each and there you go.

One $3m contract would cover it. Two $1.5m contracts would not cover it.

Remember that the number of players on the roster stays at 23, so subtract ~$800k for every player you sign.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Justin Danforth won’t be available for the start of training camp due to injury.

Danforth underwent offseason surgery. However, it appears that the recovery isn’t going as well as possible and he’s set to be re-evaluated on Monday, putting his availability for the start of the regular season in question.

Columbus is going to sign a few forwards or trade for a few forwards before the start of the regular season, Waddell will posture and wait for a week or two for a player and a decent pick for futures.

I could see Tampa dumping Sheary, Pittsburgh dumping one of their 20 bottom 6 centers or even Toronto dumping Timmonds and Robertson.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If I was Columbus' owner, I would hire Dean Lombardi and begin a total rebuild.
Really... so what would you do differently then what's happened the past 3 months and 3 years, is a top 3 prospect pool not good enough? The new coach and GM the wrong choice? Do you actually know anything about the CBJ team?

I guess we have to put a reminder of such things on every page these days.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Are the Leafs going to get the first overall pick next draft because Amirov died from brain cancer? The real world includes plenty of tragedy and we all just move on, without getting a handout, or even a compassionate mention on an internet message board.
How is Amirov comparable to Gaudreau, who was actually playing in the NHL for 9 years? Now, you can disagree CBJ getting anything from Gaudreau's death, but comparing him to a prospect that died, playing 0 games in the league is questionable at best.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Minimum gets $1mil based on the life insurance all players get and a year's salary paid to the family. There could be further supplementals based on their private insurance but that's the league minimum that's publicly available.

As for the contract Johnny is essentially a free agent now and the contract is over.
Ok, thanks. I had some ideas along these lines, but I always prefer the specific facts.
Thanks again for the response. Still feel terrible this family.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Maybe he's confused and thinks Waddell and Lombardi are head coaches.
Since when do head coaches shape

Really... so what would you do differently then what's happened the past 3 months and 3 years, is a top 3 prospect pool not good enough? The new coach and GM the wrong choice? Do you actually know anything about the CBJ team?

I guess we have to put a reminder of such things on every page these days.

So when I read this and all of the other quotes of the CBJ fans like this, I feel bad for you guys. As an LA fan, I remember when LA was like CBJ, never having a truly significant post season, constantly drafting and signing a UFA here or there but never getting past the 2nd round. I know how that feels.
It was even worse for LA, because we got the "chosen one" and kept failing, and even got to a Final and never got to bring the Cup to LA. Never won it, never got far enough in the Final where it at least came to LA, never had a player born in LA who won it on another team and brought it to LA...it sounds a lot like CBJ's plight minus Gretzky and that lone Final appearance. Except for LA it was nearly 40 years where as CBJ has been around like 27 years. So I know that pain.

You guys are asking all of the wrong questions. The CBJ franchise record speaks for itself including the recent record. I don't need to justify how "I would fix this" or "what is exactly wrong". It's OBVIOUS it's wrong. Only six appearances in in 27 years, five of those were first round exits, and one second round exit. Only one playoff series win in 27 years and it doesn't look any better this year either. And not counting any weird qualifying round, only 12 playoff game wins in the entire franchise history.

The question to be asked is not to me; the question to be asked is, is there any way possible to reverse this?

Right now getting a 1OA pick is extremely difficult. Getting a top 5 pick where the player picked actually turns out to be an actual franchise player is tough enough but with so many franchises now, getting 1OA and in a year where there is a true 1OA player is very difficult due to constant expansion. And the only guy I've ever heard of that built a Cup franchise that could go on multiple runs and won more than one Cup without a franchise 1OA is Dean Lombardi (in this cap era). Tampa had Stamkos, Chicago had Kane, Pittsburgh got Crosby, etc.

So the OP asked a question, I answered it. That's what I would do is either get DL or find a DL, someone with the vision to fix the entire franchise culture, both FO and locker room, and put in an entire system for what kind of players to draft and have the game taught the same way from minors to NHL club.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Since when do head coaches shape

So when I read this and all of the other quotes of the CBJ fans like this, I feel bad for you guys. As an LA fan, I remember when LA was like CBJ, never having a truly significant post season, constantly drafting and signing a UFA here or there but never getting past the 2nd round. I know how that feels.
It was even worse for LA, because we got the "chosen one" and kept failing, and even got to a Final and never got to bring the Cup to LA. Never won it, never got far enough in the Final where it at least came to LA, never had a player born in LA who won it on another team and brought it to LA...it sounds a lot like CBJ's plight minus Gretzky and that lone Final appearance. Except for LA it was nearly 40 years where as CBJ has been around like 27 years. So I know that pain.

You guys are asking all of the wrong questions. The CBJ franchise record speaks for itself including the recent record. I don't need to justify how "I would fix this" or "what is exactly wrong". It's OBVIOUS it's wrong. Only six appearances in in 27 years, five of those were first round exits, and one second round exit. Only one playoff series win in 27 years and it doesn't look any better this year either. And not counting any weird qualifying round, only 12 playoff game wins in the entire franchise history.

The question to be asked is not to me; the question to be asked is, is there any way possible to reverse this?

Right now getting a 1OA pick is extremely difficult. Getting a top 5 pick where the player picked actually turns out to be an actual franchise player is tough enough but with so many franchises now, getting 1OA and in a year where there is a true 1OA player is very difficult due to constant expansion. And the only guy I've ever heard of that built a Cup franchise that could go on multiple runs and won more than one Cup without a franchise 1OA is Dean Lombardi (in this cap era). Tampa had Stamkos, Chicago had Kane, Pittsburgh got Crosby, etc.

So the OP asked a question, I answered it. That's what I would do is either get DL or find a DL, someone with the vision to fix the entire franchise culture, both FO and locker room, and put in an entire system for what kind of players to draft and have the game taught the same way from minors to NHL club.
Vegas literally just won a Stanley cup without a #1 overall on their roster. Florida technically has a #1 overall but he wasn't the reason they won a a cup.

Jackets have multiple top 5 picks on the roster and in the system. We don't need Dean Lombardi but thanks for the input.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
How is Amirov comparable to Gaudreau, who was actually playing in the NHL for 9 years? Now, you can disagree CBJ getting anything from Gaudreau's death, but comparing him to a prospect that died, playing 0 games in the league is questionable at best.
My post was tongue-in-cheek and I purposely made the comparison as silly as I could to the silly post I quoted. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad