Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ideally an insured contract so minimal cash cost too

It's the hardest information to find. As a Canuck fan, there's been rumours that Tucker Poolman's contract is uninsured and is often cited as fact. However, I haven't been able to get any confirmation.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d hope they’d get an exception/exemption for the salary cap floor thing. Would be a terrible look if not.

Furthermore, I could also make the case the NHL should award them the 1st overall pick in the 2025 draft. I am assuming they’ll be in the lottery.

I’m not aware of a generational player being there anyway. The organization deserves a helpful break after such an unspeakable tragedy.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
If teams' management groups weren't previously aware of the fragility of life, I have to wonder why they are managing anything at all.
While I agree with your sentiment, it doesn't have any bearing on this situation. Team management groups have no control over the cap requirements, and from a cap planning perspective there is nothing anyone could do to prepare for such a tragedy.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm sorry, but I just find it daft to even consider the league wouldn't make an exemption to CBJ about meeting the cap floor.

There's no chance at all, the NHL (and NHLPA) would force CBJ to meet cap floor with what has happened.

These deaths aren't a chance for YOUR TEAM to dump a bad contract on CBJ. Gimme a break.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just think, as Buffalo has shown us for the better part of a decade, that too much youth with no veteran support can lead to less than stellar results and poor development. I think you need to insulate those lineups with veterans who can contribute in multiple ways. So yes I would agree with Okposo but also having a scoring veteran on the same line as your star prospect could pay dividends as well.

The forwards they currently have could barely crack 40 points last year, and that was with a star player like Gaudreau on the squad.

JVR plays the same type of netfront role that Marchenko and Voronkov love to play.

The Jackets can either sign JVR and move Marchenko/Voronkov down to a checking role (and cut their PP time) or they can acquire a strong checker and have the kids take care of the offensive minutes. I'd make an exception if it's someone who plays a very complete game. The Jackets need help with winning battles and cycling and forechecking, and if that player is also a scorer then great, but no more pure finishers please.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's the hardest information to find. As a Canuck fan, there's been rumours that Tucker Poolman's contract is uninsured and is often cited as fact. However, I haven't been able to get any confirmation.
I think Ferland's deal was not insured and based on his injury history, that didn't surprise anyone. I don't recall Poolman having similar injuries with the Jets.
But, looking at his games played history, closest he came to playing a full season was 39/56 games in the shortened 20/21 season. then it was 57/70 games before Covid hit.

Lehner is on LTIR at a $5 mill cap hit and $4.5 mill in real money, so it's about 20% that the NHL has to cover, so it's only a $900K cash cost to take him on and be securely over the cap floor even if they move Provorov/Kuraly at full retention and add a replacement player later in the season.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I just think, as Buffalo has shown us for the better part of a decade, that too much youth with no veteran support can lead to less than stellar results and poor development. I think you need to insulate those lineups with veterans who can contribute in multiple ways. So yes I would agree with Okposo but also having a scoring veteran on the same line as your star prospect could pay dividends as well.

The forwards they currently have could barely crack 40 points last year, and that was with a star player like Gaudreau on the squad.
What you've outlined is/was not unique to Buffalo. Ottawa, NJ, Edmonton...all had longer term struggles for relevance with the high end picks and only playing youth. Veterans are needed as much as many of us like to push the young players as the future. CBJ needs to add good vets both for leadership and level of play. They can afford to move young players if they are getting back players with either term or RFA future status that are established and can push the team forward. Too many on here continue to push the narrative they need to sell and add picks and prospects. Many of us CBJ fans feel the opposite. They have a really good prospect pool and player group under 23 that needs leadership and example on how to win.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
Its September, what are their options?

I'm guessing the plan wouldn't have changed. They weren't seriously going to challenge for a playoff spot with or without him. Was always going to be a development year.
The Jackets have the triple whammy of missing the offense of not only Gaudreau but the since traded Laine and even Alex Nylander and his 11 goals in 23 games too. Not much left out there that can be added to the roster to compensate but thank goodness they did sign Monahan!!

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The Jackets have the triple whammy of missing the offense of not only Gaudreau but the since traded Laine and even Alex Nylander and his 11 goals in 23 games too. Not much left out there that can be added to the roster to compensate but thank goodness they did sign Monahan!!
Come on, it's not like we signed him in a vacuum. And he nearly went 30/30 last year putting up similar numbers on two different teams in vastly different situations.

If he's healthy and has a little help(hopefully from some of the kids taking the next step) he can produce.

The healthy part is a massive if though.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
We literally just replaced most of the front office not three months ago.
Not mention that they are going to be once again, one of, if not the youngest team in the NHL with a loaded pool of prospects still on their way.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Not mention that they are going to be once again, one of, if not the youngest team in the NHL with a loaded pool of prospects still on their way.

Now I'm going to say this as a self-admitted "haven't looked at CBJ's prospect pool in years" but you tell me who will be the following, who are likely:

Feel free to list as many as you like:
1C
1D
Top pairing RHsD (can be same as 1D)
1G

I won't bother with the rest of the lineup because once you have these, everyone else gets pushed down and finding other players like top 2nd pair D, 1W and 2C become easier. If you guys don't have the listed above candidates, being young doesn't mean much.

At one time LA (my team) had a young team as well with only a 1C candidate (Kopitar) and some top six wingers/forward (Simmonds, Brown, Frolov, Cammelleri, etc. ) and a single 1G candidate (Bernier), that was it. We had to draft Doughty with a 2OA (solved our 1D and top pair RHsD) and we still had to find a 1G candidate on top of Bernier (Quick). Despite all that we still had to make a zillion major trades and deals to fill out the rest.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I’d hope they’d get an exception/exemption for the salary cap floor thing. Would be a terrible look if not.

Furthermore, I could also make the case the NHL should award them the 1st overall pick in the 2025 draft. I am assuming they’ll be in the lottery.

I’m not aware of a generational player being there anyway. The organization deserves a helpful break after such an unspeakable tragedy.
Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Are the Leafs going to get the first overall pick next draft because Amirov died from brain cancer? The real world includes plenty of tragedy and we all just move on, without getting a handout, or even a compassionate mention on an internet message board.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Now I'm going to say this as a self-admitted "haven't looked at CBJ's prospect pool in years" but you tell me who will be the following, who are likely:

1C
1D
1G

I won't bother with the rest of the lineup because once you have these, everyone else gets pushed down and finding other players like top 2nd pair D, 1W and 2C become easier. If you guys don't have the listed above candidates, being young doesn't mean much.

At one time LA (my team) had a young team as well with only a 1C candidate (Kopitar) and some top six wingers/forward (Simmonds, Brown, Frolov, Cammelleri, etc. ) and a single 1G candidate (Bernier), that was it. We had to draft Doughty with a 2OA (solved our 1D and top pair RHsD) and we still had to find a 1G candidate on top of Bernier (Quick). Despite all that we still had to make a zillion major trades and deals to fill out the rest.
Pick one of Fantilli/Lindstrom at 1C, possibly a 1A/B or possible that one plays wing.

Mateychuk/Jiricek right now look to be a future 1D.

We currently already have a #1 LD in Werenski.

And if Tarasov can't stay healthy in net, we have 19 year old Ivanov starting in the KHL and putting up some pretty impressive numbers. We also drafted Evan Gardner this year as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

1C
1D
1G

Fantilli and/or Lindstrom
Jiricek and/or Mateychuk (and Werenski will be around for a while yet)
Jiricek and/or Elick
as yet indeterminate, tho some have hopes for Tarasov and some for Ivanov and some for Greaves and so on; bit early to tell

Reactions: Rorschach

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

1C
1D
1G

Right now we are looking:
-Finally a true 1C canidate with Fantilli and Monahan is going to mentor him
-(Already set) Werenski is still rather young (27) so he still got some good years left
-Jirecek should be atleast a mid-low 1RHD with Werensky
-Ehhhh...jury is still out but seems with how much the media team has been trotting him out to local media/businesses seems like he's the true #1 right now...wait and see on this.

Another notes:
Lets be honest here we are drafting top 5 this year...thats another potential 1C or an S-tier RW
Lindstrom is heading into a candidate to be an S-Tier 2C who on most teams could be a 1C or 1W
Mateychuck has the potential to be a 1LHD has an outside chance to surpass him Werenski...either way looking like a very strong LHD Canidate.
Kent Johnson is looking like at least a 2LW floor with potential for 1LW
We have two very young 2RWs right now...if neither breakout to a true 1RW then we have a major trade piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorschach

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Honestly, go through the motions of getting "over" it.

People won't be over it at the same time. It might take weeks, months, years, or always be in the back of their head.

Their big free agent signing will likely be a bit off and who knows how long for Monahan after going to Columbus to play with Johnny was likely a reason to go there.

I'd say going into this season there's no expectations for the blue Jackets.
I likewise do not wish to be insensitive, which is why I waited to even ask it, but what happens to that contract? Unlike the NFL, NHL contracts are fully guaranteed, but in this case he obviously cannot fulfill his obligation. Big contracts are usually insured, but not always. So hypothetically, if it was not insured, what happens. The wife and kids, etc.? This is just awful to think about.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
This.

Waddell already said folks had reached out with some potential deals for the CBJ to take on salary post-Laine trade. I suspect whatever those discussions were will start again and would likely bring the Jackets above the floor.

I would think that if needed, the NHL would provide some lenience to the organization (maybe an extension of some sort?) given the circumstances. But given that things seemed to be moving in this direction prior to this tragedy, none of that may be needed.

Also, as a CBJ fan, I don't find this thread/question distasteful. It's a reality and it's certainly questions we've been asking ourselves. If folks are uncomfortable with the timing, I certainly understand, but those folks can also ignore the thread.
Thank you, for setting my mind at easy, a bit anyway. The whole thing is terrible, but it also leads to questions.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I likewise do not wish to be insensitive, which is why I waited to even ask it, but what happens to that contract? Unlike the NFL, NHL contracts are fully guaranteed, but in this case he obviously cannot fulfill his obligation. Big contracts are usually insured, but not always. So hypothetically, if it was not insured, what happens. The wife and kids, etc.? This is just awful to think about.
Minimum gets $1mil based on the life insurance all players get and a year's salary paid to the family. There could be further supplementals based on their private insurance but that's the league minimum that's publicly available.

As for the contract Johnny is essentially a free agent now and the contract is over.

Reactions: Astyanax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad