Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Freddy Gaudreau for future considerations.

Gaudreau gets a restart under a coach that has favored him. Columbus gets a semi cheap bottom 6 forward that can act as a Swiss army knife that plays wing and center
You legitimately think replacing Johnny with another "Gaudreau" is a good idea?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'm sure the NHL's ruling on a cap exception will be known shortly, maybe a a day or two after the service on Monday
I imagine that it's already known. Yes, Gaudreau's death is a tragedy and I can see maybe not conducting any business that's going to attract too much public attention. But I would be surprised if less than a day went by after Gaudreau's death before Don Waddell was in touch with the NHL offices about the effects of Gaudreau's death on the cap. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Jackets already have moves lined to get to the cap floor but just won't announce them until later this week after the funeral.

But, as always, I could be wrong.

Reactions: Dumais

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I imagine Bettman would've already told Waddell not to worry about the cap floor. And I'm sure that GMs around the league have already talked about this situation happening to their own team and what should be done. Nothing will happen until a board of governors meeting, that will likely discuss issues like this, be it an unexpected death or a player being sent to prison, etc. basically situations that would be considered;, outside the control of the team.

People say that this tragedy effects the entire hockey world, As time goes by, there will be new rules for these types of situation. But the people thinking Bettman will punish CBJ for being under the cap to start the season, need to give their head a shake. Other GMs won't allow that kind of precedent to be set, with the possibility for it to be used against themselves later.

But this coming from people who, if their own team had lost players, and no one that will top 60pts this year, we know what they would want their team to do? trade for cap dumps and bottom 6 players.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I honestly don't get the whole cap floor exemption bit. Maybe if this had happened during the season, I could see the league giving them a couple of weeks to get up to the floor, but in this case, they have a month. Why do they need more time?

Gaudreau's death is a tragedy and people in the Blue Jackets organization will have heavy hearts. But that should not make them incapable of doing their jobs.

But, as always, I could be wrong.

Reactions: byrath

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
People die all the time. When it happens to those closest to us, we might get 3, maybe 5 or 10 days off if we're lucky. Meanwhile we send the kids to school, pay our bills, organize funerals and take care of business while we grive the ones we loved most.

Only someone who has lived an extremely sheltered life would think that somehow, it's inconceivable to ask Don Waddell, not even Gaudreau's relative, to do his job and get to the cap floor with more than a month's notice.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
People die all the time. When it happens to those closest to us, we might get 3, maybe 5 or 10 days off if we're lucky. Meanwhile we send the kids to school, pay our bills, organize funerals and take care of business while we grive the ones we loved most.

Only someone who has lived an extremely sheltered life would think that somehow, it's inconceivable to ask Don Waddell, not even Gaudreau's relative, to do his job and get to the cap floor with more than a month's notice.
Agreed

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'd imagine that Clb will get a reprieve on meeting the cap floor for the season. As an organization, they will grieve as they should while simultaneously planning the next steps and will focus on the longterm, likely telling fans while they will work to put an "exciting" product on the ice, will in fact expect and plan to finish bottom 3 for the next 2 to 3 seasons as they enter a deeper rebuild...

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It's a CBA issue, which requires PA to signoff if an exception is granted. PA job is to do what is best for their players. With current members without contracts, they'd more likely do not agree to an exception. Because a team that doesn't have the cap room if given the space, may actually use it if they free up cap space and sign other players.

As a whole, players have had to return money to the league, so even if an exception was granted, the players would more than likely owe escrow back to the NHL vs the NHL owing the players money.
This. I don't see why people want to see the CBJ's to get to get an exemption.

JG contract was already looking like one of the worst in the league. This is not a reflection on him as a human or this tragedy but it is true.

The Jackets do not need any further compensation other than the CAP relief from the contract.

There is no reason for a player to not get a contract this season that is deserved based on the terms of the CBE.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I imagine Bettman would've already told Waddell not to worry about the cap floor.

Bettman represents the owners, but the cap floor is there for the benefit of the players. It's the cap ceiling that benefits the owners. So, it's logical to assume that it would be the NHLPA, and not Bettman, which needs to agree to an exemption being granted to Columbus for this tragic circumstance.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017

This is the weirdest straw man ever. People aren't pro giving the cap exemption in the name of mourning here. The season starts in a month. Draft happened, free agency happened. We're starting training camp. Teams are largely set in stone here. It's the worst time of year to attempt to make moves like this.

Also, everyone says oh just sign a guy. You can't force a guy to sign with you. They have to want to. Im a CBJ fan, but unfortunately I see a world where a guy would rather not sign here. Just roll the dice and hope for another opening as the season progresses.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This. I don't see why people want to see the CBJ's to get to get an exemption.

JG contract was already looking like one of the worst in the league. This is not a reflection on him as a human or this tragedy but it is true.

The Jackets do not need any further compensation other than the CAP relief from the contract.

There is no reason for a player to not get a contract this season that is deserved based on the terms of the CBE.
JG's contract is going to be paid out. The actual compensation hasn't changed. No player has been denied their entitled to compensation.

And the Jackets can just as easily trade for an existing contract rather than sign someone who is currently unsigned. So there is no guarantee an unsigned player now gets a job.

The issue here isn't actually the tragic death, it's the TIMING of it coming fairly close to the deadline and at a point when rosters are largely set.

Again, as several folks have said, this all may be moot since Waddell was already talking about adding a contract prior to this.

The floor exists to prevent teams from cheaping out and icing non competitive teams. That is clearly not the situation here. The team's BEST, not to mention highest paid, player suddenly died. Columbus wasn't trying to game shit and I feel fairly certain that if they were granted God like powers they would take the player over the savings.

If we want to go to an extreme example to make a point what I think would be unfair is a scenario where it's down to the deadline and a team says "take this contract and since you're over a barrell you also have to give us a 1st round pick too" or something ridiculous like that.

Again, I don't think that would happen and I suspect this will get resolved without much drama but I absolutely believe Columbus should get a little leeway here to make a fair decision for their organization if they need it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
JG's contract is going to be paid out. The actual compensation hasn't changed. No player has been denied their entitled to compensation.

Again, I don't think that would happen and I suspect this will get resolved without much drama but I absolutely believe Columbus should get a little leeway here to make a fair decision for their organization if they need it.
It's a small amount in around $3 mill to hit the cap floor. That's like the average value of an NHL contract these days. And it doesn't have to be a warm body. Could be an LTIR player which would cost CBJ nothing to acquire and more than likely a draft pick to take on and pay out the small % that is not covered by insurance. (from what I read on Hossa/Bolland, it's about 20% that the team needs to cover).

As for the remainder of the JG contract, that's going to take time for the family to get a payout (full value). I don't think it falls on the CBJ to pay it out, would be from insurance. May end up having to go to court to get it paid out.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's a small amount in around $3 mill to hit the cap floor. That's like the average value of an NHL contract these days. And it doesn't have to be a warm body. Could be an LTIR player which would cost CBJ nothing to acquire and more than likely a draft pick to take on and pay out the small % that is not covered by insurance. (from what I read on Hossa/Bolland, it's about 20% that the team needs to cover).

As for the remainder of the JG contract, that's going to take time for the family to get a payout (full value). I don't think it falls on the CBJ to pay it out, would be from insurance. May end up having to go to court to get it paid out.
I agree there are several possible solutions and, again, I think something will get worked out.

What I disagree with is the stance that no special consideration -- if needed -- from the league (and union, obviously) is warranted. This is very clearly a unique situation. Columbus should have to hit the floor like everyone else but, given the timing here, I don't think they should have to fix that in the next month if they don't see a reasonable way to do so. Management should have some freedom to fix this in a fair and reasonable way.

Reactions: ricky0034

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

And the Jackets can just as easily trade for an existing contract rather than sign someone who is currently unsigned. So there is no guarantee an unsigned player now gets a job.

The issue here isn't actually the tragic death, it's the TIMING of it coming fairly close to the deadline and at a point when rosters are largely set.

Again, as several folks have said, this all may be moot since Waddell was already talking about adding a contract prior to this.

The floor exists to prevent teams from cheaping out and icing non competitive teams. That is clearly not the situation here. The team's BEST, not to mention highest paid, player suddenly died. Columbus wasn't trying to game shit and I feel fairly certain that if they were granted God like powers they would take the player over the savings.

If we want to go to an extreme example to make a point what I think would be unfair is a scenario where it's down to the deadline and a team says "take this contract and since you're over a barrell you also have to give us a 1st round pick too" or something ridiculous like that.

Unless CBJ has said otherwise I don't think his contract will be paid out. There will be a 1 year payout, which will be covered by insurance and that's that.

Also, if Columbus takes a bad contract from someone else, they could use it to sign someone.

Point still stands, Columbus should still need to reach the cap floor because it's the rules and it can effect how other players get paid.

The fact that JG contract was poor value also negates any particular overwhelming need to "set things right".

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I agree there are several possible solutions and, again, I think something will get worked out.

What I disagree with is the stance that no special consideration -- if needed -- from the league (and union, obviously) is warranted. This is very clearly a unique situation. Columbus should have to hit the floor like everyone else but, given the timing here, I don't think they should have to fix that in the next month if they don't see a reasonable way to do so. Management should have some freedom to fix this in a fair and reasonable way.
There won't be any "special consideration." Neither the union nor the league has any interest in anything but business, and there's no threat of bad PR in this case because it's Columbus. A week earlier everyone was in full agreement with Craig Button and full-steam ahead with the usual "lol Blue Jackets" and "Johnny retired in summer 2022 lmao" jokes. Search "Columbus" on this very website with the date limited to before August 29th. The Blue Jackets don't get to have nice things.

And that also doesn't matter. It will be easy enough to become compliant because it's not very much money. Absolutely no chance anyone signs as a FA to join that locker room no matter if that's their only chance at NHL money or not, and no way anyone with any kind of trade protection will accept a trade either. Waddell also isn't stupid. He ate shit to get rid of Laine who didn't want to be there. Therefore it'll have to be a trade of future considerations for an LTIR player who'll never actually put on the union blue or ever set foot in the city. And there's plenty of those to go around.

Reactions: Viqsi

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This is the weirdest straw man ever. People aren't pro giving the cap exemption in the name of mourning here. The season starts in a month. Draft happened, free agency happened. We're starting training camp. Teams are largely set in stone here. It's the worst time of year to attempt to make moves like this.

Also, everyone says oh just sign a guy. You can't force a guy to sign with you. They have to want to. Im a CBJ fan, but unfortunately I see a world where a guy would rather not sign here. Just roll the dice and hope for another opening as the season progresses.
Yeah well, those are even weirder objections.

First of all, teams are not "set in stone". They never are, and even less so when training camp hasn't even started. Some youngsters will steal spots that they weren't supposed to compete for, some hot shot prospects will disappoint and not win a spot.

Lots of teams have things up in the air too. The Bruins, for instance, used to have one of the best goaltending duo in the league, now we don't even know who will be in net and what other pieces they might have to move to make all of this fit.

There are a lot of players on the market. Not necessarily just those you hear about in the news like Gibson, but other guys.

Acting like finding an extra 2.6M to reach the floor is a significant hurdle is completely ridiculous. Waddell can pick up the phone and find a dozen teams that will be ready to trade/dump a 3/4/5M forward on a one or two year contract in no time.

As for free agents one wanting to play in Columbus... offer them a bag and they will magically accept. That's what the Hawks have been doing lately to attract veterans.

It's not rocket science. And it certainly doesn't take an entire month to figure out.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023

This is a lousy argument. The amount of time off someone gets from their employer has nothing to do with salary cap rules. No one is claiming Don W. is unwilling or unable to do his job.

The amount in this scenario can be managed in a variety of ways, and I'm sure it will resolved soon enough. But I also think it raises significant questions that the league is likely to address in the next CBA. For example, what if this happened to Conner McDavid and Leon Draisaitl? Or if a team lost 5+ players in a common accident? Would that team then be expected to sign replacement level players to contract amounts they would never receive on the open market just to hit the cap floor?

Reactions: Fro

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a lousy argument. The amount of time off someone gets from their employer has nothing to do with salary cap rules. No one is claiming Don W. is unwilling or unable to do his job.

The amount in this scenario can be managed in a variety of ways, and I'm sure it will resolved soon enough. But I also think it raises significant questions that the league is likely to address in the next CBA. For example, what if this happened to Conner McDavid and Leon Draisaitl? Or if a team lost 5+ players in a common accident? Would that team then be expected to sign replacement level players to contract amounts they would never receive on the open market just to hit the cap floor?
Any and everything would require PA and nhl approval. IMO at most the cba may provide a time line or process that is required as each situation would be unique.

So they wouldn’t be able put out any hard deadlines in place. Just layout procedures to follow.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
But this coming from people who, if their own team had lost players, and no one that will top 60pts this year, we know what they would want their team to do? trade for cap dumps and bottom 6 plplayers.

Well, I'd want my team to use the cap space to trade for short term cap dumps and get some picks...

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

If a team lost so many players that it was an actual burden then the league should look at an exemption. This is not the case for the CBJ. Sign an FA or two or trade for a cap dump that comes with picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad